Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dutch bicycle roundabout above road junction

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Please tell me how you can safely achieve 2 way cycling on both sides of the road with the above design - if you want proper cycling infrastructure that serves local as well as long distance cyclists, then there should be 2 way cycling available on both sides of the road - two way paths also allow cyclists to avoid awkward right turns once they can cross over midway between main junctions.

Why would you want to put two-way on both sides of the road along that imaginary road?

A mix of advance stop boxes and box turns (or "staying left to go right") works fine.

What are you on about? Of course I'm referring to the main urban centres - starting with Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway, Waterford and Kilkenny - Kilkenny (due to it's size) could make a good pilot project for new sustainable transport innovations - it has a good substantial ring road (with plans for an almost complete o-ring) which is a start towards the European model.

I rightly or wrongly understood that we were talking about Wicklow, but even in Dublin etc you can't apply your idea to every road and not even every part of every ring road, it'd be pointless overspend.

and are you telling me what's there now is working??? :rolleyes:

Yes, far, far more so than what was there before.

SeanW wrote: »
    There is a certain view among some cyclists, and you would seem to be among them, that being pro-cycling means you must be anti-motorist.

Many people however, myself included, want solutions that benefit everyone. The Dutch roundabout in the O.P. certainly qualifies, as does to a certain extent even the "old" roundabout design, providing as it does segregated cycle paths around the RAB.

I drive a lot these days and don't even own a bike, but I have campaigned in the past for public transport, when such things were better organised (including the DART Underground, which I still believe in).

So if you want to build a cycle track, go for it! Same with commuter railway lines, and yes, things for motorists like motorways and whatnot (it's not as if we don't pay enough!).

Meanwhile you and your ilk believe in things like the redesign of the Killiney Towers Roundabout (with its confusing and dangerous array of online cycle lanes and 90 degree turns) that seem to have no purpose other the ****ing motorists over.

With the exception of radical feminism and some other extreme movements, I am not aware of other groups whose general policy is "Advance our cause by demonising group X out of all proportion to reality"

You've been around these parts long enough to know the rule is that you play the ball and not the man. But you can't help it? Why not?

I'm anti-silliness. Like the silliness of around 100,000 people in Dublin driving between 0-4km to work or education. Or like the silliness of having a traffic light system so focused on moving traffic that j-walking is something most Dubliners do on mass without thinking. I'm also interested in moving people around in healthy and cost effective ways -- which benefits the individual and the state.

I've already said that the design in the opening post is great for some locations, but the "benefit everyone" idea overall -- where it means no transport mode loses in our current towns and cities -- is for the most part the stuff of dreams. Our current road set up in general is massively focused on motorised transport and redressing / balancing that in our current towns and cities will not be done without affecting anybody.

I'd be an out right liar and/or dreamer if I was to say otherwise.

But increasing the levels of cycling does have a wide range of benefits for people, communities and the state -- in general and overall, more benefits than any other mode of transport.

Meanwhile you and your ilk believe in things like the redesign of the Killiney Towers Roundabout (with its confusing and dangerous array of online cycle lanes and 90 degree turns) that seem to have no purpose other the ****ing motorists over.

With the exception of radical feminism and some other extreme movements, I am not aware of other groups whose general policy is "Advance our cause by demonising group X out of all proportion to reality"

The Killiney Towers Roundabout is far from perfect last time I seen it, but it's not in the least bit dangerous compared to what was there before. But, hey, according to you the council put it there for "no purpose other the ****ing motorists over" EDIT: ...is there any point in arguing with such an extreme view? And you are the one with the extreme view here, as the design at the Killiney Towers Roundabout still seems to be working, even if some small tweeks would help it.

How does the Killiney Towers Roundabout demonise motorists? Or if you're claiming I'm "demonising" motorists, how so? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭SeanW

You've been around these parts long enough to know the rule is that you play the ball and not the man. But you can't help it? Why not?
    I edited my post my post to take it down a notch :o
    I've already said that the design in the opening post is great for some locations, but the "benefit everyone" idea overall -- where it means no transport mode loses in our current towns and cities -- is for the most part the stuff of dreams. Our current road set up in general is massively focused on motorised transport and redressing / balancing that in our current towns and cities will not be done without affecting anybody.

I'd be an out right liar and/or dreamer if I was to say otherwise.
    In some places, for example pre-existing city streets, that may well be true, but not in the wide variety of settings the extremist cycling lobby seems to believe.
    How does the Killiney Towers Roundabout demonise motorists?
    What other possible reason could there be for redesigning a roundabout so that it requires 90 degree turns to enter/exit?
    Or if you're claiming I'm "demonising" motorists, how so?
    Perhaps I'm confusing you with others in your ranks, but every time an environmental leftist/cycling lobbyist shows up on these boards, it's to demand that motorists carry GPS trackers to report to the guards on speeding, or that new housing estates should be built in as motorist-hostile a way as possible, or that a town choked with traffic shouldn't have a bypass built for it because the proposed bypass would come within 10 miles of a 15 mile buffer zone around a national monument. Or something.

In some places, for example pre-existing city streets, that may well be true, but not in the wide variety of settings the extremist cycling lobby seems to believe.

Most of what the cycling lobby tells me is there's no space will be given over to cyclists in cities as there's such a lack of will to do so.

But talking about extremists....
    What other possible reason could there be for redesigning a roundabout so that it requires 90 degree turns to enter/exit.

I don't recall motorists turning at 90 degrees and looking at YouTube:

Not a 90 degree turn:

219868.JPG

No 90 degree turn off:

219866.JPG

The next turn, no 90 degree turn:

219867.JPG

I can't see one 90 degree turn on that roundabout. Are you sure you're not just making stuff up?

Are you sure you're not being an extremist?

Perhaps I'm confusing you with others in your ranks, but every time an environmental leftist/cycling lobbyist shows up on these boards, it's to demand that motorists carry GPS trackers to report to the guards on speeding, or that new housing estates should be built in as motorist-hostile a way as possible, or that a town choked with traffic shouldn't have a bypass built for it because the proposed bypass would come within 15 miles of a 10 mile buffer zone around a national monument. Or something.

Perhaps you're confusing the topic at hand? Perhaps you have to rely on trying to dismiss people with labels (name calling) because you find it hard to put across your views?

But if you're talking about Slane, you seem to think a village is a town. Again, is this another example of you making things up to suit your extremist view?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

monument wrote: »

Most of what the cycling lobby tells me is there's no space will be given over to cyclists in cities as there's such a lack of will to do so.

But talking about extremists....
    What other possible reason could there be for redesigning a roundabout so that it requires 90 degree turns to enter/exit.

I don't recall motorists turning at 90 degrees and looking at YouTube:

Not a 90 degree turn:

219868.JPG

No 90 degree turn off:

219866.JPG

The next turn, no 90 degree turn:

219867.JPG

I can't see one 90 degree turn on that roundabout. Are you sure you're not just making stuff up?

Perhaps I'm confusing you with others in your ranks, but every time an environmental leftist/cycling lobbyist shows up on these boards, it's to demand that motorists carry GPS trackers to report to the guards on speeding, or that new housing estates should be built in as motorist-hostile a way as possible, or that a town choked with traffic shouldn't have a bypass built for it because the proposed bypass would come within 15 miles of a 10 mile buffer zone around a national monument. Or something.

Perhaps you're confusing the topic at hand? Perhaps you have to rely on trying to dismiss people with labels (name calling) because you find it hard to put across your views?

But if you're talking about Slane, you seem to think a village is a town. Again, is this another example of you making things up to suit your extremist view?

I was at the Killiney Towers Roundabout myself and no, they're not as generous as the images suggest - that camera IMO has a long lense. Now, the turns are not 90 deg. either but are rather tight - one or two of them are even tight for cyclists. Solution might be to leave the cycle track as is (except the tight turns) and construct a smaller proper roundabout further in with proper perpendicular yields to cyclists upon exiting - that IMO would be closer to the Dutch model - I would use continental geometry, but not like the NTA specs.

About Slane, I'm a Meathman, so don't even go there - I don't think you know what you're talking about - 22 people have died there. I don't think it's even suitable for cyclists - they probably need the bypass too given the steep ascents/descents.

• Advertisement

I was at the Killiney Towers Roundabout myself and no, they're not as generous as the images suggest - that camera IMO has a long lense. Now, the turns are not 90 deg. either but are rather tight - one or two of them are even tight for cyclists. Solution might be to leave the cycle track as is (except the tight turns) and construct a smaller proper roundabout further in with proper perpendicular yields to cyclists upon exiting - that IMO would be closer to the Dutch model - I would use continental geometry, but not like the NTA specs.

