Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway 70.3

Options
  • 20-08-2012 5:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭

Well folks,

Less than 2 weeks left to Galway. I was just wondering what drinks and nutrition are given out? Praying for good weather so it's not a €250 duathlon, would it be fair to say that if the swim is cancelled/shortened this year then the races future would seriously have to questioned.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

Just to add a second question to this thread, not to hijack it, but got the confirmation email today and it asks us to confirm if we will attend the pasta party, the afters party, and whether we want our finishers photograph. When the link on the email brings me through to the on line form page to be submitted, it does not give me the option not to pay for the photograph, I for one don't want to pay 40 euro for a photograph when I will have people there on the day to take one for me.Is there any other way to confirm your selection for the two above mentioned parties, without agreeing to a 40 euro photograph?

Was this the norm last year ? Mandatory photograph?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭acurno

Did it last year and remember there being a powerade stand outside oughterard for the biking, and during the run they were giving out fruit, bars and drinks at the claddagh which was well needed. Plenty of locals as well from what I remember dishing out the goods.

I agree, swim shortened or cancelled will throw it completely into disarray next year, and there'll be no appetite from locals to spending that much money for what is really a duathlon. From what I'm hearing and those I'm talking to the numbers are way down from last year, especially with the locals. It's a novelty factor for most amateurs to get an 'Iron Man' branded race done once.
    Can see it being moved to the East coast if that is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭hootini

Start list is here:

Galway 70.3 Start List

Its way down in numbers from last year.....

No surprise considering the amount of money (€215 -€265) people were expected to pay for an event that should be held mid Summer (IMO).

Its the wrong time of year to have it Septembers weather is way too changeable.

(My 2 cents)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

subscriber wrote: »
    Just to add a second question to this thread, not to hijack it, but got the confirmation email today and it asks us to confirm if we will attend the pasta party, the afters party, and whether we want our finishers photograph. When the link on the email brings me through to the on line form page to be submitted, it does not give me the option not to pay for the photograph, I for one don't want to pay 40 euro for a photograph when I will have people there on the day to take one for me.Is there any other way to confirm your selection for the two above mentioned parties, without agreeing to a 40 euro photograph?

Was this the norm last year ? Mandatory photograph?

No. But the uptake was probaby so low that they had no option but to not give you an option! What I saw of 'official' photos was rubbish last year, especially for mid pack athletes.

There'll be plenty of partying in the local emphoriums afterwards too. There usually is a great buzz in post race parties, I heard nothing last year either way about this one.

Re numbers, its way down on expectations / projections and its a pity but their PR team did no favours in post race managements or in the recent voucher offer to encourage late entries.

Having said that I am looking forward to racing again this year. I'll be bitterly disappointed if the swim is shortened for any reason. I'm not a swimmer but do want to be properly tested by the event and finish knowing that I beat the course, properly.

Advertisement