Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Citizens - Appraise your Gardaí....

• 10-08-2012 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

In the wake of Garda Niall O'Connors frank and open exit interviews it was always obvious that his assessment of the current situation exactly mirrored the widely held perception that Limerick Gardai have their heads well below the parapet without the resources, will, intent, ambition or any future plan or notion of tackling Limericks actual criminal/anti-social heart.

- Before I'm accused of the usual Garda bashing stock response I'd like to state that in all fairness the poor on the beat Gardaí (Mules as we've been told) have not been placed in a position whereby they can win this fight.

But, that said, somebody needs to follow this one up the chain of command as the wages increase from Garda Inspector the whole way up to Alan Shítter as there is a moral problem in lads driving aimlessly in patrol cars in the leafy estates turning a blind eye to the mayhem on the other side of town while at the same time the politicians spin the facts and attend gala dinners - neither pay-cheque is deserved in all fairness and the ordinary Joe is just being left suffer in silence.......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Raiser wrote: »
    In the wake of Garda Niall O'Connors frank and open exit interviews it was always obvious that his assessment of the current situation exactly mirrored the widely held perception that Limerick Gardai have their heads well below the parapet without the resources, will, intent, ambition or any future plan or notion of tackling Limericks actual criminal/anti-social heart.

- Before I'm accused of the usual Garda bashing stock response I'd like to state that in all fairness the poor on the beat Gardaí (Mules as we've been told) have not been placed in a position whereby they can win this fight.

But, that said, somebody needs to follow this one up the chain of command as the wages increase from Garda Inspector the whole way up to Alan Shítter as there is a moral problem in lads driving aimlessly in patrol cars in the leafy estates turning a blind eye to the mayhem on the other side of town while at the same time the politicians spin the facts and attend gala dinners - neither pay-cheque is deserved in all fairness and the ordinary Joe is just being left suffer in silence.......

As controversial as this may seem, but I take that interview with a pinch of salt for a number of reasons

1 He wasn't exactly a veteran of the force, he only spent 3 years as a junior guard
    2 He was a journalist, I assume he wants to be one again
    3 This was carried by the Sunday World
    4 The same guy was claiming our city is a failed society on 95fm, ( a failed society is a very strong expression, we have social issues, it could be argued worse than some other cities in this country but a failed society? I don't see it )

The guards in Limerick have just gotten the better of some serious criminals, they then have then to face the consequences of regeneration, I say give them a break...

This thread should be re named " Citizens - Appraise your Politicians...

Over the last three years the amount of murders and serious assaults and shootings have been dramatically reduced ( 1 murder in 2010, 3 in 2011, 1 in 2012 I make it ) of course this will never be covered in the press, we are constantly in the press despite no real crimes being committed which gives the whole country ( along with many in the city it seems ) the impression we are a basket case city...

I will repeat the most important point...this was The Sunday World...they are to newspapers RTE Prime Time Investigates is to TV...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

I'd actually met Garda Niall O'Connor once or twice, and have always found him to be a great help when i needed him. Even went the wrong way down a one way when he was dropping me home one night :cool::cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

Most of the gardai are great, apart from the idiots in the traffic section. Needless to say they have by far the easier jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

As controversial as this may seem, but I take that interview with a pinch of salt for a number of reasons

1 He wasn't exactly a veteran of the force, he only spent 3 years as a junior guard
    As a working Garda on the streets of Limerick I'd have thought that 3 days would give you a grounding and 3 weeks a fairly solid indication!
    2 He was a journalist, I assume he wants to be one again
    He stated he left because he had an option to - I assume he is paid monthly now, no job security, no generous state pension.
    3 This was carried by the Sunday World
    True - I hate the gutter press, he sounded convincing on Newstalk though, deferential and fair to his former Garda colleagues with a lot of previously unheard truth I thought.
    4 The same guy was claiming our city is a failed society on 95fm, ( a failed society is a very strong expression, we have social issues, it could be argued worse than some other cities in this country but a failed society? I don't see it )
    In fairness Limerick is in substantial parts abysmal and this has effects that radiate far and wide.

