Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

your 2012 highlight

Options
  • 08-09-2012 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭

with another tri season almost done and dusted for this year, what has been your personal highlight for the year?

For me, its the improvement from last year. Last year my first sprint was athlone and finished it in 1.35 and this year i finished it in 1.20...also grabbing a PB of 1.16 at the worlds end tri ranks up there as well

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

For me taking 18 minutes off my 70.3 bike and 16 mins off my 70.3 run relative to last year has got to be the highlight.

(all thanks to training with my Polar ;) )

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I still consider myself slow, so times aren't a highlight for me this year. My standout moment was the wonderful non-wetsuit IM swim in the wurthersee in Austria, going into the water with 2400 others, and then swimming in the most pleasant conditions Ive ever been in, with warm vivid blue water, amazing visibility, and the sun beaming on your back. It ranks as one of the most memorable things I've ever done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Oryx wrote: »
    I still consider myself slow, so times aren't a highlight for me this year. My standout moment was the wonderful non-wetsuit IM swim in the wurthersee in Austria, going into the water with 2400 others, and then swimming in the most pleasant conditions Ive ever been in, with warm vivid blue water, amazing visibility, and the sun beaming on your back. It ranks as one of the most memorable things I've ever done.
    +1
    It was so good I didn't want to get out :)

Also a solid 2 weeks mid IM training where I knocked out okJoey oly tri, long cycle,, half marathon pb, and ok Tri an Mhi without much bother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Highlight was actually finishing a race:), in all seriousness yet to have a "highlight" hoping to put that right soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Highlights:

1. Swim part of Eiremanx- choppy waves, thrown about, organizers had a Duathlon option for those too intimidated. Great swim.
    2. Today's swim in Glendalough- a great day, gave it all I had in a unique location.
    3. Getting a squeeze of Oryx.

Lowlights:

1. Swim part of Tri the Hook- choppy waves, thrown about, organizers allowed swim to be massively truncated to appease those too intimidated. Potential great swim stopped for spurious Elf and Safety.
    2. Injury stopping participation in Valentia Tri.
    3. Not getting a squeeze of Dory.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

On second thoughts my highlight was being one of Kurts highlights ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Oryx wrote: »
    On second thoughts my highlight was being one of Kurts highlights ;)

With this kind of "highlight brown-nosing" going on, I may have to see that squeeze and raise it a peck to stay highlight-competitive if ever given the opportunity. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Abu Dhabi Long course: Julie Dibens (pro) looking for a Trek bike for a promo shot and the video guy asking me for mine.

Fantastic!

Guy shows it to her and she goes, "Ehhh, no thanks, we'll have to do it without a bike"

Dissed by awesomeness:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Cracking my swim, in July i couldn't swim 50m non stop. By the end of August i was doing 2k non stop.

It was a big deal for me, no point in being able to do big distances on the bike/run if you can't swim:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

Finishing my first Olympic Distance race

Finishing my first Half Iron distance race

Finishing my first Full Iron Distance race

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Highlights:
    Finishing 11th in my first sprint tri.
    Finishing the Athy double, and almost 30min ahead of schedule.
    Finishing my first Iron, and over 1 hour ahead of schedule
    A new marathon PB

Lowlights:
    Unable to do the HOW
    Misisng the sub 5 in Athy double by 1.5min
    not a low point but I was not happy with the run in the ironman (nit picking I know)
    I felt it was a good year; was it too good and will I be able to go better?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Quiet year for me so far

Highlights

Sorting out the Achilles.
    5k and Half Marathon PBs
    Bike times improved a bit too

Lowlight

Lost the grá for the swimming for a long while- it's coming back now.
    Chickened out of shaving my legs.

Got the World Champs in Auckland to go, which will be a nice holiday at least. I expect to be very much back of the pack.

Advertisement