Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Justice League **Spoilers from post 980 onward**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

MOR316 wrote: »
    Thanks for the answers...

Also, it might just be me but, I found it telling and interesting how when Superman appeared in The Knightmare scene, all of Cyborg, Mera, Flash and even Deathstroke looked ready for battle and had expressions on their faces of wanting to kill Superman
    Where as Batman, looked hesitant, remorseful and almost fearful.

Which also brings up another point...Why was Batman alone in the Knightmare scene in BvS? Where were the rest to save him before Superman killed him?
    Were they dead? Had Darkseid won?

(I know, I know...First movie, characters need to be introduced slowly etc)

I believe this DCEU wiki page maybe able to answer some, if not all of your questions.

https://dcextendeduniverse.fandom.com/wiki/Knightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I would have put Joker as number 1 post Nolan quite comfortably. In terms of execution, original thought and performance I just can't see how it's not, given all the post Snyder DCEU films are weighed down by the baggage of what came before (not blaming Snyder for that, more WB's idiotic decisions).

Joker to me was a chance to shift away from the botched DCEU and they didn't take it. A film that made over a billion dollars on a reduced budget. It really is mind boggling because I can guarantee whatever they're trying to do with The Flash is going to lead to a further sh1tshow.

I wouldn't really count The Joker to be part of that universe. It wasn't perfect and was a bit too ambiguous but its miles ahead of the DCU ones I've seen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Given the original claim clearly referred to all DC films post Nolan I think it's a more than fair inclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Given the original claim clearly referred to all DC films post Nolan I think it's a more than fair inclusion.

To me it feels like counting the Xmen films as part of MCU universe.

There's nothing linking Joker to the other DCU films other than The Joker being a DC character

siblers wrote: »
    To me it feels like counting the Xmen films as part of MCU universe.

There's nothing linking Joker to the other DCU films other than The Joker being a DC character

Different studios apply for Marvel films though (but to be fair I'd no problem putting DOFP above most MCU films), same studio with same people in charge of the DCEU released Joker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

While its not in the same universe, the comment just said it was the best film since Nolan, so its a fair comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

I haven’t checked to see if this has been mentioned - the Synder Cut became available to buy on iTunes today. Only extra is a 25 minute behind the scenes/interview with Snyder.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I haven’t checked to see if this has been mentioned - the Synder Cut became available to buy on iTunes today. Only extra is a 25 minute behind the scenes/interview with Snyder.

Good deal for 19.99 you get the Zack Snyder Justice League Trilogy all in 4K Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos so Man of Steel Batman vs Superman (ultimate edition is included but only hd it might upgrade) and Justice League.
    Justice League on its own is €16.99 might double dip for 3 euros extra to get the first two as well.

Good deal for 19.99 you get the Zack Snyder Justice League Trilogy all in 4K Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos so Man of Steel Batman vs Superman (ultimate edition is included but only hd it might upgrade) and Justice League.
    Justice League on its own is €16.99 might double dip for 3 euros extra to get the first two as well.

I already own Man of Steel and Dawn of Justice. Got the. A long time ago for €4.99 each but now wish I had waited.

It is going to be a long time before the Snyder Cut drops on price.

I bought the theatrical version of Batman V Superman that includes the Ultimate Cut as an extra. The Ultimate Version which includes the theatrical as as an extra (I think) was recently upgraded with a commentary by Snyder. So another reason I should have waited to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

I already own Man of Steel and Dawn of Justice. Got the. A long time ago for €4.99 each but now wish I had waited.

It is going to be a long time before the Snyder Cut drops on price.

I bought the theatrical version of Batman V Superman that includes the Ultimate Cut as an extra. The Ultimate Version which includes the theatrical as as an extra (I think) was recently upgraded with a commentary by Snyder. So another reason I should have waited to buy.

If you're downloading them off iTunes sure you may as well just download them off the high seas where you can watch and do what you want with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Homelander

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    If you're downloading them off iTunes sure you may as well just download them off the high seas where you can watch and do what you want with them.

Well, some people like to actually support the movies. I've bought Blu-rays of quite a few movies that I'll never even open, let alone watch, the physical media for that reason.

Homelander wrote: »
    Well, some people like to actually support the movies. I've bought Blu-rays of quite a few movies that I'll never even open, let alone watch, the physical media for that reason.

I invested in a UHD set up so I'll definitely continue to purchase discs.

I invested in a UHD set up so I'll definitely continue to purchase discs.

You can download 4K. Doesn't need to be a disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,202 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Jesus, one of the original ideas for the title that Snyder & Terrio wanted Batman V Superman to be called...

"Son of Sun and Knight of Night"

https://www.slashfilm.com/batman-v-superman-title-zack-snyder-chris-terrio/
    During an interview at Justice Con this past weekend (via ComingSoon), Snyder and Terrio confirmed that Warner Bros. ultimately chose the title for their superhero sequel, despite the two of them pushing for something “a little bit more poetic” instead.

“I remember when there was a back-and-forth that I had with the studio, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice was like the only title that [Warner Bros. liked],” Snyder explained. “The whole ‘v’ instead of ‘versus,’ it was like this crazy negotiation. I was like, ‘Guys, can’t we just do something like Son of Sun and Knight of Night, or something that’s a little bit more poetic?’ And they were like, ‘Absolutely not’ [Laughs]. I was like, ‘Is it a court case?'”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭techdiver

You can download 4K. Doesn't need to be a disc.

