Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Pedals - which system and why?

Options
  • 13-08-2012 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

Changing from my old look pedals, what pedals do people use and what would you use if you were buying now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Changing from my old look pedals, what pedals do people use and what would you use if you were buying now?

I use Shimano pedals. Have the Ultegra model on my race bike. Why, because when I went to buy pedals the first time I was sold shimano ones. I was very green and wanted cheap ones. Why haven't I changed? Because I tried look ones on some elses bike once and I took ages to clip in. Just couldn't get the hang of it (although I only tried that once). Stick with what you know. I'd buy Ultegra again.

Edit: Oh, and nice to meet you on Saturday. Pity you didn't meet Jackyback who was racked nearby. He'd have looked even smaller next to you!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Years ago I used Time pedals and Sidi shoes. Tried look and spd but Time use a floating system that was kinder to my knees :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

females look better (easier to click in and out)
    males shimano better ( you can walk more in shimano shoes with out ruining your pedals and most guys dont have the above mentioned issue with shimano pedals slightly cheaper )
    otherwise I guess it relly depends what floats your boat

you want to be more mid foot with your pedals go speedplay as the have an adapter ( extra to buy) that allows you to do so without drilling your carbon sole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I think I'm a bit wierd in regards pedals. I use the Shimano MTB ones. Always had as I started off in MTB and am well used to them by now. I also like the fact they're double sided so find them easy to clip in to.

Would I better going for a proper road pedal with a bigger platform? Probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Actually a great idea for people new to clipless pedals and still finding their way handling bikes in traffic .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

Edit: Oh, and nice to meet you on Saturday. Pity you didn't meet Jackyback who was racked nearby. He'd have looked even smaller next to you!!

Ha ha, good to put some faces to boards names alright! Great racing! Pity missed JB alright!

Thanks for replies, i've had some people suggest speed play to me so interested in them, the look delta ones i have are way too loose and even after replacing cleats they wriggle around way too much, so shimano sound better than them anyway, the pedals are 6-7 years old so maybe thats the issue too?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

Thanks for replies, i've had some people suggest speed play to me so interested in them, the look delta ones i have are way too loose and even after replacing cleats they wriggle around way too much, so shimano sound better than them anyway, the pedals are 6-7 years old so maybe thats the issue too?

Wiggle room = cleat float no?

0 deg - black
    4.5 deg - grey
    9 deg - red

d4r3n wrote: »
    Wiggle room = cleat float no?

0 deg - black
    4.5 deg - grey
    9 deg - red

I've the red ones, but there is forward and backward movement as well as side to side normal float

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I've the red ones, but there is forward and backward movement as well as side to side normal float

Just check that the spring in the pedal is not broken whihc would allow the kind of movement you're talking about.

Something else that happened to me before, was a rattle and slip in the pedal which was driving me mad I couldnt find it until I discovered the cleat screws had worked loose and the shoe was moving about on the cleat.

To answer the question I like the Look and have used them from the start pretty much.

• Advertisement

Cleats are defo locked in, I've two sets of pedals, one the left shoe is loose and the other the right is really loose, pity they're different colours :(
    Illcheck spring and see, they clip in and out ok and they don't come loose without clipping out, there's just loads of play forward and side in them, my foot makes a noise every revolution when it moves forward and back on my right foot

Advertisement