About Slane, I'm a Meathman, so don't even go there - I don't think you know what you're talking about - 22 people have died there. I don't think it's even suitable for cyclists - they probably need the bypass too given the steep ascents/descents.

Basically:

Regardless of how you want to spin it, as I said, no 90 degree turns.

The roundabout works.

However, if you paying attention in previous threads I agree that in this case it should have been designed closer to the Dutch type of roundabout where there's spaces between the crossing the centre of the roundabout.

The roundabout is not done to the NTA guidelines - the design is for a smaller roundabout.

I don't need to ever write a reply to that, somebody else has here: http://www.meathchronicle.ie/opinion/letters/articles/2011/04/13/4004252-no-deaths-in-slane-since-traffic-calming/

I saw some pics on Google maps and they looked very tight - at least to me. I used to live in Dublin, and on a couple of occasions I drove out to Dalkey and that area, before these works were done, and if this is the same RAB I remember, the old version was quite big and worked quite well, from a motorist POV, but could have used better cycling facilities, to be sure.

But since the works were done, while I haven't been back that way, I had read on these boards that the roundabout was a near-constant source of traffic jams, and that heavy vehicles like buses and lorries were having difficulties navigating the tight turns.
    Let's see - I've campaigned for the DART Underground, fully support the construction of cycle lanes and the like, but when it comes to designing things especially from scratch, I want things that benefit everyone.

By your book, that makes me an AA stooge.

I oppose building housing estates like careless children throwing houses onto a monopoly board, that makes life as difficult as possible for motorists. (But the Essex design is the greatest thing since sliced bread.) (Iwannahurl)
    I also oppose stuff like forcing motorists to carry GPS recorders to send every movement to Big Brother (cyclopath2001)
    And various other similar anti-motorist crap like building roundabouts with tight corners that cause traffic jams for no reason, automatic fault laws would see "the bigger vehicle" be held fully responsible in all accidents regardless of cause or actual fault.

Only in the warped mind of a cycling fanatic would this make a person an "extremist."
    So that's all their problems sorted then :rolleyes: I'm sure.

The letter you linked to also makes sure to paint the people of Slane as some kind of vile evil monsters, floating their dead like zombies in some nefarious plot to build a needless road that will demolish Newgrange or something, all for no benefit. All they're missing out there in Slane it seems is someone like this
    DrEvil-gray_288x288.jpg
    and a Sphinx cat.

And you call me an extremist. You've got cojones, I'll give you that!

I really can't let that one go...

...that article is the greatest load of rubbish - OK, there were no deaths, but:

5929_1203235003613_1310739543_58936.jpg

This "minor" :rolleyes: accident happened in 2009 - I remember it well - it caused outrage in Slane and led to the major push for the bypass in recent years. It's a miracle that no one died - people were in those cars you know. The image was posted on http://www.magicmum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=3149496. It's AFAIK what lead to the establishment of http://www.bypassslane.com/!

BTW, the article is an opinion piece by someone living in the inner city! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

I have to agree with SeanW that junction tightening at Killiney Towers Roundabout has made it significantly harder for buses to negotiate their way in and out of junctions. While the junctions may not be 90 degree junctions, they are far from being friendly for vehicles exceeding 11 meters in length. The purpose of the mountable cobble-lock buffer from the roundabout center presents it's own dangers. This is because the hind axle of long vehicles inherently becomes way too close to the traffic island itself which increases the likelihood of jack-knifing.

Irish and Proud took the words right out of my mouth by describing such "solutions:rolleyes:" as turn the clock back. Don't get me wrong monument, I do think that it is great that the government are actively encouraging cycling as a mode of transport. However, mechanically driven modes of transport (such as trains, trams, buses, trucks and cars) are capable of reaching their destination in a much smaller amount of time than a bicycle. For this very reason, I think accommodating mechanically driven and self propelled transport in the same corridor is a recipe for disaster. As such, I would be inclined to better integrate or join up parallel side-roads such as cul de sacs and other neighborhood centers (where possible) for use by cyclists. In the case of Killiney Towers Roundabout, there is an extensive network of side-roads situated within a kilometer radius of it which could easily be used for cycling with a few minor tweaks.

While I am somewhat impressed with the OP's picture, the one criticism I might make towards the layout of it is that the lower deck has been turned into a crossroads. This is because the free-flow element has been removed. As per SeanW's assertion of "benefit everyone", a double-decker roundabout is the ultimate solution given that they enable a free-flow mechanism for all modes of transport. In this case, pedestrians don't have to look left or right at all when traversing the roundabout as they would be passing over/under(depending on which level is allocated to cyclists and pedestrians and the level allocated to motorised traffic) the flow of motorised traffic. For the same reason, cyclists wouldn't have to worry about being cut off by motorised traffic. Ergo, no tightening of junctions is necessary for motorised traffic. YAY!:D

Ya better be careful there Patrick, or you might be called an extremist too :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Ya better be careful there Patrick, or you might be called an extremist too :rolleyes:

My questioning if you were an extremist came from you first calling people extremists and then you making up stuff to support your position. :)

...that article is the greatest load of rubbish...
    This "minor" :rolleyes: accident happened in 2009 - I remember it well - it caused outrage in Slane and led to the major push for the bypass in recent years. It's a miracle that no one died - people were in those cars you know. The image was posted on http://www.magicmum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=3149496. It's AFAIK what lead to the establishment of http://www.bypassslane.com/!

Question:

Is it one notable accident and no deaths in over 10 years? And that's compared to 22 deaths in the previous 20 years?

If so, it seems like the traffic calming has worked to a large extent in saving life. Regardless of what anybody thinks of a bypass, would beefing up the traffic calming not be a good idea while everybody is waiting?

BTW, the article is an opinion piece by someone living in the inner city! :rolleyes:

Great, so are we only allowed to comment on things that happen in our own areas? It would mean a lot of people here can't talk about a lot of things that happen inside the M50... and should the local newspaper not have known better to publish a factually incorrect letter on such an emotive issue?

I have to agree with SeanW that junction tightening at Killiney Towers Roundabout has made it significantly harder for buses to negotiate their way in and out of junctions. While the junctions may not be 90 degree junctions, they are far from being friendly for vehicles exceeding 11 meters in length.

In other threads you were unable to answer how Dublin Bus's low level of buses using the roundabout were unable to manage on a daily bases. Do you have an answer yet?

The purpose of the mountable cobble-lock buffer from the roundabout center presents it's own dangers. This is because the hind axle of long vehicles inherently becomes way too close to the traffic island itself which increases the likelihood of jack-knifing.

Err... now you're claiming the centre island which is designed to take large trucks etc, will cause a jack-knifing? :confused:

Irish and Proud took the words right out of my mouth by describing such "solutions:rolleyes:" as turn the clock back. Don't get me wrong monument, I do think that it is great that the government are actively encouraging cycling as a mode of transport. However,

However the next think you say is a nonsense reason why you would not promote cycling...

mechanically driven modes of transport (such as trains, trams, buses, trucks and cars) are capable of reaching their destination in a much smaller amount of time than a bicycle.

Not true. From the Department of Transport:
    • Data from the 2006 Census reveals that, for journeys within the Dublin Canal Ring, cyclists reached an average speed of 12 kph compared to just 15kph for cars.
    • For trips within the M50, the 2006 Census reveals average speed for cyclists of 14kph compared to 18 kph for cars.

As for buses, trams, and trains: Add in the time to:
    • to get to the station/stop
    • from the station/stop
    • waiting time for buses/trams/trains

...and cycling is a bit faster or a bit slower depending on trip - it compares very well for trips around and under 9km (ie the bulk of trips). The difference for the state is that investment in cycling costs a lot less than public transport and on going costs are tiny for cycling compared for rail or buses.

In the meanwhile, nothing compares to the health benefits of cycling and the return that can have for the state in health care savings.

While I am somewhat impressed with the OP's picture, the one criticism I might make towards the layout of it is that the lower deck has been turned into a crossroads. This is because the free-flow element has been removed. As per SeanW's assertion of "benefit everyone", a double-decker roundabout is the ultimate solution given that they enable a free-flow mechanism for all modes of transport. In this case, pedestrians don't have to look left or right at all when traversing the roundabout as they would be passing over/under(depending on which level is allocated to cyclists and pedestrians and the level allocated to motorised traffic) the flow of motorised traffic. For the same reason, cyclists wouldn't have to worry about being cut off by motorised traffic. Ergo, no tightening of junctions is necessary for motorised traffic. YAY!:D

The 'bottom deck' is an increase in capacity.
    I saw some pics on Google maps and they looked very tight - at least to me.

The new design isn't on Google, at least it was not last night.

But since the works were done, while I haven't been back that way, I had read on these boards that the roundabout was a near-constant source of traffic jams, and that heavy vehicles like buses and lorries were having difficulties navigating the tight turns.

