Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Challenge Series - Ironman Distance

Options
  • 20-09-2012 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

Hey all, has anyone ever done one of these races?

I don't know much about them but was a little late to the party for Austria and Frankfurt next year.

So i had a look at these and took a fancy to Challenge Copenhagen.

Any info at all would be great. Price seems decent too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

I was looking stuff up on line a few months back about the challenge series and IM races and Challenge Roth gets great reviews nearly every time i found a mention of it

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

Yeah that seems ot be the big one, 5000 entrants. Chrissie Wellington always goes on about that.

That one is sold out though. Still if they are run by the same team i'd hope they are organised well i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

jester1980 wrote: »
    Yeah that seems ot be the big one, 5000 entrants. Chrissie Wellington always goes on about that.

That one is sold out though. Still if they are run by the same team i'd hope they are organised well i suppose.

ye that would be my thinking too. I'm sure someone will be along shortly with info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

miller82 wrote: »
    ye that would be my thinking too. I'm sure someone will be along shortly with info.

Barcelona and Copenhagen also get very decent reviews and there's a few threads with reports here somewhere if you search around (e.g. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64073879). They have a different vibe to IM brand and maybe not as big a crowd but are very well run events by accounts I've heard. Well worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dx22

A good few from here are doing Challenge Barcelona on Sunday week (me included) so keep an eye out on the training logs for post race reports!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

Perfect, will have a look at that so.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dx22

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I did Barcelona last year and loved every minute of it. Great location and really well organised. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭SucCes09

What about the heat in Barcalona? I'd melt if it got up over 20 degrees...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

It was 30 celsius last year. An experience but all good! :cool:

Edit: no shade on the run either. Nice breeze on the bike and the swim was beautiful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

SucCes09 wrote: »
    What about the heat in Barcalona? I'd melt if it got up over 20 degrees...

Heat on the day range probably 20-25c going by previous records
    Because of the time of the year probably one of the cooler locations to choose for a long distance triathlon.
    Rarely any long event would have temp below 20C, with possibly IM Wales & Challenge Henley the best exceptions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

I did Challenge Copenhagen two years ago and thought it was exceptionally well organised. The aid stations on the bike and run are well stocked, and have plenty of volunteers on hand.
    Public transport in the city is very good and it's easy get to the swim venue for practice swims in the days before the event. You'll probably be staying in a city centre hotel, but Copenhagen is so well set up for cycling that it will be possible to cycle fast here as well.

Advertisement