Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blur's Top Ten Songs

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

I suppose I may as well post mine, too:

10. Chemical World
    The chorus gets me every time. The way the melody pans out against the descending chords is gorgeous.

9. Blue Jeans
    Another MLIS cut, and this one all about the harmonies. I love this song because it seems so passive, it just drifts in and then out but the melody lingers in your brain for days.

8. Caravan
    Think Tank is possibly Blur's second most accomplished album sonically (after 13) and the languid vocal delivery and guitar pieces grant this tune a disarming beauty; it's placid and sinister in equal doses.

7. Out of Time
    Mesmerisingly pretty, and that oud solo is dazzling.

6. No Distance Left To Run
    Catharsis fits Damon like a glove. Everyone should get their heart broken more often if only they were able to channel the pain like Damon. Graham demonstrates how he was one of the most versatile guitarists of the nineties, especially when you consider this tune was featured on the same album as 'Bugman' and 'Trimm Trabb'.

5. Coffee & TV
    The most beautifully ugly guitar solo you are ever like to hear.

4. Battle
    Anyone who dismisses Blur as foppish purveyors of socially conscious Britpop should realise that Blur were as innovative and dynamic as Radiohead. 'Battle' is the best way to demonstrate that.

3. He Thought Of Cars
    Damon's a very underappreciated lyricist. The narrative running throughout this song is so beguiling that you almost neglect the musical tapestry until the chorus harmonies bring you back around.

2. Music Is My Radar
    Another demonstration of Blur's omnivorous musical stylings; flavours of Afrobeat underpin Graham's cacophonic riffing and Damon's garbled vocals sound as though he was chewing on marbles while laying down the track.

1. Beetlebum
    It sends me into a druggy stupor; it's so noxious and menacing but sexy all the while. Then the chorus kicks in and you feel as though you've just plunged into warm waters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

In no particular order:

sunday sunday
    chemical world
    for tomorrow
    intermission
    beetlebum
    crazy beat
    charmless man
    on your own
    girls and boys
    song 2

i think the puritan is fantastic but havent really listened to under the westway

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

My musical tastes have always been heavily geared towards strong melodies so most of my selections are a tad on the obvious side. Badhead and You're so Great are just two really simple tunes that have stayed with me for years. Love them.

Chemical World
    End of a Century
    To the End
    Badhead
    Best Days
    Beetlebum
    You're So Great
    On Your Own
    Tender
    No Distance Left to Run

Advertisement