Patrick is quite fond of exaggeration.

Let's see - I've campaigned for the DART Underground, fully support the construction of cycle lanes and the like, but when it comes to designing things especially from scratch, I want things that benefit everyone.

By your book, that makes me an AA stooge.

What has Dart Underground got to do with what happens to roads?

Conor Faughnan cycles, he also seems supportive of Dart etc, and I would not call him an "AA stooge".

I oppose building housing estates like careless children throwing houses onto a monopoly board, that makes life as difficult as possible for motorists. (But the Essex design is the greatest thing since sliced bread.) (Iwannahurl)
    I also oppose stuff like forcing motorists to carry GPS recorders to send every movement to Big Brother (cyclopath2001)
    And various other similar anti-motorist crap like building roundabouts with tight corners that cause traffic jams for no reason, automatic fault laws would see "the bigger vehicle" be held fully responsible in all accidents regardless of cause or actual fault.

Only in the warped mind of a cycling fanatic would this make a person an "extremist."

I guess you're an extremist on one small level because you see anything from tight corners (standard practice of making urban roads safer) and you can't even see the benefit in restricting the dominance of cars in areas which should be free for children to play in!

Just because somebody is a "cycling fanatic" or an extremist in their own ways, does not exclude you too from being an extremist. Extremists tent to not think they are extremists. :)

And you call me an extremist. You've got cojones, I'll give you that!

In a question, I think I implied you were may be an extremist around about the time you were making up stuff to support your apparent extremist views.

If so, it seems like the traffic calming has worked to a large extent in saving life. Regardless of what anybody thinks of a bypass, would beefing up the traffic calming not be a good idea while everybody is waiting?
    Problem is, if the F*ck Slane brigade has their way, there will NEVER be a bypass.
    Great, so are we only allowed to comment on things that happen in our own areas? It would mean a lot of people here can't talk about a lot of things that happen inside the M50...
    No, but it helps if you're an actual stakeholder, like the people who live in Slane are. But even if one is not a stakeholder, it would add some credibility to admit that maybe, just possibly those who actually are stakeholders, are not evil cheap imitations of demonic masterminds from a horror movie or a James Bond film. Something our letter writer and those in his camp might consider.
    and should the local newspaper not have known better to publish a factually incorrect letter on such an emotive issue?
    It's the beauty of free speech - when someone is as transparently full of shoite as "Save Newgrange" is, the paper giving them a platform is as good as giving them rope to hang themselves.
    The new design isn't on Google, at least it was not last night.
    My bad, I meant Google Images.

I saw some images of the new RAB in blogs and the like and it looked like all the approach roads end in T-junctions at the roundabout. Suggested that the turns were ridiculously sharp.
    What has Dart Underground got to do with what happens to roads?
    I used this to underscore my claim to be interested in things that benefit everyone and D.U. definitely qualifies. Hence, my support for it.
    Just because somebody is a "cycling fanatic" or an extremist in their own ways, does not exclude you too from being an extremist.
    Quite true, and I suspect you should know all too well.
    Extremists tent to not think they are extremists. :)
    *Holds up a mirror to monument*
    In a question, I think I implied you were may be an extremist around about the time you were making up stuff to support your apparent extremist views.
    And I am implying that you are an extremist because ... well, Quod Erat Demonstradum.

Problem is, if the F*ck Slane brigade has their way, there will NEVER be a bypass.

That's not what I asked. I asked: Regardless of what anybody thinks of a bypass, would beefing up the traffic calming not be a good idea while everybody is waiting?

...are not evil cheap imitations of demonic masterminds from a horror movie or a James Bond film. Something our letter writer and those in his camp might consider.

Or if people did not use a past high level of death and then trivialise the issue by bring up films.

I used this to underscore my claim to be interested in things that benefit everyone and D.U. definitely qualifies. Hence, my support for it.

Things that "benefit everyone" a lot easier on rail, than on road where a balance needs to be struck. As I've said before, when rebalancing our roads every mode cannot win, more so in towns and cities, and trying to claim otherwise is silly.

Quite true, and I suspect you should know all too well.

*Holds up a mirror to monument*

And I am implying that you are an extremist because ... well, Quod Erat Demonstradum.

Well, just as long as we can agree that you are an extremist. :)

IF saying following the Dutch and Danes is no bad thing, then sure, I'm also an extremist.

In other threads you were unable to answer how Dublin Bus's low level of buses using the roundabout were unable to manage on a daily bases. Do you have an answer yet?

On the months following the completion of the roundabout, I frequently heard bus drivers complaining about the tight corners and how much harder it is to negotiate them. Currently, buses and other large vehicles are tightly hemmed in by the (previously non-existent) boundaries. Additionally, I wouldn't refer to the frequency of buses as low level given that 66 buses pass through it per day (Monday-Friday).
    Err... now you're claiming the centre island which is designed to take large trucks etc, will cause a jack-knifing?

I was merely saying that the purpose of the cobble-lock center (allowing 'wide:rolleyes:' angles for long vehicles) causes the hind axle of such vehicles to come dangerously close to the raised traffic island. If the hind axle of buses or trucks does hit the raised traffic island, they could topple over.
    However the next think you say is a nonsense reason why you would not promote cycling...

Not true. From the Department of Transport:
    • Data from the 2006 Census reveals that, for journeys within the Dublin Canal Ring, cyclists reached an average speed of 12 kph compared to just 15kph for cars.
    • For trips within the M50, the 2006 Census reveals average speed for cyclists of 14kph compared to 18 kph for cars.

As for buses, trams, and trains: Add in the time to:
    • to get to the station/stop
    • from the station/stop
    • waiting time for buses/trams/trains

...and cycling is a bit faster or a bit slower depending on trip - it compares very well for trips around and under 9km (ie the bulk of trips). The difference for the state is that investment in cycling costs a lot less than public transport and on going costs are tiny for cycling compared for rail or buses.

I wasn't saying that we shouldn't promoting cycling as I would be contradicting my previous statement in doing so. I was merely saying that trams, trains, trucks, buses and cars are capable of traveling much faster in urban, suburban and rural environments than bicycles. The introduction of traffic calming undermines this. For mechanically driven vehicles, it boils down to a case of "all of that horse power and no room to gallop".

One of the only roads in the borough of Dun Laoghaire Rathdown which always springs to mind as a perfect example is the N11. Unfortunately bad planning in most other parts of the borough have left very little room for other such roads (bar the M50). The N11 enables motorized traffic to make very good progress into town from a speed perspective. It also has a cycle lane on both sides stretching from Loughlinstown to the city center. Nevertheless, a lot of stretches of cycle lane do need to be resurfaced and redefined.
    In the meanwhile, nothing compares to the health benefits of cycling and the return that can have for the state in health care savings.

I completely agree with this logic as I too, appreciate the health factor of cycling.
    I guess you're an extremist on one small level because you see anything from tight corners (standard practice of making urban roads safer) and you can't even see the benefit in restricting the dominance of cars in areas which should be free for children to play in!

I don't agree with this statement as the main road network is not a playground. This is why public parks such as Blackrock, Kilbogget, Killiney Hill and The Peoples Park have playgrounds. In other words, there are designated spots for leisurely use by children. Turning the clock back on transportation infrastructure for additional leisure or other type of amenity space is overkill.
    The 'bottom deck' is an increase in capacity.

The catch here is that an increase in capacity was made while the free flow element was removed. Essentially one cancels out the other to a certain extent.

That's not what I asked. I asked: Regardless of what anybody thinks of a bypass, would beefing up the traffic calming not be a good idea while everybody is waiting?

You're talking about very steep gradients - what traffic calming do you propose - ramps, road narrowing and chicanes would be seriously asking for trouble - the speed limit there is already 30kph - the only extra thing that could be done IMO are average speed cameras measuring vehicles going through the village.
    Or if people did not use a past high level of death and then trivialise the issue by bring up films.

I've driven through there recently and it's dangerous - simple as. The traffic in Slane can be extremely heavy at times - people living there have to contend with not one, but two main roads through their village (N2 and N51) and both with steep gradients (N51 from Drogheda has a very steep section) - that's no way for the people of Slane to live as far as I'm concerned!
    Things that "benefit everyone" a lot easier on rail, than on road where a balance needs to be struck. As I've said before, when rebalancing our roads every mode cannot win, more so in towns and cities, and trying to claim otherwise is silly.

Re-balancing on our roads also means that the improved roads must work for everyone - there's this >>new scheme<< near Sandyford for example - bigger roads with pedestrian/cycle facilities they boast - but certainly not better IMO.

