Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why no Tri club in south east Dublin?

Options
  • 24-09-2012 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭

After training solo for my first triathlon this year I was considering joining a local club over the winter months. With a full time job, a wife, 3 kids and a dog to attend to before I pull on some lycra and head out the door, trying to stay local is key. I'm based in Shankill, on the sea and the Dublin/Wicklow border; I can swim, bike and run pretty much on my own doorstep.

However, while there's a selection of clubs on the Northside, Belcamp in Rathfarnham or Wicklow in...em...Wicklow seem to be my closest option. Any of these would require a minimum of an hours of travel time in addition to time spent breaking a sweat.
    Seems very strange to me that with huge population base, some of the most popular open water swimming venues along the coast, a plethora of pools and parks as well as the foothills of the Dublin and Wicklow mountains so close by there's not a club to be seen.

Is there a reason for this? Am I wrong and have I overlooked someone? Can anyone recommend a beginner-friendly club where I won't burn more petrol than calories?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

Pulse are based just off the tallaght exit of the M50-woudlnt be too bad
    big club and very begginer friendly.
    I'm living in Sandyford and joined them this year - delighted i did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

cjt156 wrote: »
    After training solo for my first triathlon this year I was considering joining a local club over the winter months. With a full time job, a wife, 3 kids and a dog to attend to before I pull on some lycra and head out the door, trying to stay local is key. I'm based in Shankill, on the sea and the Dublin/Wicklow border; I can swim, bike and run pretty much on my own doorstep.

However, while there's a selection of clubs on the Northside, Belcamp in Rathfarnham or Wicklow in...em...Wicklow seem to be my closest option. Any of these would require a minimum of an hours of travel time in addition to time spent breaking a sweat.
    Seems very strange to me that with huge population base, some of the most popular open water swimming venues along the coast, a plethora of pools and parks as well as the foothills of the Dublin and Wicklow mountains so close by there's not a club to be seen.

Is there a reason for this? Am I wrong and have I overlooked someone? Can anyone recommend a beginner-friendly club where I won't burn more petrol than calories?

AFAIK, Wicklow Tri is based largely around Bray/Greystones....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Wicklow Tri are the closest. Most run sessions are done in Greystones and in Shanganagh Park. Cycles are around North Wicklow / Roundwood / Ashford area with MTB (not a sanctioned club / TI event) taking place in Glen of the Downs, Ballinstoe Woods. Swims take place in Greystones & Wicklow.

Many of the members are South Dublin / North Wicklow based. You will find theres a good chance of car pooling for the organised club sessions and you may meet up with someone from you area to do your own training.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

T3 I believe are based around UCD area.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Yeah T3 train in Sandymount/Seapoint/UCD

Pulse are better though. :)

• Advertisement

Yeah T3 train in Sandymount/Seapoint/UCD

Pulse are better though. :)

How are they doing in the National Championships? ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

How are they doing in the National Championships? ;)

Better than T3 in both the male and female categories https://www.triathlonireland-newserver.com/club-championship.html :p

Better than T3 in both the male and female categories https://www.triathlonireland-newserver.com/club-championship.html :p

But not as good as Wicklow!! :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

when is a race over ?

t3 females should break 2900 points which is not bad for a club that had its 50th member in july.

Advertisement