Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[GEAR] Compex

Options
  • 19-09-2012 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

I'd written off the slendertone type gadgets a long time ago after seeing the suspect adverts marketing the kit as an alternative to doing exercise. Recently I spotted a few different photos of Kilian Jornet using the compex kit as part of recovery.. and have since discovered a bunch of different athletes using the Compex kit. So it got me wondering again. What's the verdict of boards - another fad or is there solid science to back up using kit like that as part of training or recovery?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

This yoke? http://www.shopcompex.com/

The idea behind those slendertone thingys is similar to many of the electrotherapy techniques that physios use - think they originally based them on faradics.

I guess by activating the muscles it will help shift out the gunk and get the blood flowing so it'd be similar to doing a recovery session you just get to sit on your ass while you're doing it and save your energy to do full on sessions instead of wasting training time doing a recovery session, is that the idea behind it? they use the compex instead of doing a recovery session?

In injury treatment electrotherapy was/is used to retrain muscles after surgery and to teach it how to work again, stop muscle wastage while injured etc. It can and does improve muscle tone and increase blood circulation so it definitely works - whether it's as effective as the sort of training/recovery sessions we'd all do is another thing I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I always wondered did the use something like this in the Matrix. Cause I don't know how else they could hop out and start walking and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

i remember once reading that it works on some body parts quite well..... but i think that was on slowtwitch and no science paper ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

This yoke? http://www.shopcompex.com/

is that the idea behind it? they use the compex instead of doing a recovery session?

Aye, that's the gizmo, and the impression I got!

tunney wrote: »
    I always wondered did the use something like this in the Matrix. Cause I don't know how else they could hop out and start walking and stuff.

In related stuff... I saw someone on the space station did a "triathlon" on a bunch of ergo trainers. I think they cheated on the swim because.. well.. you cant swim in space :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Course you can swim in space

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

She looks like she could do with a bigger pull buoy :D

Advertisement