Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triathlons expensive?

Options
  • 17-08-2012 2:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hey,

I'm looking to start doing triathlons. I'm 18 so I don't have a lot of money. First event I checked had a 50 euro entry fee?! Is this normal? I was hoping it'd be like a tenner.

Any replies appreciated.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You won't find many events for a tenner. Even running events cost more than that. The cheapest sprints are about 25 euro this year. Olympic is always going to cost more. You can do tris with a bare minimum of equipment but even so you do need to have that bare minimum - bike, helmet, swim gear, run gear. So not the cheapest sport to take up, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I know what you are saying I wasn't expecting races to be as expensive as they are either but there are a lot of costs that aren't considered. These are just the ones I can think of (I'm sure someone who actually organises a race can think of others):

Venue hire
    Road closure costs
    Volunteers - they might be giving their time for free but will still need feeding/providing with dayglo clothing
    Garda - The garda son't always provide their time for free
    TI Costs/Insurance - To cover insurance of the event
    Porta Loos
    Barrier / Scaffolding Rental
    Prizes / Trophies
    Water Safety Costs - Local canoe club donation
    St Johns/Order of Malta Ambulance
    Race numbers & Safety Pins
    Food and water
    T-Shirts & Goody bag
    Timing - Costs for providing electronic timing which is standard these days
    Drafting Marshall costs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I know what you are saying I wasn't expecting races to be as expensive as they are either but there are a lot of costs that aren't considered. These are just the ones I can think of (I'm sure someone who actually organises a race can think of others):

Venue hire
    Road closure costs
    Volunteers - they might be giving their time for free but will still need feeding/providing with dayglo clothing
    Garda - The garda son't always provide their time for free
    TI Costs/Insurance - To cover insurance of the event
    Porta Loos
    Barrier / Scaffolding Rental
    Prizes / Trophies
    Water Safety Costs - Local canoe club donation
    St Johns/Order of Malta Ambulance
    Race numbers & Safety Pins
    Food and water
    T-Shirts & Goody bag
    Timing - Costs for providing electronic timing which is standard these days
    Drafting Marshall costs

Planning any big events;)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭lorrieq

I see. That's unfortunate. I'm used to running orienteering events for less than a tenner but there is less to organise etc.

I'll try one or two anyway.
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

lorrieq wrote: »
    I see. That's unfortunate. I'm used to running orienteering events for less than a tenner but there is less to organise etc.

I'll try one or two anyway.
    Cheers

If you want to get a bit of experience, maybe try a club-ran aquathlon or duathlon? They're usually cheaper (around 15Euro up), so might be an idea if you don't want to drop a lot of money right off? Then you could target a goal race, might be easier spending 50Euro on something you are training for.

(Wicklow Tri have a great aquathlon for 15E next Wed evening in Bray)

• Advertisement
Advertisement