Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail hot food

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Wote

What the missus and I do on our occasional Eurostar trips is to buy a half bottle of wine and cook up some chicken legs and bring some crusty french bread for lunch.

Rather civilised and all for less than six quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 nigra

Now that the pandemic is mostly behind us and public transport is back to 100% capacity, albeit with mandatory masks, does anyone know when it might be possible to buy food or drink of any kind on a train in Ireland? I'm also curious if anyone knows whether the enterprise service is already back to offering food...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

No catering on IE or Enterprise service.

I can't see this changing for at least 6 months, its just not viable to operate catering with such low numbers traveling plus it probally needs to be tendered out first to see if an operator is interested.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You need quite a lot of customers for onboard catering to work. Demand is only back on weekends - the weekday morning Sligo service which would have been packed to the gills this time of year in 2019 (actually too packed for the trolley to work, really) now has entire empty seat bays of 4+4 for instance.

It'll be 6 weeks or so until there is any chance of the college and office reopenings to bring demand back up.

As for tenders, I would assume the existing contract is in place and just suspended.

Advertisement