Take this >>proposed junction<< (PDF File - 1.9MB) for example. This is what's proposed for the current Leopardstown Roundabout. To me, their main priorities in the overall scheme are (not in any particular order):

1) M50 entry/egress traffic;
    2) Cycling Facilities;
    3) New Road Linkages from Sandyford to Leopardstown and Leopardstown to Murphystown (including cycle tracks).

The said junction won't work well IMO - most left turning traffic and pedestrians seem to be an afterthought and will this will ultimately impact on the effectiveness of 1 & 2 above:

1) Complete omission of 3 left lanes and slips (I've already stated my problem with left slip omission) - in fact, at least one of these turns (bottom left) could be removed completely as there's a proposed link road (Burton Hall Road Extension - commencement due next month) that will do more or less exactly the same job. The left turn on the opposite corner (top right) could probably bite the dust too as it would link 2 relatively parallel roads heading for the N11 Stillorgan Road - the funny thing is that neither of these turns have corresponding right filters, so is there really a need for these left turns at all. That's 2 down (literally), 1 to go (top left). This remaining left turn is probably required - now the focus of need shifts to cycle tracks - the ones on Burton Hall Road (I've already compromised the motorist). There is already one new cycle track along part of the old Harcourt line linking Sandyford to Leopardstown Road - there will be another in connection with the Burton Hall Road Extension (not Burton Hall Road, but perpendicular to it) - another thing is that the cycle tracks on the Burton Hall Road itself (left arm) lead to an at grade crossing with the Luas and on one of it's sharper curves - hardly a safe thing for cyclists. The cycle tracks on that stretch should IMO be omitted and the left lane from Burton Hall Road to Brewery Road can go ahead without any problem (subject to signals to allow cyclists to travel along the Brewery Road safely. So as a cyclist, you win some and lose some - cyclists would now have less left turning traffic to contend with on some of the other cycle tracks - one of my main reasons for the compete omission of 2 left turns (other reason is for re-alignment of pedestrian crossings - see #3 below).

2) Excessive crossing distance for pedestrians - especially those with mobility issues - on a tangential note, having visited Killiney Towers Roundabout, a very worrying thing was the vulnerability of old people, people with mobility issues (MS etc) etc on that Roundabout. Is there a right wing element creeping into urban road design - survival of the fittest? Buses forced to negotiate tight corners can't be good for old people either. I am devising road designs myself where pedestrians have no more than 2 lanes of traffic to cross at a time, but yet with signal phases long enough to allow 85% of pedestrians to comfortably clear a main road completely. Back to this junction - just look at the approach from Leopardstown Road West - how the hell are a reasonable percentage of people with mobility issues supposed to clear those 4 lanes in one go (that's 4 x 3.25m = 13m) - there should be an island in the middle - with the left slip (bottom left) gone, there's ample room under the Luas flyover to broaden out the road to accommodate the extra island - the main median AFAIK is occupied by a bridge pier. A little strip of land along Leopardstown Road West might be required. My real preference would be for grade separation of one of these busy traffic movements under the junction (completely) and out of the way - for pedestrians and cyclists, business as usual but with less traffic to contend with.

3) Staggered Pedestrian Crossings causes too much deflection and would probably force pedestrians to wait a second time (for traffic) in the refuge island (centre each arm) thereby wasting time. This IMO will encourage more jaywalking. These crossings should be aligned straight across the road to allow at least 85% of pedestrians to cross the entire road in one phase comfortably - the refuge island would be primarily for people with mobility issues. The propose layout, as it stands, is IMO designed to put people firmly in their place - the lack of left slips would exacerbate this situation - left slips with pedestrian priority (zebra crossing) would be preferable where ever significant left turning traffic is accommodated.

IF saying following the Dutch and Danes is no bad thing, then sure, I'm also an extremist.

Look, we had auto-totalitarianism in the 1980's - it didn't work, then we had a spell of auto-bashing in the 1990's - it too didn't work - traffic is still as mad as hell in the city despite the cutbacks in road building there and the upgrading of the bus service. There are two things that actually worked well: (1) Luas Green Line (no need for government subsidy) and (2) Dublin Port Tunnel - with the pricing policy, it seems that Dublin has managed to build an inner urban motorway that actually works! :eek: The point I'm making is that we have got to see what works, where it works, when it works etc. In general, I think Luas is the way to go inside the M50 - I've even been drawing plans for a third Luas line - they're in my drawer actually. If there was a Luas Line from the Northside with a good Park 'n' Ride near the M50, I'd visit the city centre more often.

In short however, Cars are good for certain things, Cycling is good for certain things, Trains ", Buses ", Walking " - even Boats - look at New York etc. I also think it's time to scrap this stupid "Car Free Day" and replace it with something much more positive - "Sustainable Transport Day". Instead of banning cars (or trying! :rolleyes:) - promote public transport by allowing free rides that day and if the crowds come, put on more buses/trains where possible - promote walking and cycling - maybe free bikes with a deposit and let people try it out etc. Cycling is taking off and will replace many car journeys, but the car will remain an important mode along with the renaissance of cycling.

Regards!

You're talking about very steep gradients - what traffic calming do you propose - ramps, road narrowing and chicanes would be seriously asking for trouble - the speed limit is already 30kph - the only extra thing that could be done are average speed cameras through the village.

Any pile-ups since the 30k/h limit was set? Is the limit enforced?

Average speed cameras, there's part of your answer. Also going by Irish standards, I'd be surprised if all engineering steps have been taken around the village and traffic calming can stretch to pushing traffic away from the village, or just a HGV, but that'd do untold damage to the case for a bypass so we could never discuses that.

Just a reminder:
    I'm on record as not being against a bypass but would have a lot of the concerns of the ABP inspector.

We're not going to agree and this is so far off topic it's crazy we're still going on about it. Now, back to thing more on-topic....
    1) M50 entry/egress traffic;
    2) Cycling Facilities;
    3) New Road Linkages from Sandyford to Leopardstown and Leopardstown to Murphystown (including cycle tracks).

Cycling and walking facilities are secondary to an increase in motor traffic capacity in all directions. Min standards of cycle lane widths are not even meet. I'm afraid that DLR Co Co are not as cycling mad as you like to think.
    1) Complete omission of 3 left lanes and slips ....

According to the NTA there should be zero, and if needed traffic light controlled turning pockets rather than merged-based slip lanes.

then we had a spell of auto-bashing in the 1990's - it too didn't work

Errr... we had what???????

Why do we need to reinvent the wheel so much?

traffic is still as mad as hell in the city despite the cutbacks in road building there and the upgrading of the bus service.

I think you'll find that public transport now has a larger modal share in the city centre.
    In short however, Cars are good for certain things, Cycling is good for certain things, Trains ", Buses ", Walking " - even Boats - look at New York etc. I also think it's time to scrap this stupid "Car Free Day" and replace it with something much more positive - "Sustainable Transport Day". Instead of banning cars (or trying! :rolleyes:) - promote public transport by allowing free rides that day and if the crowds come, put on more buses/trains where possible - promote walking and cycling - maybe free bikes with a deposit and let people try it out etc. Cycling is taking off and will replace many car journeys, but the car will remain an important mode alongside the renaissance of cycling.

Banning cars on car free day? Where did that happen, besides the smallest of streets?

As for its name and branding: What car free day? -- http://www.mobilityweek.eu/
    On the months following the completion of the roundabout, I frequently heard bus drivers complaining about the tight corners and how much harder it is to negotiate them. Currently, buses and other large vehicles are tightly hemmed in by the (previously non-existent) boundaries. Additionally, I wouldn't refer to the frequency of buses as low level given that 66 buses pass through it per day (Monday-Friday).

1.5 buses per hour on the 59 is very low, and about eight departures a day each way on the 8 isn't worth walking about... but still, that's 1.5 buses per hour in the operational hours for months now.

And in fairness, bus drivers are famous for complaining and drivers complain does not make it a major issue.

I was merely saying that the purpose of the cobble-lock center (allowing 'wide:rolleyes:' angles for long vehicles) causes the hind axle of such vehicles to come dangerously close to the raised traffic island. If the hind axle of buses or trucks does hit the raised traffic island, they could topple over.

This further shows you know little or nothing about the engineering of the roundabout or the physics of a truck jackknifing.

I wasn't saying that we shouldn't promoting cycling as I would be contradicting my previous statement in doing so. I was merely saying that trams, trains, trucks, buses and cars are capable of traveling much faster in urban, suburban and rural environments than bicycles.

That's clearly not true!
    One of the only roads in the borough of Dun Laoghaire Rathdown which always springs to mind as a perfect example is the N11. Unfortunately bad planning in most other parts of the borough have left very little room for other such roads (bar the M50). The N11 enables motorized traffic to make very good progress into town from a speed perspective.

The N11 isn't such a perfect example, it's a sometime exception.

