Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Started

Options
  • 08-08-2012 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi all,
    After years of slagging off Triathlons as Mid-life crisis clothes-changing races I have decided to get involved! Gonna post a little bit about where I am fitness wise and see what I need to be aiming for, gear I need etc

I joined my local Tri-club this year for swim training so I could do some open water swims in the summer. Due to working anti-social hours I never kept up the club training , but did manage to do some myself and done a few swims this summer, including a 6K sea swim (skins in 2H:20m), a 1400M swim in 25mins and a 750M swim (12:16). The non-skins swims were done in a surfing wetsuit.
    Running wise, have done a few 5K and 10K road races this summer, tend not to do much training for these aside from playing 5 a sides. PB for 5K is 20:05, PB for 10K is 43.50.
    Bike- dont have one!
    So looking for advice here re what equipment i need to sort out. I'm thinking Tri-wetsuit for a start, have no idea where to begin with bikes!

Now obv best advice would be join a club, my problem is that I work an evening shift, and most training/club meets etc are sceduled for evenings during the week. Looking for someone to point me in the direction of a basic training plan, I have a sprintTri in mind i might do at the end of Sep, and then plan to put in the hours over winter for next season, but ive never followed a structured training plan for anything before TBH.
    Other info that may be relevant: Age 30 Height 6'1 wight 89 Kilos (not ideal stats judging by the London 2012 podium)

Any advice appreciated

Advertisement