Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half iron man/iron man?? ADVICE

Options
  • 09-09-2012 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

Hey,just look looking for some advice. Have done triathlons before and considering half iron man or maybe an iron man next year. Ive got time to train but looking for a starting point. Firstly,can anyone recommend a half/full iron man abroad that would be worth looking at. secondly, what kind of training regime is needed as I'd say its quiete different to triathlon. Any perals of wisdom will be taken on board. Cheers Lads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

Hi

I did my first Ironman in wales last year (actually this day last year).
    Each year, I stepped up the distance, year 1 - sprint, year 2 - olympic, year 3, half ironman and year 4 full ironman.

Have you done a Marathon yet. Training for a half is much much easier that a full. It's a very different animal. Ironman is the same.

You should do the half first. There are a few halves in Ireland for a fraction of the price for an official half ironman. I bought Don Finks book and kept to his intermediate training. I might have skipped the friday run. That training plan has races during it, so you can structure races around your training. I also tells you what position you are in i.e. if you work to do or if your on target.

If you going for the full, it does take up a lot of your time. The last full weeks of hard training are tough. The hardest week has 6 hours on the bike with an hour run after it. Seven hours of exercise in a row. That's only Saturday. Sunday there;s a three hour run and then an hour on the bike later on. Thanks God Monday is a rest day!!!!!

I'd generally be quite slim and I lost a lot of weight. I ended up being about 10 stone. I'm 5 10'!!!

Have the t-shirt, have the medal, thrilled to have done it. Not the time I wanted but that only means I have to do another one!!!! Maybe next year!!!!

Sweden has one this year and it looks interesting. Only question is getting there.

Micar

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Many of the popular IMs book out almost a year in advance. So you need to decide quickly if you want to do one of those. Halves don't sell out madly like that. Its up to you to decide which distance to go for but it would be good to have tried a half before attempting the longer distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭glennbhoy

did lost sheep yesterday,its possible depending what your goal time

did 4 sprints 2 olympics, 2 duthlons and 2 aquathons this year

Jined a club and trained hard

Before starting i couldnt swim 50m wthout being tanked , average bike, average runner ( had done a marathon and gaelforce though before november)

it all depends how bad do you want it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Karlrove

cheers lads for all the advice. I think i'll try half ironman...how long do you rekon id need to train for it? any recommendations on one to do... none here in ireland it seems till summer next year...thanks again lads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

Hi

Tri an Mhi is a half. Sometime next May.
    Athy has a double Olympic around the June bank holiday.
    Both would be perfect.
    Micar

• Advertisement
Advertisement