Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lunch time training

Options
  • 17-09-2012 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if many people do some training sessions on lunch and if so what ?

I've signed up for IM Austria, and i'm thinking that i should get a session in once or twice a week during lunch. Would only have about 45mins of actual training time, so i suppose a run or core session are the obvious candidates.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

miller82 wrote: »
    Just wondering if many people do some training sessions on lunch and if so what ?

I've signed up for IM Austria, and i'm thinking that i should get a session in once or twice a week during lunch. Would only have about 45mins of actual training time, so i suppose a run or core session are the obvious candidates.

I aim to run 5 lunch hours a week, 45-50 minutes. I probably only hit 4 of them buts its miles done with no impact at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

For me I try to run or swim at lunch. I usually get 4 lunch time sessions per week. 3 runs and 1 swim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

It normally covers a large portion of my training every week, 5 sessions, as Tunney says without impacting at home. I either s/b/r but running is the handiest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

cheers lads. will be doing swimming with the club twice a week, so will probably do more runs than swims.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Breaks up the workday nicely too! I always have a lot more energy in the afternoon following a run / swim at lunch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I generally try to run 3 to 4 lunch breaks a week too. I do go over my hour sometimes though but i'm on flexi time and it just anything beyond 1hr from my balance and ive generally loads of time to use up. Fortunately i have a changing room and shower all to myself (bar 1 or 2 colleagues) so i leave all my shirts there during the week. Very very handy. Baby wipes are another option for those without the facilities

Depending on the industry that you work in it can have a huge boost in productivity.

I know if I get stuck on a technical/design issue that nine times out of then if I go for a run and then sit down after lunch I've solved the problem sub-consciously while running. I

for those of you saying you do S/R on lunch, would many of you you cycle to work as well ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

for those of you saying you do S/R on lunch, would many of you you cycle to work as well ?

Yes, bike commute + swim or run at lunchtime...free training time without using up time at home.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

It normally covers a large portion of my training every week, 5 sessions, as Tunney says without impacting at home. I either s/b/r but running is the handiest.

What sort of bike would you get in in that time? Wouldn't see myself getting in quality sessions in anything but running (or core work) if I only had 45 minutes.

• Advertisement

What sort of bike would you get in in that time? Wouldn't see myself getting in quality sessions in anything but running (or core work) if I only had 45 minutes.

my thinking too.
    possibly swimming. 40/45mins straight through, no drills or stopping

Well i can stretch my breaks out for an hour and allow 10mins getting ready/showering as i work enough hours in the day. Plenty of work you can get done in a 45min to 60min window on the bike but often they can be just easy ones during lunchtime. A work commute for me on the bike would only be 3.5km:)

Well i can stretch my breaks out for an hour and allow 10mins getting ready/showering as i work enough hours in the day. Plenty of work you can get done in a 45min to 60min window on the bike but often they can be just easy ones during lunchtime. A work commute for me on the bike would only be 3.5km:)

Likewise "hey any issues with a 1:15 lunch if I'm in/stay 15 minutes earlier/later?"

Turbo trainer in the basement.

(joke, but only cause we have no basement, I know people that do this)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 IronmanJNR

I commute most days to work also ,So on the morning leg of the trip during the season I reagulary run for about 20 mins off the bike .. it just turns your regluar stop /start commute in a semi decent workout ..

Tempo's or recovery runs (which ever is required ) for lunch time

Free Training !!!

ye , all sounds good.

three showers a day is going to be a pain in the hoop

Be glad you have access to showers ;-)

If you are into tri seriously you would be doing plenty of double days anyway so you will naturally be showering a lot (well you'd hope so anyway!)

I cycle to work most days too but it is only 4k each way! I can get a good time trial home though as its largely slightly uphill and has only a few stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Silly question, when do you have lunch if you're busy training?

ye , all sounds good.

three showers a day is going to be a pain in the hoop

One Shower and lots Lynx ;)

For me i get an hour... Changed ,stretched and ready to walk out the door at 1300, 40 min run, 10 rinse / wash ;)

Down the lunch in 10 mins... sambo, fruit ect

• Advertisement

non customer facing roles may mean munch a sambo at the desk

yep i'll just munch at the desk

I'll either nip off after going ton the desk for 5/10mins or have something i can have at the desk. It does require having a lunch prepared so I generally get that ready the night before.

tunney wrote: »

non customer facing roles may mean munch a sambo at the desk

Yep that's it

tunney wrote: »
    Turbo trainer in the basement.

(joke, but only cause we have no basement, I know people that do this)

I actually have a spare office beside mine that i am considering putting a cheap turbo in so i can get some specific sessions in at lunch over Winter. Just gives another window of opportunity to get sessions in. It helps that our offices are away from the masses, no windows to front of the offices and the door can be locked on the inside...pretty sure none of the staff wants to see me in a sweaty mess hanging off the turbo:rolleyes:

Lunch always at the desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Breakfast, lunch and snacks all at the desk

Advertisement