Often much of the advantage for cars travelling between the city centre and say Cherrywood is destroyed by traffic congestion on the approach to the city centre or at different points.

I don't agree with this statement as the main road network is not a playground. This is why public parks such as Blackrock, Kilbogget, Killiney Hill and The Peoples Park have playgrounds. In other words, there are designated spots for leisurely use by children. Turning the clock back on transportation infrastructure for additional leisure or other type of amenity space is overkill.

The way you are talking you'd think I was suggesting that children should play on the N11 or M50!

The catch here is that an increase in capacity was made while the free flow element was removed. Essentially one cancels out the other to a certain extent.

The problem is that a roundabout at or over capacity does not have free-flow to start with.

Any pile-ups since the 30k/h limit was set? <snip>We're not going to agree and this is so far off topic it's crazy we're still going on about it. Now, back to thing more on-topic....

Yes, there's already a thread for the Slane Bypass...

Cycling and walking facilities are secondary to an increase in motor traffic capacity in all directions. Min standards of cycle lane widths are not even meet. I'm afraid that DLR Co Co are not as cycling mad as you like to think.

Motor traffic capacity increase in some directions you mean - and I would not place 'walking' on the same line as 'cycling' for that proposed junction - walking and most left turning traffic are last on the list of priorities IMO.

According to the NTA there should be zero, and if needed traffic light controlled turning pockets rather than merged-based slip lanes.

Well you know my views on the NTA - did that artist's impression of a Dutch Roundabout (which I posted very recently on this thread) show no slips? In fact, there was one right (would be left in Ireland) and one left incorporated into the semi-turbo design. Also, traffic light controlled pockets without slips may rule out many people with mobility issues from crossing - either put in a slip with pedestrian priority (for relatively low levels of pedestrian traffic) or use a refuge island in the middle of the approach lanes (for higher levels of pedestrian traffic) - in this case, cyclists and pedestrians are phased in properly so that when one road gets the green light, all road users on that road get the green light except motorists turning left or right - they get a separate phase so that they're out of the way of pedestrians/cyclists crossing.

In some of my designs for urban dual carriageways, I'm looking at spliting up the 2 mainline lanes on approach to junctions so that there are 3 carriageways (2 lanes) at the pedestrian crossing point - 1) Left Filter (no slip required) and Straight Ahead, 2) Staight Ahead and Right Filter & 3) 2 Egress Lanes (for the other direction of traffic) - that's 6 lanes compacted so that at least 85% of pedestrians can comfortably cross that entire road in one phase. OK, I know I'm a pedestrian who likes to walk fast and hate having to wait, but...

Errr... we had what???????

Why do we need to reinvent the wheel so much?

Yes monument, in the 1990's, cars were more or less blamed for everything transport related in Dublin - especially when the rainbow coalition came to power in the then Dublin Corporation in 1991 - why didn't they focus on the lack of good public transport then. Many bus lanes were introduced without any real pressure on Dublin Bus to improve its service as they had the monopoly (and still have to a large degree) - this is the 1990's we're talking about here when the bus service was bloody awful - you might thinks it's bad today, but... Also, what about the bright sparks that shut down railways like the Harcourt Street Line without any foresight - could they not have even converted it to either a greenway or busway. The list goes on...

I think you'll find that public transport now has a larger modal share in the city centre.

Yes, but a number a factors must be considered first - as I said before, the Luas has generally been a great success in terms of passenger usage - it hadn't required a government subsidy for years now AFAIK. The Luas is costly to build, but as I said before, if you want to improve transport, then you have to spend the dosh. That said, there's only 2 Luas lines going into Dublin - there's no Luas on the Northside except on the North Bank of the Liffey. You also have to take into account that more people are living in the city centre - when my sister worked in Cork, she stayed near the city centre there - she very rarely used the car except for long distance journeys back towards Dublin. When I came down on visits (mostly by train), I loved the fact that practically anything you needed was within walking distance - mind you, junctions with no left slips annoyed me as I was forced to wait longer by left turning traffic - I do quite a lot of walking.

Thanks for the link!

That's all I've time for now...

1.5 buses per hour on the 59 is very low, and about eight departures a day each way on the 8 isn't worth walking about... but still, that's 1.5 buses per hour in the operational hours for months now.

Regardless of what you may think, it is unacceptable to implement traffic calming along any road which sees medium to regular use by public transportation.
    And in fairness, bus drivers are famous for complaining and drivers complain does not make it a major issue.

It kind of does given that I am getting first hand (drivers) perspective of how the recent works to the Killiney Towers Roundabout (KTR) has needlessly complicated their job.
    This further shows you know little or nothing about the engineering of the roundabout or the physics of a truck jackknifing.

What ever twist you may want to put on it, the engineering of the KTR was a turn the clock back "solution:rolleyes:" which has resulted in frequent tailbacks. As such, it was a regressive move. It is also frustrating that €250K was on a move which is regressive.
    That's clearly not true!

You are obviously in serious denial if you think mechanically driven transport isn't capable of reaching higher speeds than a bicycle. It is a well known fact. To put it another way, who would win in a race? Motorist or cyclist?
    The N11 isn't such a perfect example, it's a sometime exception.

Often much of the advantage for cars travelling between the city centre and say Cherrywood is destroyed by traffic congestion on the approach to the city centre or at different points.

Not excessively though. Most of the time when I have driven into town using the N11, it has taken half an hour.
    The way you are talking you'd think I was suggesting that children should play on the N11 or M50!

Quite an exaggeration there. I was just disagreeing with the notion of reducing the dominance of cars to facilitate free play for children.
    The problem is that a roundabout at or over capacity does not have free-flow to start with.

The KTR did until the council f^&*ed it up!:mad:

Motor traffic capacity increase in some directions you mean - and I would not place 'walking' on the same line as 'cycling' for that proposed junction - walking and most left turning traffic are last on the list of priorities IMO.

Along with the Burton Hall Road works, there's a large capacity increase. After that they seem to have prioritised the higher capacity routes (ie Leopardstown Road over Brewery Road, and in general access to the industrial estate and M50), but because it gets rid of the heavy congestion - every route "wins" to some extent.

Again: The cycle lanes do not meet min standards for widths. And cyclists using the two-way off-road track are affected as much as people walking, if not more.

Well you know my views on the NTA - did that artist's impression of a Dutch Roundabout (which I posted very recently on this thread) show no slips? In fact, there was one right (would be left in Ireland) and one left incorporated into the semi-turbo design.

That drawing shows a comparably low volume roundabout with a high level of segregation for cyclists (so they are not affected by the slip) and full pedestrian and cyclist priority.

Do you really think a roundabout with full pedestrian and cyclist priority should be tried at Leopardstown? Patrick would crack up just thinking about the cost.

Also, traffic light controlled pockets without slips may rule out many people with mobility issues from crossing....

Try that one again: A traffic light controlled junction, with a crossing would "rule out many people with mobility issues from crossing"? How exactly do you explain that?

Yes monument, in the 1990's, cars were more or less blamed for everything transport related in Dublin - especially when the rainbow coalition came to power in the then Dublin Corporation in 1991 - why didn't they focus on the lack of good public transport then. Many bus lanes were introduced without any real pressure on Dublin Bus to improve its service as they had the monopoly (and still have to a large degree) - this is the 1990's we're talking about here when the bus service was bloody awful - you might thinks it's bad today, but... Also, what about the bright sparks that shut down railways like the Harcourt Street Line without any foresight - could they not have even converted it to either a greenway or busway. The list goes on...

"why didn't they focus on the lack of good public transport"

Because regardless of what some people were saying the prevailing view in the 90s was pushing the car -- that was the policy, and that was the prevailing local and national government action.

Yes, but a number a factors must be considered first - as I said before..............

Your point was that "traffic is still as mad as hell in the city despite the cutbacks in road building there and the upgrading of the bus service" and I counted that by saying public transport have a larger modal share now. To be clearer: Buses have that larger modal share.

The vast bulk of city centre residents walk.

Regardless of what you may think, it is unacceptable to implement traffic calming along any road which sees medium to regular use by public transportation.

Well, you have a very long list of cities and towns across the world against you on that one!

It kind of does given that I am getting first hand (drivers) perspective of how the recent works to the Killiney Towers Roundabout (KTR) has needlessly complicated their job.

What ever twist you may want to put on it, the engineering of the KTR was a turn the clock back "solution:rolleyes:" which has resulted in frequent tailbacks. As such, it was a regressive move. It is also frustrating that €250K was on a move which is regressive.

Yet, regardless of how you dress it up, somehow Dublin Bus drivers are more than able to handle the roundabout on daily bases for months!

You are obviously in serious denial if you think mechanically driven transport isn't capable of reaching higher speeds than a bicycle. It is a well known fact. To put it another way, who would win in a race? Motorist or cyclist?