Streaming or downloading (legally) will not come close to the bitrate of disks. Overly compressed 4K is worse than high bitrate 1080p.

techdiver wrote: »
    Streaming or downloading (legally) will not come close to the bitrate of disks. Overly compressed 4K is worse than high bitrate 1080p.

You're just downloading bad copies I guess. My ZNJL was 4K and I cropped it to a proper ratio and it was perfect, sharp. No loss of quality.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I cropped it to a proper ratio and it was perfect, sharp.

*involuntary shaking*

• Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

*involuntary shaking*

LOL.

In fairness, though, most of the film looks like it was actually shot with 1.85 in mind. There's plenty of space above characters heads in most scenes to suggest this. Much of the film looks like open matte.

I actually cropped it myself when I watched it and there's only about 3 or 4 instances where you can truly say that the composition was off. But in general the film lost nothing in 1.85:1. In fact it made for a more pleasing watch over all.

Apple Movie streams picture quality is pretty close to the 4K BR Disc if done right you will notice hardly any compression, what it can't compete with is the uncompressed lossless soundtracks that you can only get on the Disc, you will only get a lossy Dolby Atmos mix on streams, plus you won't get a lot of the Bonus extras you get on the Disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Google Play are offering this film in 4K for €20.99 with no option to rent it. I don't think there are any extras with the Google Play copy. The Microsoft Store are offering it in UHD for €16.99 with likely no extras to offer either.

Of course Amazon & Zavvi have the disc pre-orders for this film up for the past while on their own websites as well. It's likely, according to Amazon, that the 24th of May will be the Blu-ray dispatch date for here & the UK.

• Advertisement

Google Play are offering this film in 4K for €20.99 with no option to rent it. I don't think there are any extras with the Google Play copy. The Microsoft Store are offering it in UHD for €16.99 with likely no extras to offer either.

Of course Amazon & Zavvi have the disc pre-orders for this film up for the past while on their own websites as well. It's likely, according to Amazon, that the 24th of May will be the Blu-ray dispatch date for here & the UK.

Yeah just reading about the 4K release will be split across two discs to max out the bitrate also there will be an additional Digital download extra of the black and white version Justice League Grey exclusive with some retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭techdiver

You're just downloading bad copies I guess. My ZNJL was 4K and I cropped it to a proper ratio and it was perfect, sharp. No loss of quality.

What bitrate?

The issue is that there is no physical media copy to compare with at the moment. Whilst the HBO Max stream was decent it is nowhere near what you will get with Bluray.

Most 4K streaming bitrate is around 15mbps, whereas 4K bluray often averages around 80mbps with peaks much higher.

EDIT: Just to clarify I often compress movies also without any noticeable quality loss. The issue is the source. Movies shot on digital with little or no grain will get by easily on lower bitrates where as other movies need much higher bitrate for comparable quality. Streaming services don't take this into account and target a bitrate regardless of source.

Apple Movie streams picture quality is pretty close to the 4K BR Disc if done right you will notice hardly any compression, what it can't compete with is the uncompressed lossless soundtracks that you can only get on the Disc, you will only get a lossy Dolby Atmos mix on streams, plus you won't get a lot of the Bonus extras you get on the Disc.

You can also download extras, I have to for the Marvel movies as for some stupid reason the EU versions of the blu rays didn't come with extras like the USA.

techdiver wrote: »
    What bitrate?

The issue is that there is no physical media copy to compare with at the moment. Whilst the HBO Max stream was decent it is nowhere near what you will get with Bluray.

Most 4K streaming bitrate is around 15mbps, whereas 4K bluray often averages around 80mbps with peaks much higher.

EDIT: Just to clarify I often compress movies also without any noticeable quality loss. The issue is the source. Movies shot on digital with little or no grain will get by easily on lower bitrates where as other movies need much higher bitrate for comparable quality. Streaming services don't take this into account and target a bitrate regardless of source.

And once the official 4K blu ray is out that will also be on the high seas to download and burn.

I’m not a thief.

If I want something I pay for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'll be frank and honest. I have yet to actually get my arse around to finishing this; I can't think of the last time I started a movie, then struggled so much to pick it up again & finish it. I've watched ~2 hours of the thing, and TBH as fascinating and more cohesive a film it is - compared with the '17 version - its fundamental structural or conceptual problems aren't so different I can summon the energy to complete the viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭ThePott

pixelburp wrote: »
    II've watched ~2 hours of the thing, and TBH as fascinating and more cohesive a film it is - compared with the '17 version - its fundamental structural or conceptual problems aren't so different I can summon the energy to complete the viewing.
    I sort of said the same tbh as much as it is an improvement it still has a lot of the same issue and if I needed to watch Justice League for the sake of brevity I might even stick with the 2 hour cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

While its an improvement on the JW cut, the 4 hours runtime makes it a choir.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

beakerjoe wrote: »
    While its an improvement on the JW cut, the 4 hours runtime makes it a choir.

There is that bit of singing for Aquaman alright :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: No more talk about pirating the film please, by the way. Please read the forum charter - no endorsing or boasting about piracy.

Advertisement