Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinking the week before a race?

Options
  • 25-09-2012 11:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've a half marathon coming up in two weeks. I've done a bit of training and hope to do a mediocre time (1.25-1.30).

The problem is I've an important birthday to attend on the Saturday before and, despite my best efforts, will probably end up getting drunk.

I plan do do an 11 mile run on Saturday and then take it easy til race (maybe an easy 5mile on the Weds or Thurs).

My question is, will getting drunk on Saturday have much of an impact on my time the following Saturday?

Will 7 days be enough to recover and do a time as good as if I'd not drunk at all?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

ebixa82 wrote: »
    Hi,

I've a half marathon coming up in two weeks. I've done a bit of training and hope to do a mediocre time (1.25-1.30).

The problem is I've an important birthday to attend on the Saturday before and, despite my best efforts, will probably end up getting drunk.

I plan do do an 11 mile run on Saturday and then take it easy til race (maybe an easy 5mile on the Weds or Thurs).

My question is, will getting drunk on Saturday have much of an impact on my time the following Saturday?

Will 7 days be enough to recover and do a time as good as if I'd not drunk at all?

Personally if the race is important to you i would be skipping the "getting drunk" bit. I would also avoid the "taking it easy bit" far to many people see taper as putting the feet up and doing nothing which should not be the case.
    Frequency of sessions should be maintained whilst reducing volume and intensity.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

I've done both in the past and a week to recover sounds fine to me. Go out and enjoy yourself. We have to have a balance in life. However, if you are seriously chasing a time goal then I'd stay off it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Personally if the race is important to you i would be skipping the "getting drunk" bit. I would also avoid the "taking it easy bit" far to many people see taper as putting the feet up and doing nothing which should not be the case.
    Frequency of sessions should be maintained whilst reducing volume and intensity.

I won't be taking it easy as such. 5mile run but will probably do some bike work and swim.

My main question is, will drinking on Saturday really have that much of an impact on my time 7 days later?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I won't be taking it easy as such. 5mile run but will probably do a turbo trainer session on bike one of the days and a swim another day.

My main question is, will drinking on Saturday really have that much of an impact on my time 7 days later?

Unfortunately I can't see myself not drinking, a major weakness of character on my part, I will be the first to agree!

You want people to say "No of course not, go out on the lash, it will make no difference" so...

No of course not, go out on the lash, it will make no difference, and by the way that taper sounds fantastic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

tunney wrote: »
    You want people to say "No of course not, go out on the lash, it will make no difference" so...

No of course not, go out on the lash, it will make no difference, and by the way that taper sounds fantastic.

No I was looking for people's own experience such as Jogathon's above who answered my question sufficently.

<<snip>>

• Advertisement

No I was looking for people's own experience such as Jogathon's above who answered my question sufficently.
    While ignoring JBs advice and experience. Jogathon also said if chasing a time don't. Blinkers on

<<snip>>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

It's a whole week before the race-I doubt it'll have much effect on times at that stage.

Hi,

Firstly the alcohol on the Saturday night will impair your recovery from the 11 mile run on Saturday.

It will take a few days to recovery from the night out so your taper week, had you planned one, would be a write-off. However based on your description above your plan does not include a taper week.

Normally I would have assumed that placing an 11 mile run the week before a half marathon meant that you were training through the half marathon in pursuit of a different goal, typically a marathon. However you are in effect taking the rest of the week off so this doesn't make sense either.

For most I would have argued that a night on the lash 7 days out from an important race would hinder optimal performance. However, having thought further about the OP, the drinking is the not the most significant issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

If the party is more important than the race (and you are determined to get drunk), then it won't have much impact on a mediocre time.

All things being equal, you'd run a faster time without getting drunk a week before a goal race. (Excess calories, a poison in your system, lost training, lethargy... none of these are good coming up to a goal race).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

All please keep it civil and keep the charter in mind

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »
    While ignoring JBs advice and experience. Jogathon also said if chasing a time don't. Blinkers on

<<snip>>

Just to clarify what was snipped was a quote of something said about me and not one of my comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Hi,

I've a half marathon coming up in two weeks. I've done a bit of training and hope to do a mediocre time (1.25-1.30)

No. But if you think its a mediocre time, should you even care that much anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

As alluded to earlier i think i would be more concerned with how you are structuring your final taper week than the going out and getting drunk. What way was your last "big week" structured.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement