Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a amateur cyclist tells his doping story,

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

eh, not so fine really.
    Training more - competitive
    Spending more on your bike - competitive
    injecting yourself with EPO - that's not being 'too competitive', it's cheating

(and Cat 4 racing? Isn't Category 4 'has successfully completed 10 mass start races in the last year'? How stupid, how far up your own arse, do you have to be to dope at that level? It's like doping to win a Try a Tri)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

peter kern wrote: »

How long before we see a similar article about a mid-pack triathlete?? I would be surprised if there was any problems here, but undoubtedly there must be somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭griffin100

I wounder how prevalent doping is in AG athletes trying to get to Kona?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

RayCun wrote: »
    eh, not so fine really.
    Training more - competitive
    Spending more on your bike - competitive
    injecting yourself with EPO - that's not being 'too competitive', it's cheating

(and Cat 4 racing? Isn't Category 4 'has successfully completed 10 mass start races in the last year'? How stupid, how far up your own arse, do you have to be to dope at that level? It's like doping to win a Try a Tri)

i think spending on bikes is pretty much the same than buying drugs
    the big difference is one is legal the other isnt.
    but essentially we buy speed without wanting to work for it. and if you dodnt particiapate at the olympics do you really need a 6000 euro bike ?

and with bikes 1 person starts the other have to catch up and one could argue its the same in cycling with drugs its pretty much impossible to win the tour clean.

and to be honest i dodnt reall think the level is that important as we see that most of the slower guys int triathlon have better bikes than eastern european athletes at junior world champs.

My 2 cents.

griffin100 wrote: »
    I wounder how prevalent doping is in AG athletes trying to get to Kona?

In austria if you swim 2 weeks in a pool chances are good somebody will ask you if you need help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

In austria if you swim 2 weeks in a pool chances are good somebody will ask you if you need help.
    I have been offered "gear" here. dont need to go to Austria.

Im not sure doping is the same as buying a 6K bike.
    Ok, the person may not need it or be able to ride it out of theway but if he can justify it then who cares. they are up and active.
    Taking drugs to modify the engine is different.

I liked the article, the person is human and obviously has a very compulsive personality, wanted to keep improving and unfortunately lost sight of reality.
    Reality been if you need to dope to compete in Cat4 then you belong in Cat 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭woody1

i think spending on bikes is pretty much the same than buying drugs

what about the health risks or are they overstated.. epo increases blood thickness ( cant think of better word ) higher risk of strokes heart attacks etc.. risks associated with transfusions ( i know not relevant in this case )

only health risk with new bike is other half going mental at the price of it..

woody1 wrote: »
    what about the health risks or are they overstated.. epo increases blood thickness ( cant think of better word ) higher risk of strokes heart attacks etc.. risks associated with transfusions ( i know not relevant in this case )

only health risk with new bike is other half going mental at the price of it..
    which is pobably a higher health risk ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Advertisement