The guards in Limerick have just gotten the better of some serious criminals, they then have then to face the consequences of regeneration, I say give them a break... Yes they have and they deserve credit for this. Yes I do believe there should be consequences for everyone involved in the Limerick Regeneration fiasco......

This thread should be re named " Citizens - Appraise your Politicians...
    A good point - Politicians manage policing in line with the publics perception of how safe they feel, whether they think the 5 series will still be on the tarmac in the morning etc. For a long time Limerick folk were happily denying the Cities massive social/criminal problems as the celtic tiger distracted them by offering extensions, long haul holidays and mobile homes in Kilkee, this allowed things to fester for decades.

Over the last three years the amount of murders and serious assaults and shootings have been dramatically reduced ( 1 murder in 2010, 3 in 2011, 1 in 2012 I make it ) of course this will never be covered in the press, we are constantly in the press despite no real crimes being committed which gives the whole country ( along with many in the city it seems ) the impression we are a basket case city...
    Ah ---- No. Persecution complex in fairness.

I will repeat the most important point...this was The Sunday World...they are to newspapers RTE Prime Time Investigates is to TV...
    True the Sunday World has of course got credibility issues - In this case though I believe Garda Niall O'Connors account because it rings true, adds up, reflects reality, stands up to analysis, describes the scenes I'm familiar with and makes plain old sense........

Replies above!

@ Raiser

What I meant by mentioning the time he has spent on the force is that he has very little to compare it with, ie what was policing Limerick like back in 2001 -2009, he can't compare it to policing in say North Inner City Dublin, or parts of Cork, which by the way suffer from major social issues too...

He left because he had an option to, then ends up with a piece in the Sunday World, how could that happen...did they contact him...did he contact them... in this climate he was probably looking for a way out for a considerable time, when that occurs you tend to be negative, and therefore have a negative outlook

A failed society is one where riots and looting would occur, general and widespread lawlessness, major population decreases, amongst others, like I said I just don't see that, yes we have problems, more than we should as a result of regeneration, but nothing that would suggest we are a failed society, in that case large parts of Dublin should be cosidered the same, Mayfield / The Glen etc in Cork the same...and bear in mind we are a low crime country...try barcelona for crime and poverty...London...are they failed societies?

People you mention with BMWs holiday homes etc were not the problem as such, their apathy didn't help, but it was the massive increase in a class A drug usage that really did the damage....of course a lot of them did have BMWs holiday homes etc...I'll give you that...

In fairness we received international press attention when we were declared Europes Murder Capital ( a real con if ever there was one), our murder rate is now much much lower therefore making us one of the safest cities in Europe, did you ever read an article about that...me neither...

The Sunday World is an absolute rag, I have seen first hand what they are capable of, if there is 20% truth in this piece I'd be suprised...

Look, I'm not saying this town has no issues, I truly believe it does, but it is important that we keep them in context...the ski isn't falling in...we have been treated poorly by our politicians and IMO our national press...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭source

Guys, as a former mule, its great to hear this topic being discussed.

However, you're glossing over the real issue here, and concentrating on an issue that Niall didn't want to discuss. He wants to focus on the plight of the Gardai, not put down limerick city. The only reason he spoke so negatively on 95FM is because the presenter pushed him on it, until he got the answer he wanted.

I know for a fact that this is not a limerick bashing exercise, so lets not discuss it as one.

The issue he is trying to highlight is, despite all the promises from politicians that front line services would not take cuts. We see the Gardai being underfunded to the extent that despite the best will in the world, (trust me in this, the regular Garda in the patrol car is only gagging to take on the scrotes) they will never be able to do there job effectively.

Yes it hurts to hear our city's name in the press for negative reasons again. But he is using Limerick as that is where his experience lies, the situation is the same all over the country buy he can't talk about other cities or towns as he wasn't there, and I can tell you everything he has said is true.

source wrote: »

However, you're glossing over the real issue here, and concentrating on an issue that Niall didn't want to discuss. He wants to focus on the plight of the Gardai, not put down limerick city. The only reason he spoke so negatively on 95FM is because the presenter pushed him on it, until he got the answer he wanted.

