Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triathletes + Stretching

Options
  • 28-08-2012 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭

brett suttontrisutto
    Stretching. It is necassary in extended range of motion sports, it has little value4 triathletes , other than2 increase the risk injury

Any thoughts or opinions? :D

Not seeking medical advice just opinions.

BTW - Miranda totally agreed and said she never stretches plus has never been injured. Leanda called him out on BS. However, I think she has a history of being injured??? ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Never do anything before and might do a few stretches just before the shower while waiting for the water to heat up. I have recently started sticking on a pair of Lidl Compression stocks after long runs but not sure if its just a Placebo for me or not.

Used to have trouble with my hamstrings as a young GAA player but besides a small Achilles strain earlier in the year that kept me away from running for a few weeks I haven't been injured (thinking about it now I do the odd achilles stretch that the physio prescribed from time to time when i think of it)

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dx22

If i dont stretch i get knee pain so i dont agree with Brett Sutton in fact i think what he says is pure horsesh1t

While others may not need to stretch as much as me i think it has to benefit your swim stroke lenght, your aero position/comfort on bike and help with injury prevention

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

catweazle wrote: »
    Never do anything before and might do a few stretches just before the shower while waiting for the water to heat up.it)

Wait til yiz all get older, you'll regret not stretching after a workout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

I'm firmly in the "no stretching" corner - more out of laziness than anything else.

Touch wood, I stay relatively injury-free, so I haven't felt an obligation to start including it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

foam rolling and long static stretching up to 30 mins before and sometimes after every bike, run and gym session

if i'm going for a run I also do dynamic stretching beforehand of just after a short warm up run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

If I don't stretch I get pain in my left knee on long runs or pain in my right lower back and hamstring during sprints.

Advertisement