Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any requests?

Options
  • 22-08-2012 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

Going back playing the pubs soon and only going to be playing all the old folk songs, Dylan,Young,donovan ...... Would love to hear any ideas of other great folk songs to build up a setlist

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Just a few off the top of my head that go down well:

Where do you go to my lovely - Peter Sarstedt
    Hide your love away - Beatles (not exactly folk, but has that folkie feel to it)
    Annie's Song - John Denver (not exactly folk either, but sounds like it)

Actually, if it's just you and a guitar, then lots of songs will have that folk feel.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

ride on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 toninoroseno

Sully34 wrote: »
    Going back playing the pubs soon and only going to be playing all the old folk songs, Dylan,Young,donovan ...... Would love to hear any ideas of other great folk songs to build up a setlist

Maybe some early stuff from Joannie Mitchell, e.g. Yellow Cab?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Sully34

Just a few off the top of my head that go down well:

Where do you go to my lovely - Peter Sarstedt
    Hide your love away - Beatles (not exactly folk, but has that folkie feel to it)
    Annie's Song - John Denver (not exactly folk either, but sounds like it)

Actually, if it's just you and a guitar, then lots of songs will have that folk feel.
    Peter Sarstedt is a new one on me so thanks alot for that bud

ride on :)
    Yeah I think that horse has been done to deathicon7.gif Maybe City of Chicago though

• Advertisement

Was thinking so far 'Its alrite Ma'- Bob Dylan, 'Fire and Rain'- James Taylor 'Harvest'-Neil young. You can kind of see where Im going with this. Just dont want to be asked for 'Wonderwall' and 'Drugs dont work' anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Was thinking so far 'Its alrite Ma'- Bob Dylan, 'Fire and Rain'- James Taylor 'Harvest'-Neil young. You can kind of see where Im going with this. Just dont want to be asked for 'Wonderwall' and 'Drugs dont work' anymore

Fair play OP.

I play a similar sort of set.. folky with a touch of country. Goes down well with a certain crowd, but I still get asked to play some of the 'hits' (barf)..

Fair play OP.

I play a similar sort of set.. folky with a touch of country. Goes down well with a certain crowd, but I still get asked to play some of the 'hits' (barf)..
    Yeah I know what you mean so this time Im going to target the certain pubs that this set would go down well. Its really just Thurs,Fri and Sun type music. Do you play much these days??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Fair play OP.

Keep the customers happy dude . Your not their to educate your there to entertain . If playing wonderwall 6 times in a row gets you another nights work **** it . I can think of more degrading things you could be doin for a wage .
    The song off the harvest album . Are you ready for the country because its time to go . Not sure of the title is a great one.

Yeah I know what you mean so this time Im going to target the certain pubs that this set would go down well. Its really just Thurs,Fri and Sun type music. Do you play much these days??

I have a couple of band commitments so the solo gigs, only 2 or 3 times a month right now. But with the bands, usually about 6 or 7 a (good) month altogether.
    cloptrop wrote: »
    Keep the customers happy dude . Your not their to educate your there to entertain . If playing wonderwall 6 times in a row gets you another nights work **** it . I can think of more degrading things you could be doin for a wage .
    The song off the harvest album . Are you ready for the country because its time to go . Not sure of the title is a great one.

Absolutely. My set was originally mostly my own preference, but these days I incorporate more songs that I know people want to hear - and if I know a requested song, you can be damn sure I'll play it.
    As you say, keep the customers happy, keep the manager happy :)

• Advertisement

cloptrop wrote: »
    I know what your saying but i gigged with a band for ten years only playing the songs we wanted to play and always drew a crowd because they were sick of bands playing the same thing week in week out

I have a couple of band commitments so the solo gigs, only 2 or 3 times a month right now. But with the bands, usually about 6 or 7 a (good) month altogether. What kind of stuff are you playing with the band?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

- and if I know a requested song, you can be damn sure I'll play it.
    As you say, keep the customers happy, keep the manager happy :)
    There are these handy books you can get that have about 1000 songs in them for whatever genre , its peeing me off I cant remember the name of them . But they will pretty much tell you how to bluff all the Folk/rock/ country /whatever favourites.
    They are perfect for wedding band players and stuff.
    Id say youd get cheap ones on amazon or something .

I have a couple of band commitments so the solo gigs, only 2 or 3 times a month right now. But with the bands, usually about 6 or 7 a (good) month altogether. What kind of stuff are you playing with the band?

Mostly Americana type stuff, rocked up folk/country with a touch of hillbilly thrown in. Usually gets a good reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

Try one or two of these:

Tom Paxton - The last thing on my mind
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08lVuhv_Va8

Gordon Lightfoot - The Early Morning Rain
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naNs3xqUv7s

Tim Buckely - Happy Time
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uE1xJ0ZPP4

Simon and Garfunkel - Mrs. Robinson
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_jmDscGi7E

Best of luck with the search and I hope the gigs go well! :D

Try one or two of these:

Tom Paxton - The last thing on my mind
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08lVuhv_Va8

Gordon Lightfoot - The Early Morning Rain
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naNs3xqUv7s

Tim Buckely - Happy Time
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uE1xJ0ZPP4

Simon and Garfunkel - Mrs. Robinson
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_jmDscGi7E

Best of luck with the search and I hope the gigs go well! :D
    Cheers bud,love that Gordon Lightfoot

Cheers bud,love that Gordon Lightfoot

I play that sometimes, although my version is closer to Elvis' version than Lightfoot's.

I was playing in a bar in town one evening, and a woman who must have been in her 60s brought me up a pint and said 'that's for playing Gordon Lightfoot'. Made my evening :)

I play that sometimes, although my version is closer to Elvis' version than Lightfoot's.

I was playing in a bar in town one evening, and a woman who must have been in her 60s brought me up a pint and said 'that's for playing Gordon Lightfoot'. Made my evening :)
    Yeah I love that mate,if you only get to one person a night it goes a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

Lightfoot is the type of artist that no-one has heard of, until you start playing his songs, and then everyone realises that they know them!

Lightfoot is the type of artist that no-one has heard of, until you start playing his songs, and then everyone realises that they know them!
    Thats exactly the kind of set I am looking for. Nothing too obvious

• Advertisement
Advertisement