I know for a fact that this is not a limerick bashing exercise, so lets not discuss it as one.

The issue he is trying to highlight is, despite all the promises from politicians that front line services would not take cuts. We see the Gardai being underfunded to the extent that despite the best will in the world, (trust me in this, the regular Garda in the patrol car is only gagging to take on the scrotes) they will never be able to do there job effectively.

Yes it hurts to hear our city's name in the press for negative reasons again. But he is using Limerick as that is where his experience lies, the situation is the same all over the country buy he can't talk about other cities or towns as he wasn't there, and I can tell you everything he has said is true.

To be honest Limerick needs to be bashed. There is no future for middle class in Limerick, it's all regeneration. It's all moyross.
    We get no investment, no private hospital etc. Would the middle class of Galway/Cork/Dublin put up with what we've endured....absolutely not. I applaud the garda in question.

Fair enough, maybe I am incorrect regarding the truth content of the article, the reason being we have been on the receiving end of some terribly negative press and as my posts will confirm I am more concerned about our citys name being dragged though the mud again, it does stand to reason that cut backs happen ( I won't touch the whole Croke Park Agreement pay levels thing ) it is the same accross the public sector I would imagine

I do have sympathy for our Gardai, cut backs or no cut backs it must be demoralising to see offenders escape justice time and time again...our justice system is at fault here, for a start "Free Legal Aid" should be renamed "Legal Aid Paid for by the Taxpayer", that might get a few people to pay a little more attention as to what is happening in our courtrooms.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think this issue is more widespread that just Limerick, all Emergency Services are experiencing budgetary and recruitment issues, I think this debate is better suited to the Emergency Services forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Former Garda Niall O'Connor even goes so far as calling Limerick a failed society! (live95fm)

Ouch, that's an even worse label than stab city.

A failed working class, a failed middle class, a failed class society?

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    I think this issue is more widespread that just Limerick, all Emergency Services are experiencing budgetary and recruitment issues, I think this debate is better suited to the Emergency Services forum.

True, but I would say keep this thread in limerick, as this is very relevant to limerick. Also the topics that limerick people will want to discuss on this topic would get lost over on the es forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭TheGimp

There is nothing in that article that I would disagree with.

Former Garda Niall O'Connor even goes so far as calling Limerick a failed society! (live95fm)

Ouch, that's an even worse label than stab city.

A failed working class, a failed middle class, a failed class society?

You've missed the point completely. Stab city was a label, who cared?

But a failed society is a far more complex problem. Irish government is all about regeneration, making those who don't want to work better off than those who do. Give them houses in middle class areas, medical cards etc, and hit the middle class with every tax under the sun.

liammur wrote: »
    You've missed the point completely. Stab city was a label, who cared?

But a failed society is a far more complex problem. Irish government is all about regeneration, making those who don't want to work better off than those who do. Give them houses in middle class areas, medical cards etc, and hit the middle class with every tax under the sun.

You have missed the point completely...

What FDI will come to failed society
    What tourists will visit a failed society

My guess is even less than would invest/visit a city nicknamed Stab City

Mention Limerick and Failed society in the same sentence and the if and buts don't matter, it further stigmatises the city, leading to less FDI interest, less visitors etc etc

If you think for a second that the nobody cared about our nickname "Stab City" you are displaying breathtaking niavety...it has done untold damage...Politicians cannot deliver FDI investment, they can only deliver FDI site visits ( if even ), imagine if you were doing doing your homework on Limerick and god forbid came accross this thread...that is what happens...

And any claims that Limerick is a failed society is way wide of the mark, if this city can be considered a failed society then so can 60-70% of Europe's urban areas....

Nobody has yet counter argued my earlier point re Barcelona / London, Dublins North inner city, Cork Northside ( in parts )...none of those areas have been stigmatised like our city but all display the same, and in many cases worse social conditions...

You have missed the point completely...

