Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proper Horror Films?

• 09-08-2012 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

Right lads, I'm looking for a decent horror film that actually gives you a fright.

I don't want the whole unbelievable Paranormal Activity/Saw crap. I want blood-curdling, hair-raising, "this-could-happen-in-real-life" terror.

Any suggestions? :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Texas Chainsaw Massacre should fit the bill. The sounds are deliberately jagged and unnerving and the producers did a great job, if you ask me.

If you suspend belief - which you really need to do if you want to give a horror movie a fair go - you will certainly not be disappointed.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

If you're like me you've watched so many horror films you're numb to being scared. it might be cheating but video games are scarier than films since the protagonist doesn't survive unless you direct him/her too. The scariest game I couldn't play is Siren Blood Curse for the PS3, DLC game, free to try, cheap to download. I really recommend trying it. Actual legit survival horror.

Have you exhausted Japanese films? Inherently they're grounded in a different culture so things seem creepier, like Ju-On or Ringu would be the most popular. (Maybe Audition, One Missed Call's or Dark Water's original J-version?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Got to be 'The Thing' - 1982 not the remake ****e. Still scares the living crap out of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I'd go for audition. tis a Japanese film and it's not so much scary as it is really freaky :L If you do watch it, stick with it till the end because it's a little slow to start but it's worth the wait entirely!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭briany

ivanh wrote: »
    Right lads, I'm looking for a decent horror film that actually gives you a fright.

I don't want the whole unbelievable Paranormal Activity/Saw crap. I want blood-curdling, hair-raising, "this-could-happen-in-real-life" terror.

Any suggestions? :)

That's a really broad criteria. I would consider Compliance to be terrifying and it's basically a re-telling of a well documented case in America. I consider it terrifying due to how far the film's protaganists went but keep in mind that this film is not classed by most as a horror but a film needn't be labeled as such to be horrifying.

After that you've got The War Game. This was an hour long documentary commissioned by the BBC at the height of the Cold War (late 60s) to educate the British public on the effects of an atomic bomb being dropped on a typical British city. It depicts mass starvation, people dying slowly from 80 percent burns and martial law. Sound horrifying? This film was never shown as it was deemed to alarming. I wouldn't disagree with that assessment.

Then there's Inside, a French film about a heavily pregnant woman who's home is broken into by another woman that wants her baby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

If you want a quick fright, OP, give Slender a try. It's free and can run on practically run on any computer.

http://slendergame.com/download.php

Usually Horror films don't entertain plausible scenarios. You could, however, give the Spanish language film "REC" a go. It was the last great horror film I seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Usually Horror films don't entertain plausible scenarios. You could, however, give the Spanish language film "REC" a go. It was the last great horror film I seen.

There is an overdubbed version of that. It's really good. A fair few frights as well which is great as I rarely find a film scary anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Tindie

When I watch horror movies,
    I would rather the movie to creep me out, then just make me Jump now and again in the hour and half

I do like Jumpy movies now and again"
    REC 1 and 2 have few good Jumps moments, which is great movie
    The Decent 1 and 2

However movies that creep me out, which have longer effect on me!
    The Eye (2002)
    Ju-on-The Curse
    The Baby
    Pet cemetery
    The Entity

I sure there more!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Ring4Fea

The Entity

The Others (possibly the only good film with Nicole Kidman)

Advertisement