Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

$1000 Duathlon

Options
  • 10-08-2012 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭

So I see the NY Ironman may end up being a duathlon due to some sewage leak.

I presume any that had entered would be entitled to a refund if it pans out like that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Was it really $1000 to enter? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Only $895 it seems, still... pricey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Has anyone ever crunched the numbers on how much profit Ironman makes per race?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Ya i seen Triathlon Ireland looking for people to help out in Galway, i felt like posting surely they make enough from 200 euro entries to pay a few quid and not just a poxy t shirt.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ya i seen Triathlon Ireland looking for people to help out in Galway, i felt like posting surely they make enough from 200 euro entries to pay a few quid and not just a poxy t shirt.

They really should be offering money to helpers or clubs for providing helpers, especially as it is a commercial event which doesn't fundraise for any particular club. Samsung run gave €30 to each volunteer and the womens mini marathon pay clubs €30 for each volunteer they provide.

• Advertisement

They really should be offering money to helpers or clubs for providing helpers, especially as it is a commercial event which doesn't fundraise for any particular club. Samsung run gave €30 to each volunteer and the womens mini marathon pay clubs €30 for each volunteer they provide.

I believe they gave a "donation" to groups of 10 or more:rolleyes:

Our club provide marshalls and helpers for Athy and believe me it ain't for free !!!! ( and thats a money making race )

I believe they gave a "donation" to groups of 10 or more:rolleyes:

Our club provide marshalls and helpers for Athy and believe me it ain't for free !!!! ( and thats a money making race )

But then Athy don't spend must of the take on the prize fund ;)

mloc123 wrote: »
    But then Athy don't spend must of the take on the prize fund ;)

Prize fund actually gets bigger every year BUT instead of it all going to the 8 or 10 at the top its spread over age groups in all races. I think there were 140 ish cash prizes in this years race:)

I know it looks better if the top win big but its also good for those who thought they'd never have a chance to win a prize, actually do !

Pop me a PM and i'll explain more ( just not going off topic too much )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

They'd want to offer more than that if the weather is anything like last year. My heart went out to the volunteers in Oughterard. Fair play to them for giving up their day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Prize fund actually gets bigger every year BUT instead of it all going to the 8 or 10 at the top its spread over age groups in all races. I think there were 140 ish cash prizes in this years race:)

I know it looks better if the top win big but its also good for those who thought they'd never have a chance to win a prize, actually do !

you could explain it in the tri athy thread ....

• Advertisement

peter kern wrote: »
    you could explain it in the tri athy thread ....

I could.

But i just did it here;)

elvis .

so it would be easier for you to use the already existing thread, no ?

elvis .

so it would be easier for you to use the already existing thread, no ?

Ya i just answered a question i seen here. I can only answer what i see.

Ya i just answered a question i seen here. I can only answer what i see.

ok in 2008 you brought over 5 pros to the race i think payed costs and hotel and had a prize fund of 1000 500 300 200 100 ( i think )
    and age group prizes and you say it increases every year
    so my question is can you show us how this happens.

ok in 2008 you brought over 5 pros to the race i think payed costs and hotel and had a prize fund of 1000 500 300 200 100 ( i think )
    and age group prizes and you say it increases every year
    so my question is can you show us how this happens.

No i can't but if you wish you can contact the guys that run the actual race and ask them. I'm not the organiser or race director. This race helps keep my club going so thats why i do my best to answer on THE ACTUAL RACE AND SET UP and not your pet project of prize funds.

And i didn't say age group prizes increased, i said the prize fund increased. If your going to try and pull me up then do it correctly.

Not trying to pull you, just trying to see that i understand your original statement where your said
    'Prize fund actually gets bigger every year"

so I asked and it was close to 10 k back then.(which is a lot to be fair and was only toped by Athlone back then)

Not trying to pull you, just trying to see that i understand your original statement where your said
    'Prize fund actually gets bigger every year"

Well if it was X in 2011 its X+Y in 2012;)

sorry for my poor english i thought, every year means, every year not from 2011 till 2012 ;-)

sorry for my poor english i thought, every year means, every year not from 2011 till 2012 ;-)

Well in 1924 there was alas a slight drop;)

I'm looking forward to taking part in onr of your races Peter, when is the next one ?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Back to the Ironman topic I had heard all Galway entry fees went to IM and not the organisers? Is that a myth? And I would expect a refund if an IM event was changed to a duathlon. Too expensive to end up with a half event like that.

Well in 1924 there was alas a slight drop;)

I'm looking forward to taking part in onr of your races Peter, when is the next one ?

SO come to run with chrissie next tuesday ;- ) all the profits go to charity.

SO come to run with chrissie next tuesday ;- ) all the profits go to charity.

Run, yes your english is awful. A run isn't a race and isn't a triathlon/duathlon or adventure race either. I asked when is the next race you're organising ?

Lads, start your own thread or get a room.

Back to NY Ironman... 'downstream'/tidal swim with the lead pros out of the water in 39mins, bit of a piss take? Even if they were eating **** as they swam.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Lads, start your own thread or get a room.

Back to NY Ironman... 'downstream'/tidal swim with the lead pros out of the water in 39mins, bit of a piss take? Even if they were eating **** as they swam.

Agreed !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Oryx wrote: »
    Back to the Ironman topic I had heard all Galway entry fees went to IM and not the organisers? Is that a myth? And I would expect a refund if an IM event was changed to a duathlon. Too expensive to end up with a half event like that.

IIRC the T&Cs allow for this when you sign up ("in adverse conditions, eg. hurricanes / storms the swim may be modified or cancelled for safety .." the line stuck out in my mind reading it :D).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I see its going up for next year :

From Slowtwitch:
    Online registration for 2013 IRONMAN U.S. Championship will open at 5 p.m. EST on Sunday, August 12, 2012.
    2013 Entry Fees:
    General Entry: $1,200.00 USD
    Premium Entry: $1,700.00 USD

Bambaata wrote: »
    I see its going up for next year :

From Slowtwitch:
    Online registration for 2013 IRONMAN U.S. Championship will open at 5 p.m. EST on Sunday, August 12, 2012.
    2013 Entry Fees:
    General Entry: $1,200.00 USD
    Premium Entry: $1,700.00 USD

****. $1200 to swim in sh!t...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭griffin100

Hey Mloc, sent you a pm but you need to empty your inbox to get it :)

Advertisement