What FDI will come to failed society
    What tourists will visit a failed society

My guess is even less than would invest/visit a city nicknamed Stab City

Mention Limerick and Failed society in the same sentence and the if and buts don't matter, it further stigmatises the city, leading to less FDI interest, less visitors etc etc

If you think for a second that the nobody cared about our nickname "Stab City" you are displaying breathtaking niavety...it has done untold damage...Politicians cannot deliver FDI investment, they can only deliver FDI site visits ( if even ), imagine if you were doing doing your homework on Limerick and god forbid came accross this thread...that is what happens...

And any claims that Limerick is a failed society is way wide of the mark, if this city can be considered a failed society then so can 60-70% of Europe's urban areas....

Nobody has yet counter argued my earlier point re Barcelona / London, Dublins North inner city, Cork Northside ( in parts )...none of those areas have been stigmatised like our city but all display the same, and in many cases worse social conditions...

I don't think Dell/Analog/J&J etc were too bothered about the stab city tag when they invested hundreds of millions in the city well over ten years ago, do you?

I do however believe that many middle class families have become totally disillusioned with the society we will live in today.

What has the government done for middle class Limerick since Bertie Ahern became Taoiseach?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Clareman wrote: »
    True, but I would say keep this thread in limerick, as this is very relevant to limerick. Also the topics that limerick people will want to discuss on this topic would get lost over on the es forum.

Clareman, I appreciate your good intentions - but it would be great if you could please move the discussion back to its rightful location as the whole point was to try and have a Limerick-centric discussion.

- I'd have started the topic here in the ES forum if I was particularly concerned or interested in discussing policing on a national level (?) You might also please note that the thread died as soon as it was uprooted.

I don't think Dell/Analog/J&J etc were too bothered about the stab city tag when they invested hundreds of millions in the city well over ten years ago, do you?

I do however believe that many middle class families have become totally disillusioned with the society we will live in today.

What has the government done for middle class Limerick since Bertie Ahern became Taoiseach?

How have performed over the last ten years re FDI, we both know the answer, go back to 2000 ( when the rate of serious crime went up a notch, and the rate of poor negative media coverage went up four or five notches) our infrastructure has improved over that time, yet FDI investment has shrank

I completely agree with you re how the middle class has been treated by our government, in fact apart from the protected class they have destroyed every class of person...evidence of this can be seen not just in our courts but in our classrooms also...

The Irish Government along with our local political establishment have been nothing short of a disgrace.

My point is simply this, a lot of our problems are evident accross the country, not just here, so it is very important that we do not stigmatise ourselves further.

How have performed over the last ten years re FDI, we both know the answer, go back to 2000 ( when the rate of serious crime went up a notch, and the rate of poor negative media coverage went up four or five notches) our infrastructure has improved over that time, yet FDI investment has shrank

I completely agree with you re how the middle class has been treated by our government, in fact apart from the protected class they have destroyed every class of person...evidence of this can be seen not just in our courts but in our classrooms also...

The Irish Government along with our local political establishment have been nothing short of a disgrace.

My point is simply this, a lot of our problems are evident accross the country, not just here, so it is very important that we do not stigmatise ourselves further.

I agree with your last 2 points, but believe me companies don't give a sh*t about names and reputations. All the companies moving to China don't care about Human rights violations. Profits. Bottom line.
    Bertie Ahern's givernment made the conscious decision to freeze Limerick out of FD investment, that's why since 1997 you will how the city has deteriorated.

I agree with your last 2 points, but believe me companies don't give a sh*t about names and reputations. All the companies moving to China don't care about Human rights violations. Profits. Bottom line.
    Bertie Ahern's givernment made the conscious decision to freeze Limerick out of FD investment, that's why since 1997 you will how the city has deteriorated.

I know we are getting off point a bit, but when FDI makes a decision to move to a different country ( be it China, Ireland or where ever, and those decisions are based on a number of different factors ) they then look at regions, they have a number of boxes that need to be ticked, ie Road infrastructure, access to relevant workforce, one of those boxes is how the board or senior management perceive the different regions re standard of living for the staff that have to move to the new location, this, I believe is where we are falling down...because after walkabouts in the different competing regions they will do their homework ( their families will also do their research, mostly online it has to be said ) and very quickly they will become aware of our poor image, they will not question it, they simply won't come here.