Already been tested:
    • RTE's Capital D did a test with bicycle, car, train and bus from Blanch to Dame Street - the bicycle won.
    • RTE's Capital D did a test with bicycle, car, Luas and bus from Tallaght to O'Connell Street - the bicycle won.
    • BBC's Top Gear did a test between a bicycle, bus, can and I think boat across London - the bicycle won.

And you're clearly in serious denial if you can't accept the average speeds already posted, no major difference:
    • Inside the canals: 12 km/h for bicycles compared to just 15kph for cars.
    • Within the M50 (but outside the canal), 14km/h for bicycles compared to 18 km/h for cars.

Quite an exaggeration there. I was just disagreeing with the notion of reducing the dominance of cars to facilitate free play for children.

Sicking. You want cars to be dominant in and around green areas -- areas which are supposed to be play areas -- in housing estates.

The KTR did until the council f^&*ed it up!:mad:

We were talking about the Dutch design and a completely different type of area.

Given this thread is about what the Dutch do, if you want I can point out what the Dutch more than often do around historic cores like Dalkey and around the residential areas around the roundabout.

Well, you have a very long list of cities and towns across the world against you on that one!

Give a few examples of such towns and cities. These cities and towns must be very backward if they think reducing public transport speed makes sense.
    Yet, regardless of how you dress it up, somehow Dublin Bus drivers are more than able to handle the roundabout on daily bases for months!

"More than able:rolleyes:"....struggling is the word I would use!
    Already been tested:
    • RTE's Capital D did a test with bicycle, car, train and bus from Blanch to Dame Street - the bicycle won.
    • RTE's Capital D did a test with bicycle, car, Luas and bus from Tallaght to O'Connell Street - the bicycle won.
    • BBC's Top Gear did a test between a bicycle, bus, can and I think boat across London - the bicycle won.

And you're clearly in serious denial if you can't accept the average speeds already posted, no major difference:
    • Inside the canals: 12 km/h for bicycles compared to just 15kph for cars.
    • Within the M50 (but outside the canal), 14km/h for bicycles compared to 18 km/h for cars.

Cars are far more capable of 15kph as the maximum engine speed of most cars and other mechanically driven transport is well above 90kph. You are probably referring to factors such as traffic lights and traffic calming which cripple the performance of mechanically driven transport making them go a small fraction of their maximum speed. In such case, a bicycle would win. As such, rounding down the speeds to cyclist level is regressive. With these speed reductions comes a much longer (time wise) journey from A to B.
    Sicking. You want cars to be dominant in and around green areas -- areas which are supposed to be play areas -- in housing estates.

No. I'm saying that existing roads shouldn't be made tighter or less negotiable to become playground extensions which you seem to want. Many towns get business from motorised traffic and moves like tighter roundabouts and corners will strangle arteries leading to towns. Traffic calming should only be kept to cul de sacs and side roads which aren't used by public transport.
    We were talking about the Dutch design and a completely different type of area.

Given this thread is about what the Dutch do, if you want I can point out what the Dutch more than often do around historic cores like Dalkey and around the residential areas around the roundabout.

What do the Dutch do around historic cores like Dalkey?

• Advertisement

Give a few examples of such towns and cities. These cities and towns must be very backward if they think reducing public transport speed makes sense.

Councils across Dublin, London, Paris etc think it's acceptable to implement traffic calming along roads which sees medium to regular use by public transportation.

"More than able:rolleyes:"....struggling is the word I would use!

They seem to be able to keep up their struggle! :)

Cars are far more capable of 15kph as the maximum engine speed of most cars and other mechanically driven transport is well above 90kph.

For what we're talking about, it does not matter what cars are capable of doing in theory on open roads -- what matters is the actual average speeds cars travel at. Is there any chance of you dealing with reality as shown in the census figures?

You are probably referring to factors such as traffic lights and traffic calming which cripple the performance of mechanically driven transport making them go a small fraction of their maximum speed. In such case, a bicycle would win.

You'll find that main thing "which cripples the performance of mechanically driven transport" is too much mechanically drive traffic. You'll also find that traffic lights were a by-product of mechanically drive traffic.

As such, rounding down the speeds to cyclist level is regressive. With these speed reductions comes a much longer (time wise) journey from A to B.

Where have you seen me "rounding down the speeds"?

What speed reductions are you talking about?

No. I'm saying that existing roads shouldn't be made tighter or less negotiable to become playground extensions which you seem to want. Many towns get business from motorised traffic and moves like tighter roundabouts and corners will strangle arteries leading to towns. Traffic calming should only be kept to cul de sacs and side roads which aren't used by public transport.

In the bit where you quoted me, I was talking about housing estates and you said you wanted to keep cars dominant over children. Are you changing that positing now?

What public transport has to do with your average housing estate is anybody guess.

What do the Dutch do around historic cores like Dalkey?

A mix of the following:
    • Add a mix of cyclist access-only streets, full pedestrian-only streets, or very limited access street for cars, or shared use which has about the same effect or more of an effect as limited access
    • Add traffic calming
    • Make previous through routes cul de sacs for cars but allow bicycles to use them as through routes
    • Make two-way streets one-way for cars and two-way for bicycles
    • Make streets 30km/h or lower by design and by speed limit

More traffic calming won't fix Slane's problem, that of a national road going down steep hills, around severe corners and across a 400 year old, 1 lane bridge. More traffic calming would likely just make Slane an even bigger bottleneck, keep the place even more choc-o-block with traffic that has zero reason to be there.

Nothing but a bypass will fix this and only an extremist could claim otherwise.
    I'm not a Slane resident, and the "cheap movie villian" aspect was what came to my mind when I read your friends letter. I speak as I find, and your friend while not explicitly comparing the people of Slane to cheap horror movie villians reanimating their dead like zombies, it seemed to me the impression he wanted to leave.
    Things that "benefit everyone" a lot easier on rail,
    Which is why, surely, it makes sense to focus on this.
    than on road where a balance needs to be struck. As I've said before, when rebalancing our roads every mode cannot win, more so in towns and cities, and trying to claim otherwise is silly.
    That is true, but far less often than cycling extremists would have us believe.
    No, I was making a thinly veiled hint that you are in NO position to be calling anyone else an extremist ... effectively, that you are doing this:
    monument wrote:
    090826huggett.jpg

Nothing but a bypass will fix this and only an extremist could claim otherwise.

If you say so, it must be true.... Wait! A few posts ago were you not telling us there were 90 degree turns on a roundabout where there are no 90 degree turns?

I'm not a Slane resident, and the "cheap movie villian" aspect was what came to my mind when I read your friends letter. I speak as I find, and your friend while not explicitly comparing the people of Slane to cheap horror movie villians reanimating their dead like zombies, it seemed to me the impression he wanted to leave.

Which is why, surely, it makes sense to focus on this.

Just because changing roads might put out or annoy a few people?

Forget we're talking about cycling and roads for a second:

[1] Take nuclear power as an example, should we forget about nuclear power because it'll put out or upset a few people?

[2] Is all progress dependent on that actions needed being easy and not affecting anybody?

That is true, but far less often than cycling extremists would have us believe.

According to a self proclaimed extremist... this is the problem when you add in emotive words where they have no place.

No, I was making a thinly veiled hint that you are in NO position to be calling anyone else an extremist ... effectively, that you are doing this:

Who started to use the term extremist first in this thread?

Councils across Dublin, London, Paris etc think it's acceptable to implement traffic calming along roads which sees medium to regular use by public transportation.

In those particular examples, London and Paris have a far superior public transportation system to Dublin that are extremely well coordinated. This is down to an extensive network of underground rail networks which allow people to move from A to B faster than a car and much faster than a bicycle. As such, cities like London and Paris can afford to impose congestion charges and other disincentives for car use. However, the key here is speed.
    For what we're talking about, it does not matter what cars are capable of doing in theory on open roads -- what matters is the actual average speeds cars travel at. Is there any chance of you dealing with reality as shown in the census figures?

That's OK monument. I am well in touch with reality. The reality is that most of the moves by councils in this country to encourage transport modal switches are half assed. If buses, cars, trams and trains are capable of doing faster speeds "in theory", they should be encouraged to do so where possible.
    You'll find that main thing "which cripples the performance of mechanically driven transport" is too much mechanically drive traffic. You'll also find that traffic lights were a by-product of mechanically drive traffic.

The M50 has thousands of cars on it on an hourly basis which doesn't cripple performance. That puts the argument in purple to bed. The poor synchronization of traffic lights is the problem in this country which is what I have a problem with as per your assertion in blue.
    Where have you seen me "rounding down the speeds"?

What speed reductions are you talking about?

