Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Outlaw

Options
  • 13-09-2012 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Registration has just opened for The Outlaw in Nottingham next year, July 8, 2013. I've signed up (Christ, makes me queasy even writing that). It'll be my first long distance race and I'm just wondering is anyone else considering it?

Am planning on concentrating on a good bit of strength and conditioning work between now and Christmas, then moving the focus completely to swim, bike, run from Jan 1. Will probably do Dublin marathon (am in half decent nick after training for the Lost Sheep this summer) and the Clonakilty half-mara in December - couldn't face the full course, I train on it and it is savage.

Anyway ... am now in a nervous state of excitement and nausea at the size of the task I've committed to. Am no great athlete, would love to do this thing around the 12.30 mark. Anyone else out there looking at the same race, let me know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

MayoRoadRunner did it last year so it would be worth getting his insights on the race.

Best of luck with it :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

pgibbo wrote: »
    MayoRoadRunner did it last year so it would be worth getting his insights on the race.

Race Report from him here

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I had to go through the whole registration process just to find out how much it costs. £250 if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Therapysucks

Thanks lads. That report is quite in depth, he's a great runner and biker that fella. Will drop him a line and see if he can supply any insider secrets.

Yeah, Oryx, £250 for any race is a bit saucy. I hope the kids don't mind not eating for the last few days of the month, but it does seem a whole lot cheaper than the IM races or the Challenge series. A lot of reviews suggest that this race is as big, and as good a 'big race experience', as either IM Wales or UK. But aside from the cash incentive, the lake swim and the flat course appeal. Of course there is a brand whore part of me that's niggling at the back of my mind but the rational part of me is saying this is the one to go for.

It's on July 8 which means the whole summer won't be destroyed by training and will be able to spend some time with the kids. Will hopefully be able to get the lend of a campervan and make it the first part of a family trek around the UK. Am working hard on convincing myself this is a good plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Have you seen it on Eurosport - they have an hour show on it and it has been playing recently - looks like a good race, voted triathlon of the year last year

• Advertisement

catweazle wrote: »
    Have you seen it on Eurosport - they have an hour show on it and it has been playing recently - looks like a good race, voted triathlon of the year last year

Saw that - Harry Wiltshire only deciding the few days before the race to give the thing a lash and then going on to win it. Makes you think that when the current crop of Brit ITU Olympic athletes do go long when they're a bit older, they'll destroy everyone.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The price is actually ok. Wimbleball HIM is £210

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭MayoRoadRunner

Thanks lads. That report is quite in depth, he's a great runner and biker that fella. Will drop him a line and see if he can supply any insider secrets.

Yeah, Oryx, £250 for any race is a bit saucy. I hope the kids don't mind not eating for the last few days of the month, but it does seem a whole lot cheaper than the IM races or the Challenge series. A lot of reviews suggest that this race is as big, and as good a 'big race experience', as either IM Wales or UK. But aside from the cash incentive, the lake swim and the flat course appeal. Of course there is a brand whore part of me that's niggling at the back of my mind but the rational part of me is saying this is the one to go for.

It's on July 8 which means the whole summer won't be destroyed by training and will be able to spend some time with the kids. Will hopefully be able to get the lend of a campervan and make it the first part of a family trek around the UK. Am working hard on convincing myself this is a good plan!

Hi Therapysucks, just seen this thread now.

