Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Required gear for first tri

Options
  • 27-08-2012 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm doing my first sprint triathlon in a couple of weeks and was just wondering is there anything required besides the obvious wetsuit, bike & change of clothes? I presume there's usually stewards by the bikes so you don't have to worry about leaving your bag there too?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

KABLOOEY wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I'm doing my first sprint triathlon in a couple of weeks and was just wondering is there anything required besides the obvious wetsuit, bike & change of clothes? I presume there's usually stewards by the bikes so you don't have to worry about leaving your bag there too?

First things first- these lads here on AR won't help you, unless you're looking for miles per hour conversion tables. Check out the Tri forum, and specifically this newbie gear thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Mod: Moved to Triathlon / Duathlon / Adventure Racing

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Your bike will be safe in transition but usually bags are not allowed so all the bits and pieces you don't use in the race can be left at a designated bag drop area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

bring a plastic box
    you can leave all your stuff in it beside the bike.

my advice is to bring lots of bottles with liquid. trial what you want to use on the day. water? water and ribena? some sort of electrolyte added?
    practice coming out of the water in the wetsuit, getting out of it and getting onto the bike.
    and practice coming off the bike and going to run.

what triathlon are you doing?

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    bring a plastic box
    you can leave all your stuff in it beside the bike.
    None of the races I did this year allowed bags or boxes in transition. Its something organisers seem to be getting strict on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Oryx wrote: »
    None of the races I did this year allowed bags or boxes in transition. Its something organisers seem to be getting strict on.

Ditto. In fact, lads who had boxes were told (in no uncertain terms) to move them out of transition area. Same with bags, big and small, move 'em off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,778 ✭✭✭griffin100

About time too. There's nothing worse than trying to manoeuvre your bike off the rack whilst it's caught up in a feckin GAA kit bag and then falling back over a large plastic box :)

In transition you need:
    A bike with drinks bottles already attached
    Bike helmet hanging off bike with your number belt, sunglasses, t shirt etc. in same
    Runners on floor beside bike with socks rolled up inside if you wear socks
    Bike shoes either on bike or beside runners

There's no need for loads of kit in transition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Make that certain guys from TI................

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭KABLOOEY

Thanks guys have a few bits to pick up so. Would ye take those gels ya hear people using in marathons and larger events or are they unnecessary in a sprint tri? I'm doing one in Loughrea in 2 weeks. Actually have one more question. The swim part is in a lake that they advertise as being shallow enough to stand in for the majority of it. Would it be ok to take a break by standing up or is this frowned upon (my swimming is poor)?

Thanks guys have a few bits to pick up so. Would ye take those gels ya hear people using in marathons and larger events or are they unnecessary in a sprint tri? I'm doing one in Loughrea in 2 weeks. Actually have one more question. The swim part is in a lake that they advertise as being shallow enough to stand in for the majority of it. Would it be ok to take a break by standing up or is this frowned upon (my swimming is poor)?

No gels needed !

Just flip on your back and float in your wetsuit, you do whatever you need to get to the end of the swim !

• Advertisement

Cheers will have to start trying that in the pool. What do ya do with your wetsuit actually post-swim considering they don't allow bags in transition anymore?

Cheers will have to start trying that in the pool. What do ya do with your wetsuit actually post-swim considering they don't allow bags in transition anymore?

Hang it over the bar where your bike is or do like most and just leave it on the ground !

Most important thing to do with your 1st tri is to enjoy it !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,778 ✭✭✭griffin100

If you think you need a gel tape one to the crossbar of your bike but for a sprint you should be ok if you have had a decent breakfast. Make sure you test out the gel before race say if you plan to take one, they can have interesting affects on your guts.......

On the swim the wetsuit will make you buoyant so if you need a rest just stop and float :) be careful about turning onto your back, they may mistake you for someone in trouble.

Loughrea is a really nice tri with a great swim in a lovely clear lake. Enjoy

It really is ok to do what you need to get the swim done. Don't eat or drink anything during the race unless you have tried it in training. But for sprint a drop of water on the bike is all you really need. If you tend to cramp up AND ARE USED TO IT electrolyte before the race might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

It really is ok to do what you need to get the swim done.

x2. If it's shallow enough to stand in there's nothing to stop you walking round.

Excellent guys, thanks a lot! I'll report back how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

you can also use breast and back stroke to take a break during the swim.

don't bother getting pricey gels.
    jelly is the best job. buy some packets and eat 30mins before the swim and then have some after hopping on the bike.
    much cheaper and just as full of quick release carbs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

As in the type of jelly that you eat with ice cream?

Sorry if thats a stupid question!

Advertisement