Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coke and training/racing

Options
  • 18-09-2012 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

I have noticed a few people at Galway HIM drinking coke but presummed it was something else,and they were handing it out during the race (i kept thinking they were saying something else and a strong Galway accent was making it hard for me to figure out). I had a quick gander around the interweb and there seems to be mixed views on drinking coke during endurance events, but it seems to be talked about a fair bit.

Just wondering do many people here drink it ?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

It's usually flat coke. Simple sugars and caffeine provide an almost instant energy boost.

I've taken it in ultras, not for the above reason but because eventually water, energy drink and energy gels all taste rancid and it's an easy way to get much needed calories and fluids into you. I don't think and seriously doubt there are any benefits to it over traditional sports nutrition other than the fact it tastes nicer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I often reward myself with a can of coke if out for a 4 or 5hr long endurance ride. I also have taken coke towards the end of an IM, i found i got an instant hit from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I often reward myself with a can of coke if out for a 4 or 5hr long endurance ride. I also have taken coke towards the end of an IM, i found i got an instant hit from it.

Towards the end of an IM............

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I heard (anecdotally) that if youre going to start taking cola (coke just sounds wrong :) ) that you need to keep taking it for the duration of the race. Im not sure why people would say this or if there is any truth to it.

I usually avoid it but I had it after DCT and it was the nicest thing ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

You should read the feed zone cookbook by Allen Lim, he talks around refueling during/after exercise and how things like cake/coke/etc can be perfectly fine at certain times.

It's like with taking protein after weights, you want something like whey. If you're taking carbs after exercise (intense type stuff) then simple sugars are fine. It's not that complex.

I follow that kind of advice, and have no problems with eating whatever I want (at specific times based on what I've just done/am about to do) and keeping bodyweight and bodyfat all in control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I prefer Pepsi..

I tried fueling a race on diet coke. Not a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I tried taking it on the run in Barcelona last year and nearly got sick. I stuck with water and gels after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭griffin100

It brought me to life at the start of my first ever IM marathon when I was on my knees and it field me through said marathon, but it's never had that type of effect on me again. I've used it sparingly in my last two IM marathons not taking it until well into the second half of the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

I had a fuel belt with flat coke for Killarney as a just in case this year, and I did use it found it fine, no side effects.
    not sure if the + side was the actual coke or a change from gels, and energy drink.

Never had to use it in training (yet)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

pity since diet energy drinks are in fashion those days
    The guys that invented those are pure genius, I mean Diet energy drink how much better does it get... they squared the circle )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

peter kern wrote: »
    The guys that invented those are pure genius, I mean Diet energy drink how much better does it get... they squared the circle )

Can't beat....

221128.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

its a true statement so iam fine with that. but still super funny
    Can't beat....

221128.jpg

peter kern wrote: »
    pity since diet energy drinks are in fashion those days

They are pure genius. They understand their target audience and they understand their target audiences naivety, how trusting and stupid they are and sell to those traits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

based on the title, this thread isn't as exciting as i thought it was going to be :D

Advertisement