I was merely making a metaphor when I said "rounding down". Needless speed reduction is a by-product of traffic calming which is what I was talking about and something you condone.
    In the bit where you quoted me, I was talking about housing estates and you said you wanted to keep cars dominant over children. Are you changing that positing now?

I'm not changing my "positing (I think you mean position)".
    What public transport has to do with your average housing estate is anybody guess.

If you read my post correctly, you'll find that I didn't make a correlation between the two. Perhaps, I wasn't clear enough. Maybe, the attached map will better demonstrate what I am talking about. I haven't highlighted every stretch of road. However, I have highlighted some obvious examples of different class of road each with a different colour and set of recommendations as follows:

• Blue: Main roads where traffic calming should be heavily discouraged, limited or non existent. Reason: Used by public transport, heavy goods vehicles and connects business centers of various size.
    • Cyan: Connector or distributor roads with mild traffic calming such as speed ramps. However, tight junctions and curb build-outs would be omited. Reason: Used by public transport, heavy goods vehicles and connects main roads.
    • Purple: Side roads with medium to heavy traffic calming (including speed ramps, curb build-outs junction tightening and bollards). Reason: Not used by public transport, enclosed residential areas and children playing. Prevents rat runs and improves exclusivity. However, use by cyclists would be highly encouraged.
    • Yellow: Cul de sacs with medium to heavy traffic calming (including speed ramps, curb build-outs junction tightening and bollards). Reason: Residents only access. Where possible, lane ways for pedestrians and cyclists would also be built.
    A mix of the following:
    Add a mix of cyclist access-only streets, full pedestrian-only streets, or very limited access street for cars, or shared use which has about the same effect or more of an effect as limited access
    • Add traffic calming

Make previous through routes cul de sacs for cars but allow bicycles to use them as through routes
    • Make two-way streets one-way for cars and two-way for bicycles
    • Make streets 30km/h or lower by design and by speed limit

I am certainly in favour of one-way systems where the character of the road is delicate. A non destructive (to village character) alternative to road widening. However, I find contra flow cycle lanes as per the assertion in orange potentially dangerous for cyclists if clearance is scarce. Where road width is exceptionally tight even in one-way form, I would welcome 30km/h speed limits. Convent Road and Leslie Avenue come to mind. I would consider the content in red where roads were already underused to begin with. Traffic calming such as speed ramps would be encouraged along new one-way systems to prevent induced increases in speed. Depending on the width of the road, shared use could be encouraged.

In those particular examples, London and Paris have a far superior public transportation system to Dublin that are extremely well coordinated. This is down to an extensive network of underground rail networks which allow people to move from A to B faster than a car and much faster than a bicycle. As such, cities like London and Paris can afford to impose congestion charges and other disincentives for car use. However, the key here is speed.

The bus system in London carriers more people than the Tube does.

To name a few more: Just about every city in the Netherlands.

That's OK monument. I am well in touch with reality. The reality is that most of the moves by councils in this country to encourage transport modal switches are half assed. If buses, cars, trams and trains are capable of doing faster speeds "in theory", they should be encouraged to do so where possible.

Brilliant, but theory and what should be encouraged is not what we were talking about. We talking about speed where it matter to actual travel times, ie average speed.

You don't seem to be able to accept that car and bicycle travel times hardly differ in the areas we we're talking about.

The M50 has thousands of cars on it on an hourly basis which doesn't cripple performance. That puts the argument in purple to bed.

The M50 has high capacity because it's a motorway which is wide, and has grade separated junctions. You're out of luck if you think anybody is building a motorway in or around Daley and the city centre.

Massive road building around the city centre was already rejected and I think it's safe to say that Daley won't be jumping at the idea any time soon.

The poor synchronization of traffic lights is the problem in this country which is what I have a problem with as per your assertion in blue.

All the synchronization in the world can't help when roads are over the capacity which allows for free flow.

I was merely making a metaphor when I said "rounding down". Needless speed reduction is a by-product of traffic calming which is what I was talking about and something you condone.

Sure you were.

I'm not changing my position

Great, that's your choice.

But the fact that you want cars to be dominant over children in housing estates puts the rest of your points in context.

If you read my post correctly, you'll find that I didn't make a correlation between the two. Perhaps, I wasn't clear enough. Maybe, the attached map will better demonstrate what I am talking about. I haven't highlighted every stretch of road. However, I have highlighted some obvious examples of different class of road each with a different colour and set of recommendations as follows

If you were not trying to "make a correlation between the two" then you have a funny way of going about it.

When directly replying to something, try not to insert a random and unconnected statements at the end -- otherwise people will think you were trying to make a relevant point. But anyway...

However, I find contra flow cycle lanes as per the assertion in orange potentially dangerous for cyclists if clearance is scarce.

Another one of your views which is not back by fact and against the experiences of Paris, Copenhagen, Belgium, the Netherlands, and, to a limited extent, even Dublin.

Cyan: Connector or distributor roads with mild traffic calming such as speed ramps. However, tight junctions and curb build-outs would be omited. Reason: Used by public transport, heavy goods vehicles and connects main roads.

For at least half of the roads marked in cyan:

HGVs and buses generally have no place in housing estates or down roads where two cars can hardly pass by each other.

I would consider the content in red where roads were already underused to begin with.

Just to be clear: What was listed is the approach that the Dutch would take with most of Dalkey, especially the town centre area. Including the main shopping streets - not backstreets alone.

The M50 has high capacity because it's a motorway which is wide, and has grade separated junctions. You're out of luck if you think anybody is building a motorway in or around Daley and the city centre.

Massive road building around the city centre was already rejected and I think it's safe to say that Daley won't be jumping at the idea any time soon.

Firstly, I amn't suggesting a motorway in Dalkey (Daley as you put it) or the city center. You're twisting and over exaggerating my points.
    All the synchronization in the world can't help when roads are over the capacity which allows for free flow.

Many of the roads in France have synchronized traffic lights which brings progress on such roads surprisingly close to the behavior of free flow.
    But the fact that you want cars to be dominant over children in housing estates puts the rest of your points in context.

Again, if you looked at the attached map, you'll see that side roads and cul de sacs (the housing estates your talking about) are where I would encourage traffic calming. However, the roads marked in cyan and blue are connector roads and main roads (not housing estates) because they connect areas of business. Stop twisting my statements by playing stupid.
    If you were not trying to "make a correlation between the two" then you have a funny way of going about it.

When directly replying to something, try not to insert a random and unconnected statements at the end -- otherwise people will think you were trying to make a relevant point. But anyway...

Again, twisting my statements.
    Another one of your views which is not back by fact and against the experiences of Paris, Copenhagen, Belgium, the Netherlands, and, to a limited extent, even Dublin.

It's the laws of physics which is why I keep bringing up the word clearance. It's quite simple really. If you bring the paths of traffic in opposite directions closer together, there is a higher chance of a head on collision.
    For at least half of the roads marked in cyan:

HGVs and buses generally have no place in housing estates or down roads where two cars can hardly pass by each other.

I would consider cul de sacs housing estates. However most (if not all) of the roads marked in cyan (although residential) are through roads which are surrounded by medium to large business centers and warehouses. So, access for HGVs and buses is a must. Besides, the majority of roads marked in cyan are indeed wide enough to have cars pass each other out.
    Just to be clear: What was listed is the approach that the Dutch would take with most of Dalkey, especially the town centre area. Including the main shopping streets - not backstreets alone.

I'm sure the businesses would love that!:rolleyes:

Backstreets are where traffic calming belongs. NOT main streets.

It's becoming clearer to me by the day that you are against any mode of mechanically driven transport.

You're twisting and over exaggerating my points.

No, I'm not twisting anything.

You're making a very invalid comparisons to
    Many of the roads in France have synchronized traffic lights which brings progress on such roads surprisingly close to the behavior of free flow.

As already stated about Dublin: All the synchronization in the world can't help when roads are over the capacity which allows for free flow.
    Again, if you looked at the attached map, you'll see that side roads and cul de sacs (the housing estates your talking about) are where I would encourage traffic calming. However, the roads marked in cyan and blue are connector roads and main roads (not housing estates) because they connect areas of business. Stop twisting my statements by playing stupid.

We'll just make it very clear for anybody else reading:

I said:
    I was talking about housing estates and you said you wanted to keep cars dominant over children. Are you changing that positing now?

You replied:
    I'm not changing my "positing (I think you mean position)".

Your map also shows "Cyan: Connector or distributor roads" in the Pearse Estate and on fairly narrow residential roads.

Again, twisting my statements.

If you don't want people to think you're making a correlation between two things, it'd be advisable that you avoid random and unconnected statements at the end of a direct reply.

It's the laws of physics which is why I keep bringing up the word clearance. It's quite simple really. If you bring the paths of traffic in opposite directions closer together, there is a higher chance of a head on collision.