If its your first Iron distance race then I would highly recommend the Outlaw. Numbers are just right that you have company along the route but not too big a field that the swim start is chaos.
    As you rightly point out above I am a **** swimmer - the Outlaw swim is in a man made lake regatta (used for rowing) so its essentially two lengths of a very long swimming pool. No need for sighting and the start is very well organised so that they have the good swimmers starting in a separate area to the rest of us elephants. Never had a swim start as relaxed and stress free as I did in the Outlaw this year.
    Bike route is nice but it was very windy this year. I understand that Nottingham and its surrounds gets its fair share of wind so be prepared for that. The only gripe I would have about the bike course was the last few miles which were through private roads that you wouldn't see running through a bog in the west of ireland. Kind of made a balls of decent bike split.
    Run is four flat laps with plenty of support and lots of aid stations and more importantly lots of portaloos!
    Food at the end was top notch.
    If you want to dip your toe into the world of long distance without the swim start mallee of a big IM branded race then go for it - its getting bigger and bigger and looks like it will sell out this year well in advance. You also have the advantage of being able to drive to the race from here (which we done) which takes the stress out of flying with your bike.
    I have signed up for IM Frankfurt next year - just to experience the roads over there and aim for a time. Oh and the better half wanted the IM branded bag. Women!

Hi Therapysucks, just seen this thread now.

If its your first Iron distance race then I would highly recommend the Outlaw. Numbers are just right that you have company along the route but not too big a field that the swim start is chaos.
    As you rightly point out above I am a **** swimmer - the Outlaw swim is in a man made lake regatta (used for rowing) so its essentially two lengths of a very long swimming pool. No need for sighting and the start is very well organised so that they have the good swimmers starting in a separate area to the rest of us elephants. Never had a swim start as relaxed and stress free as I did in the Outlaw this year.
    Bike route is nice but it was very windy this year. I understand that Nottingham and its surrounds gets its fair share of wind so be prepared for that. The only gripe I would have about the bike course was the last few miles which were through private roads that you wouldn't see running through a bog in the west of ireland. Kind of made a balls of decent bike split.
    Run is four flat laps with plenty of support and lots of aid stations and more importantly lots of portaloos!
    Food at the end was top notch.
    If you want to dip your toe into the world of long distance without the swim start mallee of a big IM branded race then go for it - its getting bigger and bigger and looks like it will sell out this year well in advance. You also have the advantage of being able to drive to the race from here (which we done) which takes the stress out of flying with your bike.
    I have signed up for IM Frankfurt next year - just to experience the roads over there and aim for a time. Oh and the better half wanted the IM branded bag. Women!

Oi Mayo! I never said you couldn't swim, you just bloody well run and bike so fast the swim pales in comparison! It's the run that'll murder me, I always fall back on the last leg. Lugging a 6'6" frame around trying to trip up the small fellas as they skip by.

Anyway, thanks very much for that feedback, really appreciate it. Looking forward to the whole package now, setting goals, getting the training done and the race itself. It sold out in a week, entries are already closed for 2013 - they must be doing something right.

I can understand the lure of an IM race. If this one goes ok I'll probably have to stick the name down for one, same as yourself. The other half would rather a more exotic trip than Nottingham. I've told her to get a second job for when I'm training. She loved that.

I've bought Going Long by Joe Friel which seems like a really detailed read but doesn't supply actual training programmes - just loads of suggested drills and particular sessions. Anyone any recommendations for a programme to follow? I have a fairly good idea in my own head of the approach I'll take but would appreciate suggestions too. If anyone was interested I'd start a training log like a number of the other animals have done.

I take it you've entered then?

I saw yesterday that there were only 50 places left. Very popular race :cool:

• Advertisement

Yeah Pgibbo, entered the day after it opened. Figured it would sell out fast based on the good reports from last couple of years. Seems like a good one for newbies, reasonably priced and no major mountains to climb.

Good stuff. Best of luck with it. Enjoy the journey, as they say. Another IM log would be good to follow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Saw that - Harry Wiltshire only deciding the few days before the race to give the thing a lash and then going on to win it. Makes you think that when the current crop of Brit ITU Olympic athletes do go long when they're a bit older, they'll destroy everyone.

2013 will see a big shift to 70.3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Saw on twitter this morning its full.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BarCanTri

Signed up for this one too for my first long distance. Persuaded by the Eurosport show on this year's event and proximity, cost and likely moderate weather. I wouldn't be built for the heat, like. Will look into training programme during a rest week or three after i get first marathon under the belt in Dublin in (oh, Feck!!), 4 weeks.

Advertisement