Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gym triathlon

Options
  • 23-08-2012 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

I want to do a triathlon next summer . My gym membership is up next week and looking for advice on whether to rejoin or put the money towards a good bike and do all my training outdoors. I still have access to a pool for swim training

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

I dont know why you'd want to cycle or run in a gym, best bet is to drop the membership, buy a bike and enjoy the outdoors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

d4r3n wrote: »
    I dont know why you'd want to cycle or run in a gym, best bet is to drop the membership, buy a bike and enjoy the outdoors
    do you end up cycling in the dark a lot. I know this sounds like a stupid question but I live in a very badly lit area. Thanks for prompt reply by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 4,778 ✭✭✭griffin100

You can buy a turbo trainer for small money and train on your bike at home in front on the tv.

It's never too dark to run once you have lights, again not too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

if its money that is either for a good bike or gym, then i'd choose bike. As is mentioned, training on a threadmill and gym bike just wont cut it, its so different to getting out on the road. I decided to renew my gym membership, but i'm happy enough with the bike i have. The work you do in the gym in terms of weights and classes (yoga and pilates) would surely help IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

do you end up cycling in the dark a lot. I know this sounds like a stupid question but I live in a very badly lit area. Thanks for prompt reply by the way

Once you've lights you'll be OK. If you can avail of the cycle to work scheme so can use that for bike, helmet, lights etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭DriverMad

griffin100 wrote: »
    You can buy a turbo trainer for small money and train on your bike at home in front on the tv.

Does a turbo trainer wear down the rubber on your tyres?

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

DriverMad wrote: »
    Does a turbo trainer wear down the rubber on your tyres?

Thanks,

Yes, but from my experience not much more than riding on the road does.

Advertisement