Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are these insects?

Options
  • 23-09-2012 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

Has anybody else noticed a flying insect in their house that looks like a mosquito only bigger (it's about the same size as a house fly)? I've seen loads of them in the past while and last year too.

They don't seem to bite and appear pretty harmless. Anbody know what they are?

(They're definitely not Crane Flies/Daddy Long Legs which are much bigger).
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

It seems every year there's a new species of annoying insect that just seem to be all over the place.

It's like mother nature is releasing a new model every year just to **** with us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Mayfly? A small Cranefly!? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Brundlefly. Does it look like Jef Goldblum?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

If it's what my friend has sent me pictures of they are mosquitoes. Culex pipiens to be exact which is a common kind of house mosquito. He said there's been loads of them recently and I seen them last time I was back in Ireland a few months ago. Bastards are everywhere here in Oklahoma too. Look up that type of mosquito and see if it's what you see in your house. They are quite big and dangly looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

NedNew2 wrote: »
    Has anybody else noticed a flying insect in their house that looks like a mosquito only bigger (it's about the same size as a house fly)? I've seen loads of them in the past while and last year too.

They don't seem to bite and appear pretty harmless. Anbody know what they are?

(They're definitely not Crane Flies/Daddy Long Legs which are much bigger).

Serious question: they're not just big mosquitos?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

They're the new google maps mapping drones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Mayfly? A small Cranefly!? :eek:

certainly, go ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭NedNew2

It's definitely not a may-fly. I'll try catch one and have a closer look to see if it could be a house mosquito.

If it's what my friend has sent me pictures of they are mosquitoes. Culex pipiens to be exact which is a common kind of house mosquito. He said there's been loads of them recently and I seen them last time I was back in Ireland a few months ago. Bastards are everywhere here in Oklahoma too. Look up that type of mosquito and see if it's what you see in your house. They are quite big and dangly looking.

Yes, that's it. I got a good look at one and it matches the picture in Wikipedia.

They're loads of them. And I thought I was safe from mosquitos in Ireland.

Hope the cold weather will kill 'em off soon. They can't have enjoyed last night very much...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

How can it be bigger than a mosquito and yet smaller than a housefly? That doesnt make sense to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭MadameGascar

If it has a long nose type thingy its probably a mosquito, I found one eating away at my arm this week could see my blood going up through the sucker, you won't feel it 'till it itches.:mad: My one was smaller than usual too.

How can it be bigger than a mosquito and yet smaller than a housefly? That doesnt make sense to me.

Its bigger than the typical mosquitos that have feasted on me abroad and it's about the same size as a house fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭passatman86

are these the one that vibrate up and down on the spot ( no sick jokes needed ) lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

NedNew2 wrote: »
    Yes, that's it. I got a good look at one and it matches the picture in Wikipedia.

They're loads of them. And I thought I was safe from mosquitos in Ireland.

Hope the cold weather will kill 'em off soon. They can't have enjoyed last night very much...

Common misconception that mosquitos don't do well in cold weather.

They thrive in places like Siberia and northern canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Ray Dow

The stairwell of my apartment block is infested with them. Def looks like the culex pipien mosquito described above, I just caught one in the apartment and had a good look at the bastard. I have NEVER seen mozzies in Ireland before and I have a particular interest as I'm allergic to them, I get savaged when abroad and have to load up on antihistamines and repellent etc.

Are these guys a new arrival or does anybody know what's causing the invasion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 leena13

Hi a while ago I was walking and a massive bluey green flying insect like a mosquito flew right over my head it was long and slender with 4 skinny wings and like a needle shape on its behind this was in kilkenny city I only seen one can anyone tell me what it was thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

leena13 wrote: »
    Hi a while ago I was walking and a massive bluey green flying insect like a mosquito flew right over my head it was long and slender with 4III skinny wings and like a needle shape on its behind this was in kilkenny city I only seen one can anyone tell me what it was thanks

Dragonfly?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

If you were near a river or lake or something yup, I would say it was a dragonfly, fairly common over here....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Sounds like a dragonfly alright. One of the most majestic and tastiest of critters in the insect kingdom.

http://www.earthtimes.org/newsimage/dragonflies_11612.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭JonEBGud

Could be Fly By Nights.
    Hit you when you least
    expect it.
    Beware.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭SunDog

Hi a while ago I was walking and a massive bluey green flying insect like a mosquito flew right over my head it was long and slender with 4 skinny wings and like a needle shape on its behind this was in kilkenny city I only seen one can anyone tell me what it was thanks
    Or a hoarse fly. Next time try and let one bite you. If it hurts like hell you found yourself one.
    Op, we have plenty of mosquitoes in this country. They think I'm a buffet.

the words "massive" and "mosquito" don't really go together.

Mozzies are usually pretty small ****ers and as El Horseboxo said earlier in this thread are becoming more common in Ireland, and usually look like this...

http://foreignpolicyblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/c.-pipiens-mosquito-on-human-body-www.biolib.cz-by-Northern-House-Mosquito-534x368-32KB.jpg

Most species of mozzies tend to be smaller than house flies...

Advertisement