Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body Composition- Weight

Options
  • 29-08-2012 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what a healthy racing weight is for triathletes. Lately have been told i look anorexic (by different people)and am wondering if i have lost too much weight.. At the moment i am 170lbs..approx 12 stone 4
    Am 6ft 2 in height......While i have lost only about 8 lbs in the last year i have put muscle on in my legs so my body composition is changing ie have lost more than 8lbs in upper torso face and put on some of it back to legs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

There was a link recently to a calculator which gave 'ideal' weights for height and then a se of parameters to adjust depending on your sport. I think Tunney might have had it in his log.

I'm not sure how accurate it is because my ideal weight results were just ridiculously low ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

I wouldn't pay attention, if you use the useless BMI scale you're 21.8. I'm 18.1 on the useless BMI scale, and ain't nothing wrong with me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Test your BF%, if it is over 8% then you can loose more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Whats your BF%?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Whats your BF%?
    10%

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

BennyMul wrote: »

Looks like nonsense. Telling me I should be almost 2 stone heavier.

Nonsense

10%

Thats what i guessed from the last time i seen you, still a bit to go to get really lean.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Thinly veiled "I'm skinnier than you" thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

mloc123 wrote: »
    Thinly veiled "I'm skinnier than you" thread

Thinly veiled use of the work "Thinly"

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Thats what i guessed from the last time i seen you, still a bit to go to get really lean.

What he's trying to say is you should start looking up those websites that bulimic teenage girls use, the ones that teach you how to pretend to eat your dinner to fool your family etc.

10% body fat, your a disgusting fat pig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

How do ye measure your BF%?

kingQuez wrote: »
    I use the tanita bf scales. How accurate i dont know but the lads on here recommended it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'd need to lose a lot of weight based on that.
    I use the tanita bf scales. How accurate i dont know but the lads on here recommended it.

Callipers much more accurate, but you need a second pair of hands to do that properly really(but even that can be questionable). Tanita scales about as accurate as you'll get on your own though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

10%
    I saw you on sunday and after you shouted at me I had a close look at you and i would not have called you too skinny ;-)
    but you can relax your shoulders a bit more when you run and you seem to use your glutes much when you run and a very long ground contact time ;-)

10%
    I saw you on sunday and after you shouted at me I had a close look at you and i would not have called you too skinny ;-)
    but you can relax your shoulders a bit more when you run and you dont seem to use your glutes much when you run and a very long ground contact time ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Callipers much more accurate, but you need a second pair of hands to do that properly really(but even that can be questionable). Tanita scales about as accurate as you'll get on your own though.

I know someone who used the calipers and also got a dexa scan done recently (i think, some sort of xray magic), and using the calipers was a reasonable amount out. It's led me to wonder how good all these measurements are, even though I'd be interested in knowing for curiosity's sake.

I know someone who used the calipers and also got a dexa scan done recently (i think, some sort of xray magic), and using the calipers was a reasonable amount out. It's led me to wonder how good all these measurements are, even though I'd be interested in knowing for curiosity's sake.

Well yeah I guess dexa and bod pods are supposedly the most accurate. If three of us measured yours with a calipers we'd all get different numbers. Gives you a general idea I guess - UCD or TCD do a decent body fat measurement as part of their VO2 testing.

The tanita scales in one of the gyms I worked in had an athlete setting, if you chose the athlete setting your BF would be a couple of % lower than if you didn't.

Are only more accurate if the person using them injured what they are doing.

Provided your testing procedure is correct them the results from a tanita scales will be repeatable. Not necessarily so with calipers.

Back to the OP, my take is and always has been to tell the wife "I don't give a sh1t if you think I look sick. I think I can lose more weight" sometimes the wife needs to be told where to go!

(Disclaimer: for most is probably the wife. My wife understands that the nearly dying look is desirable. For me it's the mother, none they less the time comes to say "f off do i comment on your weight")

peter kern wrote: »
    10%
    but you can relax your shoulders a bit more when you run and you seem to use your glutes much when you run and a very long ground contact time ;-)
    Always open to constructive critiscism Peter...and stride length?