So, forget the experience of Paris, Copenhagen, Belgium, the Netherlands, and, to a limited extent, even Dublin, which shows contra-flow is safe!

You know better! Is that it? :)

I would consider cul de sacs housing estates. However most (if not all) of the roads marked in cyan (although residential) are through roads which are surrounded by medium to large business centers and warehouses. So, access for HGVs and buses is a must. Besides, the majority of roads marked in cyan are indeed wide enough to have cars pass each other out.

Just because near by areas need HGV access does not mean all of the streets you have marked need HGV access. On the majority of the roads in cyan, there is no need to plan for everyday HGV access and with most of them HGVs should go around them.

Dublin Bus would be a far better and effective service it tomorrow it removed it self from serving housing estates and other narrow residential road -- and before anybody says it, there's far more effective ways of providing local transport for old people. But the Irish political world won't allow that.

I'm sure the businesses would love that!:rolleyes:

Backstreets are where traffic calming belongs. NOT main streets.

You asked what the Dutch would do and I was making it clear what they would do. No need for the rolling eyes! :)

Businesses originally objected to the pedestrian areas around O'Connell Street in Dublin -- and the same thing happens internationally again and again, for example:

In Copenhagen:
    Forty years ago {it's fifty years ago this year}, when the pedestrianisation process began, the shopkeepers in central Copenhagen were unconvinced and apprehensive. ‘We are not Italians, we are Danes. It will never work here.’ ‘Shops will die off if there are no more cars.’ ‘The climate over here is not suitable for mingling in the streets.’

These were just some of the objections they raised. ‘There was literally no culture of public space and public life; we used to sit at home and have a black coffee at the dinner table,’ recalls Lars Gemzøe. ‘However, since then,
    things have changed a lot in this city. When the first street was closed to traffic as an experiment, people found it interesting, and then came the next car-free street.

The critical shopkeepers soon realised that it was working to their advantage, and people discovered that they liked to explore their city on foot. Because the city council made it gradually more difficult to drive and park,
    visitors had time to get used to the idea that it was too complicated to take the car, and took the bus or bicycle instead. And so the centre of Copenhagen underwent a dramatic change from a car-orientated to a people orientated place.’

And in Utrecht:
    The Utrecht pedestrian zone is a large area of car free streets in the historic city center. First in 1965 and from November 1968 on a larger scale, the narrow streets were closed to car traffic on the busiest shopping days. This experiment made the streets car free on Wednesdays and Saturdays which were -and still are- important market days. There was a lot of opposition from shop owners but the city went through with the plans for a permanent car ban. From 1971 the streets were permanently car free and they were redesigned. Side walks were removed and the streets were transformed to streets for pedestrians only. All opposition has since vanished. The area has been car free for 40 years now. The area is livable and a commercial success. It is one of the most attractive inner city shopping areas of the country.

etc
    Backstreets are where traffic calming belongs. NOT main streets

As above, Grafton Street was once viewed as a "main street" for cars.

It's becoming clearer to me by the day that you are against any mode of mechanically driven transport.

You asked what the Dutch do, I made it clear what they do and when you don't like the answer you attack me rather than the Dutch!?

You asked what the Dutch do, I made it clear what they do and when you don't like the answer you attack me rather than the Dutch!?

I'm sorry monument! I've thought about some of the material of your post just there and the pedestrianization of streets such as Grafton Street has become a success as it provides freedom of movement for pedestrians between shops. Essentially, Grafton Street behaves a lot like the concourse of a shopping center which are devoid of any mechanical transport. The only thing missing is the roof. However, this could be tastefully rectified by a series of large awnings. As long as there are parallel streets like Dawson Street and Kildare Street which provide accessibility for public transport. It all boils down to how pedestrianization of streets is carried out.:)

Anyway, moving back to the topic at hand. The Dutch have done a good job at creating a two level roundabout.:D

If you say so, it must be true.... Wait! A few posts ago were you not telling us there were 90 degree turns on a roundabout where there are no 90 degree turns?
    I explained that. I saw blog pictures that showed roads ending at the roundabout at T-Junctions. It may not be 90 degress but I stand over my view that they are sharp turns.
    Just because changing roads might put out or annoy a few people?
    Again, I'm not saying we should NEVER take road space from motorists. I never said that. I just think that a solution that benefits everyone is possible as often as not. The KTR is one example, an actual Dutch style layout, not even the OPs one but just their bog standard layout like you see in that area, would have been better for all concerned.

But yes, there could have been other things done as well, like in Cork before they started the South Ring grade separation works, there was a "Rainbow Bridge" that carried pedestrians and cyclists over the Sarsfield Road Roundabout. You can still see it here. Something like that, e.g. an intersecting pair of such bridges, allowing cyclists and pedestrians grade separated access from any connecting road, could have been done at the KTR site and probably for the same money as they spent on that shambles.

That said, of course, there are times when "screw motorists" is a sensible proposition, like the pedestrianisation of Grafton Street in Dublin. I just happen to think it's not as common as is belived in some quarters.
    Forget we're talking about cycling and roads for a second:

[1] Take nuclear power as an example, should we forget about nuclear power because it'll put out or upset a few people?

[2] Is all progress dependent on that actions needed being easy and not affecting anybody?
    This is depressing and may go off topic ... but here goes. Long story short, nuclear power is a clean, reliable, usually safe and cost effective way (depending on how it's done, obviously not like the Soviet Union) of generating electricity.

But we have this utterly bizarre scenario where the people (usually the environmental-left) yelling loudest about the armageddeon of fire that will consume the world in chaos if we don't stop global warming by CO2 pollution but those same people are also making up lies and scaring people senseless about one of the few tools that could actually do something meaningful about CO2 emissions. I really do not understand it, but C'est la vie.

So yes, like the people who once treated Grafton Street as a main driving thoroughfare, the people I've just described and their contradictory position should be ignored. Unfortunately that particular policy improvement is not likely to happen and I don't think the results are going to be positive, for anyone. Except the windmill industry and the elites who own the carbon trading exchanges. As well Gazprom and the coal mining industry.
    According to a self proclaimed extremist... this is the problem when you add in emotive words where they have no place.

Who started to use the term extremist first in this thread?
    I never admitted to being an extremist. And yes, I called you one first because I believe it's an accurate description of your position.

• Advertisement

I explained that. I saw blog pictures that showed roads ending at the roundabout at T-Junctions. It may not be 90 degress but I stand over my view that they are sharp turns.

Again, I'm not saying we should NEVER take road space from motorists. I never said that. I just think that a solution that benefits everyone is possible as often as not. The KTR is one example, an actual Dutch style layout, not even the OPs one but just their bog standard layout like you see in that area, would have been better for all concerned.

But yes, there could have been other things done as well, like in Cork before they started the South Ring grade separation works, there was a "Rainbow Bridge" that carried pedestrians and cyclists over the Sarsfield Road Roundabout. You can still see it here. Something like that, e.g. an intersecting pair of such bridges, allowing cyclists and pedestrians grade separated access from any connecting road, could have been done at the KTR site and probably for the same money as they spent on that shambles.

That said, of course, there are times when "screw motorists" is a sensible proposition, like the pedestrianisation of Grafton Street in Dublin. I just happen to think it's not as common as is belived in some quarters.

The point about the 90 degree turns is that you're prone to exaggeration without knowing it so howm do you not know more can't be done at Slane.

Agreed on the more generally used Dutch design but suggesting a substandard ring road crossing solution at the KTR is daftness.

This is depressing and may go off topic ... but here goes. Long story short, nuclear power is a clean, reliable, usually safe and cost effective way (depending on how it's done, obviously not like the Soviet Union) of generating electricity.

But we have this utterly bizarre scenario where the people (usually the environmental-left) yelling loudest about the armageddeon of fire that will consume the world in chaos if we don't stop global warming by CO2 pollution but those same people are also making up lies and scaring people senseless about one of the few tools that could actually do something meaningful about CO2 emissions. I really do not understand it, but C'est la vie.

So yes, like the people who once treated Grafton Street as a main driving thoroughfare, the people I've just described and their contradictory position should be ignored. Unfortunately that particular policy improvement is not likely to happen and I don't think the results are going to be positive, for anyone. Except the windmill industry and the elites who own the carbon trading exchanges. As well Gazprom and the coal mining industry.

Long story short, cycling is a clean, reliable, usually safe, healthy, space effective, cost effective, and fairly quite way of moving people around for the vast majority of trips taken daily.

All it needs to thrive is space and priority to be taken away from transport which has mostly the opposite effects.

I never admitted to being an extremist. And yes, I called you one first because I believe it's an accurate description of your position.

You points about a pot and kettle and looking at a mirror come to mind.

Advertisement