Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting to play for money.

Options
  • 18-09-2012 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭

This is a thread for all new bands who have started or wish to start playing at gigs for money, be it in a pub or venue. Please share any information you have(please try be civil) or past experience.

I guess i'll get started my band Same Time Tomorrow recently played at my uncle's wedding. It was our fifth gig and we'd really only play originals when playing at the other small ones. But at the wedding we only played covers and had a great reaction. Im wondering is this a great way to start making money to buy equipment, going to local bars and playing classic tunes to gain some recognition?Or is it "selling out"?

Bands who play covers for money 1 vote

"Sellouts" who will never make it
    0% 0 votes
    Dudes who think they should get paid for their effort
    100% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

FionnK86 wrote: »
    This is a thread for all new bands who have started or wish to start playing at gigs for money, be it in a pub or venue. Please share any information you have(please try be civil) or past experience.

I guess i'll get started my band Same Time Tomorrow recently played at my uncle's wedding. It was our fifth gig and we'd really only play originals when playing at the other small ones. But at the wedding we only played covers and had a great reaction. Im wondering is this a great way to start making money to buy equipment, going to local bars and playing classic tunes to gain some recognition?Or is it "selling out"?

While its probably not a great way of getting 'recognised', as you will be getting recognised for doing covers, when you want your original music at the fore, its certainly NOT selling out! Ignore anyone who says it is. If you are relatively inexperienced, covers can be a great way of honing your musicianship, as well as making a few quid for equipment. The only risk, is letting the few quid dominate yee, in other words get too used to getting paid a few quid so that it becomes about getting a bit of drinking money etc:)
    IMO, the best band to come out of this country for a long time is 'O Emperor', and they were doing covers for years to make some quidage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

JimiTime wrote: »
    Ignore anyone who says it is. If you are relatively inexperienced, covers can be a great way of honing your musicianship, as well as making a few quid for equipment.

This. All experience is good experience and if it keeps you playing live/practicing regularly then all the better.

I think there was a reggae band who went under the name "King Sativa" when doing their own tunes and "Buffalo Soul Jah" when doing Bob Marley cover gigs.

One setup ends up paying for the other.

I've heard playing in cover bands can be soul destroying, I've never had too much of the experience. Maybe as in the example above, doing a tribute band as opposed to the standard covers set is a better way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭TwoTokeTommy

I'd say go for it, but do it your way. Hermitage Green as an example, seen them live and they were really enjoyable... and now they've started playing their own stuff too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

I've heard playing in cover bands can be soul destroying

yes and no :)

In my opinion, cover bands and original bands are apples and oranges.

Advertisement