I think it important that people realise this, and how important it is to either project a positive image of our city, or do not project an opinion at all, I know how difficult that is for some people, but it is important.

I know we are getting off point a bit, but when FDI makes a decision to move to a different country ( be it China, Ireland or where ever, and those decisions are based on a number of different factors ) they then look at regions, they have a number of boxes that need to be ticked, ie Road infrastructure, access to relevant workforce, one of those boxes is how the board or senior management perceive the different regions re standard of living for the staff that have to move to the new location, this, I believe is where we are falling down...because after walkabouts in the different competing regions they will do their homework ( their families will also do their research, mostly online it has to be said ) and very quickly they will become aware of our poor image, they will not question it, they simply won't come here.

I think it important that people realise this, and how important it is to either project a positive image of our city, or do not project an opinion at all, I know how difficult that is for some people, but it is important.

Look at MBNA. They got a huge grant to set up in Carrick on Shannon. The government of the day gave the grants. A town with a population of 2,500. No infrastructure there, but because the grant was right,,,bang, they brought 1,000 jobs there overnight.

Limerick city & county combined haven't got 1,000 jobs since 1997. Why?

The government.

• Advertisement

Look at MBNA. They got a huge grant to set up in Carrick on Shannon. The government of the day gave the grants. A town with a population of 2,500. No infrastructure there, but because the grant was right,,,bang, they brought 1,000 jobs there overnight.

Limerick city & county combined haven't got 1,000 jobs since 1997. Why?

The government.

Good point, I was basing my opinion on a fairly signifigant FDI employer in the region who were well aware of the poor image we suffer from, despite it they located here, I couldn't help but think how many companies felt the same but located somewhere else

I share your opinion on who is to blame

Good point, I was basing my opinion on a fairly signifigant FDI employer in the region who were well aware of the poor image we suffer from, despite it they located here, I couldn't help but think how many companies felt the same but located somewhere else

I share your opinion on who is to blame

I appreciate where you are coming from. But it's an excuse the likes of willie o dea uses to his advantage. I think LK people should say yes, our city is run down, yes we have got no investment, no private hospital, the maternity is a shambles compared to the 1 in cork - now politicians, fix the problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Hi

In answer to the OP , IE Citizens Appraise your Gardaí,

I take this not as a Limerick issue but a nationwide issue.

I am not a Citizen , I am British but resident in Ireland for 10 years. What I see is a police force that is generally still well respected by most of the law abiding members of the community. They do a tough job, like any police force you don't want to see them until you need them.
    I think they generally seem to show a huge amount of common sense , something which is lacking to a great extent in England, where Police seem to be almost bound by procedures etc. ( I was raised in London so I really only know The Met ), they seem to be more community based which is great.

What worried me by this article , and by the followup interviews on radio etc, is things like the lack of proper resources . For example , how can a traffic Garda pull over a car for possibly being in a dangerous condition , if their own car is in such a poor state of repair that it shouldn't be on the road ? Is it do as I say , not as I do ?

I see a lot of wasted resources , for example , why does everyone needing a passport seem to need to go to get the form signed at the Garda station ( is this a misconception ?? ) , the only times I have been to the local station , there have been half a dozen people waiting to get their form signed. All the time that Garda is signing passport forms , he/she isn't doing a useful job.

Not having any Gadaí in training is crazy , however , the training course is TOO long , and how comes the officers come out without the ability to even drive a car ( the whole ' driving of chiefs permission ' thing ).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,799 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The reason training is so long is because of the amount of training that is needed. The amount of law seems endless, but you only get trained on the main laws that apply in every station (Non-Fatal Offences Act, Public Order, Sexual Crimes, main Traffic laws, Criminal Damage, Theft and Fraud, to name a few). This is not something that you can read and remember, it takes time to learn and even at that it can change on a weekly basis.

Then you have the physical side of things, fitness (to a degree), self-defence, ASP, Pepper Spray & handcuff training, First Aid, dealing with self harm and potential suicide victims, to name a few.

