Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

drum lessons

Options
  • 07-09-2012 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hey guys dunno if this is the right section but I've been playing guitar 13 years and I always wanted to play drums so went and bought a drum kit used obviously. The hi hat is missing somethin between them so the pedal doesn't work so need to know what to get I've got a Tom snare and bass drum. But anyway besides the point does anyone here wanna give me lessons? I've a ear for a beat and kinda figured out my sharona by the knack but need lessons on technique basic beats etc. Let me know dudes I will pay btw and im from cork

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭jus_tin4

you missing a hi hat clutch it seems! your local music shop should have the parts:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

I'm doing a bit of drum programming and have been getting some of the basic drumming info, terminology and technique together.
    It may be of some help.
    You can check it out here:

http://programmingdrums.blogspot.ie/2012/08/basic-rules-for-programming-drums.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

tommyalph wrote: »
    Hey guys dunno if this is the right section but I've been playing guitar 13 years and I always wanted to play drums so went and bought a drum kit used obviously. The hi hat is missing somethin between them so the pedal doesn't work so need to know what to get I've got a Tom snare and bass drum. But anyway besides the point does anyone here wanna give me lessons? I've a ear for a beat and kinda figured out my sharona by the knack but need lessons on technique basic beats etc. Let me know dudes I will pay btw and im from cork

I'd love to hear your version of My Sharona. That's not the easiest to play on the kit. For me anyway. Though I can't say I've had a go at it in quite a while.

I'd suggest lessons... even online ones, to get you started. Youtube has lots of decent instructional videos. Start basic, start slow and build up to more complicated, and indeed faster patterns.
    Here's what you need for the hats...
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/search_dir.html?xsid=2d717a820d5e83bad013138069c0a9ed&sw=clutch&x=0&y=0

As you can see, there's loads of options. My advice is never to cheap out on drum hardware. It'll serve you better if you get good solid equipment. I'd avoid Millenium hardware, as in my experience it degrades quickly. You can never go too far wrong with Pearl hardware.

That's a nice page there Raindog, though I disagree with your "playing ahead/behind the beat section". This isn't something assigned a genre. It's most often a style thing, and is to do with the drummer. I play funk, and I'm not playing behind the beat, unless it's stylistically required. There will be jazz drummers who play behind and jazz drummers who are always on the beat. If your page is designed for beginners, I'd remove that section. Or maybe you just haven't expanded on it yet? Still, very good page. Fair play to ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

Thanks Doctor Loon, you are correct that I haven't expanded that section. You're also correct that I should remove it. I reckon it is something you can do after you have become very comfortable with playing and does no favours to anyone programming as it's something that would be very hard to program.
    A short paragraph maybe explaining that it happens, so the programmer would be aware of it as a style/effect rather than mistake might be best.

I sat down the other day and added a load to it on technique for playing the hi-hat [Chick, Splash, open, closed, closed tight etc] and when I went back to it the next day the work was gone. Horrible bloody feeling.

Anyway, any other suggestions are more than welcome. It is a work in progress that I'll keep adding to, the more I learn.

IN THE POCKET!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 BRNBRN

Hi Tommyalph,
    i could teach you some things! I currently live in Berlin, Germany but I will be in Dublin from October to January! Do you live in this area?

• Advertisement
Advertisement