• Advertisement

10%
    but you can relax your shoulders a bit more when you run and you dont seem to use your glutes much when you run and a very long ground contact time ;-)

This is the ultimate test. if Peter says you need to lose weight then you do. Put the pie down Bryan!

(I'm not actually joking, Mr kerns is brutal in his honesty and his assessment of weight is usually bang on, to clarify further I admire, respect and value brutal honesty)

10%
    Always open to constructive critiscism Peter...and stride length?

Is long good for an IM focused athlete? Mr Sutton, a certain Germans hero, would say not.

Long contract time would suggest to me slightly over striding.

tunney wrote: »

Are only more accurate if the person using them injured what they are doing.

Provided your testing procedure is correct them the results from a tanita scales will be repeatable. Not necessarily so with calipers.

Back to the OP, my take is and always has been to tell the wife "I don't give a sh1t if you think I look sick. I think I can lose more weight" sometimes the wife needs to be told where to go!

(Disclaimer: for most is probably the wife. My wife understands that the nearly dying look is desirable. For me it's the mother, none they less the time comes to say "f off do i comment on your weight")
    Was not the missus..she sees me every day .....i agree though when they said it my exact thought was i dont comment on ur weight.. more annoying than anything

I know I am nowhere near race weight as nobody has said I look sick looking in a while.

Was not the missus..she sees me every day .....i agree though when they said it my exact thought was i dont comment on ur weight.. more annoying than anything

People think they can comment on us. Weight, how obsessed we are etc..

I don't comment on how you turn up every morning talking about how many bottles you drank last night or which scumbag waster was buying you drink. The smarmy comments I used to get were unreal, from people who were supposed to be promoting a healthy lifestyle...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Don't forget the simple test as mentioned previously by LCD and others - if you jump in front of a mirror and there's a wobble then you have more to lose ;)

pgibbo wrote: »
    Don't forget the simple test as mentioned previously by LCD and others - if you jump in front of a mirror and there's a wobble then you have more to lose ;)

LCD can feck off, the "jiggle test" is mine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

tunney wrote: »
    LCD can feck off, the "jiggle test" is mine :)

I find the jiggle test you mention and the 8% you referenced above tie in quite close to eachother from experience.

I wouldn't trust those tanita scales, maybe if you had a reference point from a bod pod or caliper test you could use the tanita scales (assuming they're consistent with themselves) as a gauge to see if you're on the right path or not, but would take everything they say with a pinch of salt.

d4r3n wrote: »
    I find the jiggle test you mention and the 8% you referenced above tie in quite close to eachother from experience.

I wouldn't trust those tanita scales, maybe if you had a reference point from a bod pod or caliper test you could use the tanita scales (assuming they're consistent with themselves) as a gauge to see if you're on the right path or not, but would take everything they say with a pinch of salt.

Ah yeah completely, not accurate but if you do it the same way at the same time of day its consistent with itself.

• Advertisement

i did not say needs to lose weight, I thought it was very good.
    At the same time somebody once said if they call you anorexic you still have five pounds to go, for your proper race weight.
    At the same time when you start to lose power and get ill while losing weight, NOT GOOD.

Generally, I cant actually believe people that train properly measire bodyfat, thats a bit too obsessive in my mind . enjoy that choclate. I would be very very worried if my clients would measure their body fat . A quick look in the mirror or checking how the jeans fits is by far enough. Scales are not neccesary , either, for most people and put mostly more pressure on people minds than doing any good.
    But again for number junkies if it works fine by me.

Different people just have different bodies and not everybody is made to look like a kenyan there is quite a few elite females that damage their body trying to be too light. I dodnt like comments to much that if people have not reached a certain body fat level they need to lose weight.

as for stride lenght what dave says would agree with me, but it was ok. too me, its more that you run too much in front off yourself .

Advertisement