Add in phone techniques, radio techniques, report writing, file preparation, court roleplay, phone roleplay, situation roleplay, and i know for certain there are a lot of elements i am leaving out. This all takes time, and better to do it right and take more time than to take less time and have it half-ar$ed.

I'll admit that there are some parts of training that can be shortened, but the shorter you make it the less trained someone will be. Phase 2 (student observing) needn't be as long, or they could merge it with Phase 4 (attestation) and leave the member observe for a few weeks before getting involved, but everyday experience is definitely needed before giving someone a badge and letting them off.

I remember being told we are the best trained force in the world and that countries setting up new police forces base their training on ours. True or not, i don't know, but the Australian Police are interested in our highest trained members...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

Add in phone techniques, radio

Things must have changed since I was there but I doubt it considering how people answer the phone and ****e talk on the radio
    I remember being told we are the best trained force in the world and that countries setting up new police forces base their training on ours. True or not, i don't know, but the Australian Police are interested in our highest trained members...

Too be honest I think that's just Templemore ****e talk to big up itself. I am not aware of any agency actually adopting our training system despite supposedly admiring it for years now.

And while I like many would love the option of Oz to exist, no Australian force is actually accepting Irish applicants at present. In fact I have heard rumour that they are less than impressed with what they got last time.

Eru wrote: »
    Add in phone techniques, radio

Things must have changed since I was there but I doubt it considering how people answer the phone and ****e talk on the radio

Too be honest I think that's just Templemore ****e talk to big up itself. I am not aware of any agency actually adopting our training system despite supposedly admiring it for years now.

And while I like many would love the option of Oz to exist, no Australian force is actually accepting Irish applicants at present. In fact I have heard rumour that they are less than impressed with what they got last time.

When I was in the college there were officers from Germany over observing the training.

And WA police are currently actively recruiting members from Ireland and UK.

When I was in the college there were officers from Germany over observing the training.
    Yes but has any of it been adopted? EU countries visit each other all the time to 'exchange ideas' but its just a load of ****e if you ask me because we certainly haven't adopted any training from mainland europe and lets be honest, theres plenty that could and should be introduced.

They aren't really. You still need to actually be living in Australia to apply, you just don't need to have permanent residence.

"It is intended that officers who do not have permanent residency and are in Western Australia will apply at this time. Officers not in Western Australia are advised that a future overseas recruiting campaign is being considered, during which WA Police may visit London to assess and select officers. Further details will be on this website when available."

I would be very interested so will keep an eye on their website but could be something for yourself now maybe?

Does anyone know if you could take a career break to go over?

Eru wrote: »
    Yes but has any of it been adopted? EU countries visit each other all the time to 'exchange ideas' but its just a load of ****e if you ask me because we certainly haven't adopted any training from mainland europe and lets be honest, theres plenty that could and should be introduced.

They aren't really. You still need to actually be living in Australia to apply, you just don't need to have permanent residence.

"It is intended that officers who do not have permanent residency and are in Western Australia will apply at this time. Officers not in Western Australia are advised that a future overseas recruiting campaign is being considered, during which WA Police may visit London to assess and select officers. Further details will be on this website when available."

I would be very interested so will keep an eye on their website but could be something for yourself now maybe?

Does anyone know if you could take a career break to go over?

Actually you don't need to be living there, you just need to be in Australia in September for testing.

Yeah I've been thinking about it, I was only discussing it with the wife the other night. We'll see what happens. Nothing tying me to Ireland now but a mortgage.

No career break for it, you have to resign and then if you want to go back in you have to re-apply.

I really dont think so source. It states anyone in Australia now and anyone not physically in Oz should wait not anyone that can be in Australia then should apply. Also, you cannot enter Australia to sit an exam or interview for a job unless you have a work visa already. If you try that on a holiday visa you will be turned around at the airport. I know they will sponsor you but only after they have accepted you not before.

Of course if you throw in an application all they can do is say no and if they say yes then great, nice holiday and a month testing the land in advance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement