Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modern Pentathlon

Options
  • 13-08-2012 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭

Anyone else follow it ? I thought it was really interesting. Coyle just 47 secs off gold too. A prospect for Rio perhaps. Mad they didn't look like they were moving that fast in the combined but 3k on soft hilly terrain and shooting 15 targets in 11mins and change was impressive. Not exactly slouches in the water either!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Great result for Natalya Coyle, and I think she's only 21 so hopefully she'll continue to improve. It's a wacky mix of skills required ! Seems odd that the allocation of horses is random though. A little unfair if you're in the lead and Dobbin refuses to jump :p
    Fascinating sport but cost must be a huge barrier to entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Great result for Natalya Coyle, and I think she's only 21 so hopefully she'll continue to improve. It's a wacky mix of skills required ! Seems odd that the allocation of horses is random though. A little unfair if you're in the lead and Dobbin refuses to jump :p
    Fascinating sport but cost must be a huge barrier to entry.

I think that is one of the reasons they have the random Horses as if you have your own horse it simple really this way you really have to prove you horse Riding skills and tbh looking at it some of the riders in the womens event where just terrible nothing to do with the horses as all of them can jump that height.

It is a pretty good competition all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

bizarre event. can't say it grabbed me
    the finish is decent enough

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

The weighting seemed odd to me, okay spend all morning doing these other 3 events and we will translate that into a 5 second delay on the run.

I think providing your are middle of the road with the other three events but could run a few 3.15/km kilometres you could place well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Could be interesting in triathlon if you did not know the bike you will ride before the race.

• Advertisement

peter kern wrote: »
    Could be interesting in triathlon if you did not know the bike you will ride before the race.

I think you have bike envy Peter

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

miller82 wrote: »
    bizarre event. can't say it grabbed me
    the finish is decent enough

Ditto. Didn't enjoy it at all. Watched most of the mens event and found it quite dull.

I was just to offer you 650E for your powertap wheel to lessen my complex a bit.

The hub is yours for 650 ;) I'll throw in the rim and spokes for an extra 150 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

How many fencing bouts did each have to do? Its crazy how "slow" the swimming looked after watching phelps et al. However the men were hitting sub 2 mins for a 200m swim. That's serious going for a multi event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

How many fencing bouts did each have to do? Its crazy how "slow" the swimming looked after watching phelps et al. However the men were hitting sub 2 mins for a 200m swim. That's serious going for a multi event.

You have a bout with every other competitor. 1 minute round. was there 30 in ladies and 35 in mens.

It may seem a bizarre sport but remember its was invented by the Baron himself to test the calvary officer specifically.
    The reason for the random allocation of horses was that an cavalry man needed to be able to ride any available horse if his own was killed in battle.
    The horses went thru a intense testing/screening process before being picked for inclusion. I think they have been in central training for 2 months. Any problems seen on the day could be attributed to bad Horsemanship

Guy doing the expert analysis for RTÉ pointed out that they're working with Triathlon Ireland to identify talent, presumably looking the people who are good at short fast stuff but not good enough to progress as top sprint/olympic distance triathletes. Suppose the other stuff fencing, riding, shooting is thought to be easier to be teach at but fast running and swimming isn't?

there is some ironman winner that have a pentahlon background 15 Im winner bella baysliss is the first that comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Navvyy

The RTE expert might be better off contacting the Irish Pony Club who run the not really known about Tetrathlon. It takes place over 2 days: swim TT and shooting on day 1. Day 2 is cross country over fences - that's the bit on horseback;) - and then cross country running. A lot of the pony club kids can swim and the clubs tend to have connections with the gun clubs. I'm not sure how popular it is nowadays: 25years plus ago it was a big(ish) thing with National Championships.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

peter kern wrote: »
    there is some ironman winner that have a pentahlon background 15 Im winner bella baysliss is the first that comes to mind.

I think his brother was near the front at the end of the final stage.

Didn't catch the name but they mentioned one competitor having an IM pro for a brother.

The sport doesn't appeal to me at all, but then either do any of the horsey sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

Navvyy wrote: »
    The RTE expert might be better off contacting the Irish Pony Club who run the not really known about Tetrathlon. It takes place over 2 days: swim TT and shooting on day 1. Day 2 is cross country over fences - that's the bit on horseback;) - and then cross country running. A lot of the pony club kids can swim and the clubs tend to have connections with the gun clubs. I'm not sure how popular it is nowadays: 25years plus ago it was a big(ish) thing with National Championships.

I did this when i was 12-18 years old pretty good event and very serious competition back then too , the two Irish competitors where taken from this back ground too for the Olympics you can in the pony club compete in it till 21 i think.

it does give you a pretty decent back ground into the Modern Pentathlon bar the fencing .

I suppose with tri they might think they've got a bigger pool or people to work with, presumably they're already working with the Irish Pony Club if thats where Natalya and Arthur(?) were taken from.

They did mention most penthathletes are terrible riders (of horses :pac:) so not having a horsey background probably isn't really an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Looking at the profiles of the Athletes on P ire website it looks like thats where their getting most of their recruits as they list Tetrathlon in their interests.
    Its still a big part of the pony club.

Alot of people who ride ponies to decent level drift away when its time to move up to horses so I would think linking with Tri maybe a great way of refinding those who can ride and who now swim and run .

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭fionn_mac

I thought the RTE expert was saying Tetrathlon Ireland, not Triathlon Ireland? He said it plenty of times and mentioned ponies. Just remember thinking at the time to look up what tetrathlon was. Good result from the Irish lad/lass. Looks a fun if not a bit of an aristocratic pursuit:) are these multisport events doomed to be sniffed at by the purists (e.g. Jerry Kiernan calling decathaletes failed track runners etc) as opposed to the 'greatest athlete' etc tags the originators envisaged?

Nah they were talking about people who were good at sprinting and wouldn't be good over long distance i.e 750m swim -v- 200m swim

• Advertisement
Advertisement