Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turbo training

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

This made me laugh,
    "Of course the most obvious answer is simply to HTFU".

Two piddly fans myself and need to upgrade to an industrial sized one. How much difference do people find between road & turbo in terms of effort/power? Never really pay attention to it although i know i can push more watts out on the road than the turbo.
    I am actually looking forward to some Winter turbo sessions especially if i end up going with a CT as fed up with software glitches with the Tacx.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

I don't use a fan on the turbo, usually 24/25 degrees and no airflow, tend to just live with the heat and end up sweating buckets like Christy Moore.

I find the effort easier on the turbo than outdoors too, thought it was strange at first but recalibrate it once warmed up and mid session sometimes, still easier than outdoors. I'd guess it's to do with the variability of power outdoors, I find it a lot easier to just sit at tempo/threshold watts on the turbo and watch the clock count down.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

d4r3n wrote: »
    I don't use a fan on the turbo, usually 24/25 degrees and no airflow, tend to just live with the heat and end up sweating buckets like Christy Moore.

I find the effort easier on the turbo than outdoors too, thought it was strange at first but recalibrate it once warmed up and mid session sometimes, still easier than outdoors. I'd guess it's to do with the variability of power outdoors, I find it a lot easier to just sit at tempo/threshold watts on the turbo and watch the clock count down.

If you are sweating that much its an issue to be honest.

This made me laugh,
    "Of course the most obvious answer is simply to HTFU".

Two piddly fans myself and need to upgrade to an industrial sized one. How much difference do people find between road & turbo in terms of effort/power? Never really pay attention to it although i know i can push more watts out on the road than the turbo.
    I am actually looking forward to some Winter turbo sessions especially if i end up going with a CT as fed up with software glitches with the Tacx.

Trying to find an industrial sized fan. Glenda will appreciate it as presently there are two permanent turbo set ups - mine and hers. Did my first his and hers turbo session last week :)

tunney wrote: »

Yea, I've been meaning to get a fan. In the meantime I just tend to sip on some water (with salt tablets) every few minutes so I don't get too dehydrated, I do like the heat though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I sweat that much no matter if i have 3 fans, if its outdoor or its freezing. Thats just me:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Not at all, I've yet to get a fan and so am soaked after a session. Same if I was to do a hard 10-12km on a threadmill.

Some people sweat more than others while exercising. Not necessarily a sign of any underlying health issues.

Less of the scaremongering please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

ebixa82 wrote: »
    Not at all, I've yet to get a fan and so am soaked after a session. Same if I was to do a hard 10-12km on a threadmill.

Some people sweat more than others while exercising. Not necessarily a sign of any underlying health issues.

Less of the scaremongering please.

I don't think Tunney was saying it's an underlying health issue. More so that if you're sweating that much then your body is not performing optimally so you are limiting the benefit you might get from a session.

I don't think Tunney was saying it's an underlying health issue. More so that if you're sweating that much then your body is not performing optimally so you are limiting the benefit you might get from a session.

How would you adjust a turbo session to ensure optimum performance/reduce sweating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Trying to find an industrial sized fan. Glenda will appreciate it as presently there are two permanent turbo set ups - mine and hers. Did my first his and hers turbo session last week :)

Cool, the odd time Michelle uses my turbo she has to change the saddle height up seen as i am vertically challenged:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

How would you adjust a turbo session to ensure optimum performance/reduce sweating?

We sweat to cool ourselves down. As the sweat evaporates the air next to our bodies increases in humidity and it's ability to absorb the moisture we are sweating dimishes and therefore we don't cool down as quickly as our body may need to. A fan will move the air around and replace the air near your body with fresh dry air that can continue to absorb evaporating sweat and we should be able to regulate our body temperature and perform better.

That's the theory anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭griffin100

Does nobody turbo outdoors? I seem to remember Metaldog (an old IM logger) did his turbos in the back garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

griffin100 wrote: »
    Does nobody turbo outdoors? I seem to remember Metaldog (an old IM logger) did his turbos in the back garden.

Yep - I'm banished to the kids timber playhouse down the back - no need for fans!

griffin100 wrote: »

I did a few way back when. Sometimes certain sessions are too dangerous for the road.

I tried a few sessions boll*ck naked but the neighbours asked me to stop.

I tried a few sessions boll*ck naked but the neighbours asked me to stop.

That's half the fun of turboing indoors, can wear (or not) what you like :)

On a related note can anyone recommend a decent type of fan for turbo sessions?

Are two, one either side essential or will one do the job?

On a related note can anyone recommend a decent type of fan for turbo sessions?

Are two, one either side essential or will one do the job?

See this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056739176

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Keep getting banner ads for industrial fans now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Keep getting banner ads for industrial fans now :rolleyes:

Whatever floats your boat ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement