Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TT Bike Dilemma - Build or buy

Options
  • 25-09-2012 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm sure you have seem a million +1 of these type questions.
    I started into triathlons over the past few summers and after completing my first IM 70.3 i've really caught the bug.
    I've used a racing bike with clip on tri bars up until now however looking to invest in a TT specific bike(yes boys and their toys....).
    I'm looking into two different options:
    1) Go with a new Felt B16 with Ultegra groupset costing ~€1700 at present and upgrade with a set of race wheels down the road
    or
    2) Invest in a second hand B2 (2009 or 2010) frameset and built bike over winter buying a second hand Ultegra groupset and second hand wheelset.

I like the idea of building my own bike. While it would be new to me it would be a nice project for winter months however not really sure of the benefits as the two frameset seem to be fairly similiar (in my knowledge less opinion). Plan was to put together and get LBS to give it service/once over to ensure road worthy.

Am i as well to go with safer option of buying lower level bike from shop?

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

A lot of shops that sell TT bikes try and get rid of this years(and stock still left from last year) in the last quarter of the year.

Also its usually cheaper to buy a bike than to purchase the parts individually.
    Take you time and wait for some deal that screams at you.

Advertisement