Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for a Starter

Options
  • 10-08-2012 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

What level of fitness do you have now? Can you swim? Do you own a bike? Whats your running like?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mmr

Hi,

I'm in the same boat. I'd love to give one a go, even a sprint. I run about 5 k 3 times a week (outside) and I swim on average a 1000 metres in the nice heated swimming pool once or twice a week. I'm not very fast or very good and I don't even own a bike. I was going to join the local triathlon club in Naas ( I'm in newbridge) but honestly, I'm scared.

They all seem so fit and serious. I'm afraid if I tried a lane swim session with the tri club I'd get run over.(Not true I'm sure)

And the open road biking part terrifies me. The only bike in the house is my daughter's purple dora the explorer bike. I'd make a fine sight on that.
    So I need to be 100 per cent before I go investing in equipment.
    I'd love if there was another meek and timid beginner from Kildare,
    hanging around like a bad unfit smell that I could team up with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

mmr wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm in the same boat. I'd love to give one a go, even a sprint. I run about 5 k 3 times a week (outside) and I swim on average a 1000 metres in the nice heated swimming pool once or twice a week. I'm not very fast or very good and I don't even own a bike. I was going to join the local triathlon club in Naas ( I'm in newbridge) but honestly, I'm scared.

They all seem so fit and serious. I'm afraid if I tried a lane swim session with the tri club I'd get run over.(Not true I'm sure)

And the open road biking part terrifies me. The only bike in the house is my daughter's purple dora the explorer bike. I'd make a fine sight on that.
    So I need to be 100 per cent before I go investing in equipment.
    I'd love if there was another meek and timid beginner from Kildare,
    hanging around like a bad unfit smell that I could team up with.

Only advice,

Go for it. Naas is a great club and the knowledge you'll gain from other members is amazing.

The hardest part for most is the swim and you seem to have that.

There are a few early season pool tri's so go for one of them and even try a relay if your not sure of the cycle.

Even borrow a bike for a few weeks to try it out.

Most clubs have winter spinning to bring up your fitness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

Up until a couple of months ago I would of been reasonably fit until I injured my foot. I play hurling and gaa. I do own a bike and ive been cycling and swimming since I got injured because I cant run but hopefully with my treatment ill be better at the end of the week

As above, join a club. What area of Dublin are you in ? Guys from a lot of the clubs here !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

All different but normally meet up for run and cycles and hire pools or do open water swims together.

No doubt some guys from the Dublin clubs will step forward !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Im in santry. How do the clubs work with training etc?

Why don't you check out our new website.

http://www.3dtri.com/

Most clubs training sessions will be winding down over the next fortnight or so as the season comes to an end, but will be back up and running late September/early October gearing up for next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mmr

Thanks a million Elvis, I'm going to give a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭farrerg

I'm in the same boat, I've (just about) done a try-a-tri and a sprint this year and want to keep going with it.
    I'm keen to join a club and get involved in some proper structured training for next year, but I'm a bit worried about being so far behind everyone else!
    I'm going to get in touch with 3D so there'll definitely be at least 1 other newbie there anyway :)

• Advertisement

farrerg wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat, I've (just about) done a try-a-tri and a sprint this year and want to keep going with it.
    I'm keen to join a club and get involved in some proper structured training for next year, but I'm a bit worried about being so far behind everyone else!
    I'm going to get in touch with 3D so there'll definitely be at least 1 other newbie there anyway :)

A good club will deal with beginners to elites.

I still consider myself to be a slow beginner and the help from my club has been great.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭farrerg

A good club will deal with beginners to elites.

I still consider myself to be a slow beginner and the help from my club has been great.
    And everyone has to start somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

farrerg wrote: »

I wouldn't worry about being too far behind at all. By starting now you're giving yourself a huge advantage of 3-4 months training over those who decide to take up Tri as a New Years resolution. Everyone has to start somewhere.
    There will be a huge range of abilities too at most clubs. Even a small club like ours has a wide mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I wouldn't worry about being too far behind at all. By starting now you're giving yourself a huge advantage of 3-4 months training over those who decide to take up Tri as a New Years resolution. Everyone has to start somewhere.
    There will be a huge range of abilities too at most clubs. Even a small club like ours has a wide mix.

When do you guys start pre-season? I'm looking for a club and work beside the NAC, do you get many down for the swim sessions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

hardCopy wrote: »
    When do you guys start pre-season? I'm looking for a club and work beside the NAC, do you get many down for the swim sessions?

We'll probably be looking at around mid-October to start the pre-season / planning for next season for the running and cycling.

Swimming wise we've one week left of the current block on the Monday night swims and then we'll be commencing a new 10 week block concentrating on techinique (as opposed speed /endurance) We usually have around 12 on a Monday night and 6 ish on a Thursday morning, but it can be half that some weeks.

Advertisement