Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coconut oil and saturated fats...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

I recently bought the KTC brand from Amazon.co.uk and at the same time I also got the Cocowel brand from Dunnes.

I have been using both, here are my conclusions.

KTC is cheaper you get 1.5 litres for 6.78 GBP but with the postage 5.30 GBP making a total of 12.08 GBP ( approx euro15.10)

However I think its wiser to really just compare the raw prices of both without the postage costs which I just pointed out for anyone wanting to get a breakdown on the full cost of buying from Amazon.

So what we have is 1.5 litre (6 x 250ml bottles) for a base price of 6.78 (euro 8.50)

KTC oil then is euro 8.50 for 1.5litre.

Cocowel is 4.99 euro for 500ml .

Price per 100ml for comparison.

KTC 0.56 Cent. (approx)

Cocowel 1 euro (approx)

Straight away it obvious how much cheaper the KTC brand is and to be honest when I looked into it a bit further I could tell why.

KTC is a refined oil, this means it has undergone a process known as RBD (Refined Bleached and Deodorized) The reason for this seems to come down to both cost, its cheaper and less labour intensive than the cold pressing of more expensive oils, and also to cater for people who dont like the taste of coconut in their food. There is no discernible taste of coconut and just a faint fragrance or aroma of same. It is an off-white colour and when boiled turns clear but with a yellowish tinge.

The Cocowel brand is entirely different. It is an extra virgin cold pressed oil which tastes and smells very much like you would expect a coconut oil to taste and smell like.

It is also a snow white colour and when boiled it is entirely clear with no tinge.

In terms of cooking,my wife definitely preferred to KTC brand,simply because she could not taste the coconut. When she made roast potatoes in it for example there was no difference to regular sunflower oil but when she used the Cocowel for the same purpose she wouldnt eat the potatoes as they tasted very much of Coconut.

So to sum up I will definitely be using the Cocowel brand from now on, my wife however will be using the KTC, as far as she is concerned it is still a hell of a better choice than regular sunflower oil and of course she is correct. However for a purer taste and an all round better oil it has to be Cocowel.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

youtube! wrote: »
    KTC is cheaper you get 1.5 litres for 6.78 GBP but with the postage 5.30 GBP making a total of 12.08 GBP ( approx euro15.10)
    If you order over £25 worth of stuff on amazon delivery is free. You can mix & match departments, too, e.g. coconut oil, t shirt, dvds, if the combined value is £25 it is free. Sometimes you get lucky and are offered free delivery under £25 too, not certain why.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

@youtube!: I cook with cocowell coconut oil and I don't find a taste of coconut from the foods I use it on, thought I don't eat potatoes.

Did your wife cook the potatoes? if yes, maybe she is expecting the potatoes to taste of coconut as she knows what oil was used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

@youtube!: I cook with cocowell coconut oil and I don't find a taste of coconut from the foods I use it on, thought I don't eat potatoes.

Did your wife cook the potatoes? if yes, maybe she is expecting the potatoes to taste of coconut as she knows what oil was used.

I dont personally eat potatoes anymore but because she was saying how much of a taste there was I had a couple cooked in the oil, I have to say I could definitely notice that coconut flavour, I think potatoes for some reason really picks it up! I have used it to cook bacon eggs sausages and stir fry veg and have not noticed a huge difference, it wouldnt bother me anyhow because I like the taste!

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

I have done absolutley no research on this, apart from reading this thread last night. Obviously I ran straight out this morning and bought this jar of coconut oil *insert Homer Simpson gif here*
    I bought the unrefined stuff here is the page on the companys website yapping on about the benifits of the oil.
    I should also point out that I am living in Western Australia at the moment and I founf this stuff in coles in the health food section, but at $10.65 for the jar it isn't cheap.
    Iam allways battling with my weight and at 17.5st I wouldn't mind getting down to 16st. I am not on a diet at the moment but am allways watching what I eat so as not to increase my weight, and if this will help me to stop snacking then it will do alot for me. Also looking forward to the increased energy and increased metabolism that has been mentioned in this thread. Anyway i will keep an eye on this thread and hopefully will come back in a few weeks time to verify it's amazing qualities and benefits:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mshellster

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone knows where the cheapest places would be in Dublin city centre to pick up coconut oil like the KTC brand? Moved up recently and the only Asian shop I popped into didn't have any and haven't had a chance to properly search for it yet. Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 timelord13

I bought 100% raw coconut oil about three weeks ago. Predominately for my skin, but the metabolism benefits secondly.

I am aware that the advice is to build up to your reccomended 2/3/4 tbsp per day. However, I began with half tsp. I was very nauseous & was unable to keep even that tiny amount down. Hoping it was just an initial reaction I continued but began mixing it into porridge, or spreading it on toast to fool my stomach.

No chance. I gave up after 11 days. Has anyone else experienced this? Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

Mshellster wrote: »
    Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone knows where the cheapest places would be in Dublin city centre to pick up coconut oil like the KTC brand? Moved up recently and the only Asian shop I popped into didn't have any and haven't had a chance to properly search for it yet. Thanks in advance!

Asian store at the back entrance to jervais shopping centre, luas stop is right outside its door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

timelord13 wrote: »
    I bought 100% raw coconut oil about three weeks ago. Predominately for my skin, but the metabolism benefits secondly.

I am aware that the advice is to build up to your reccomended 2/3/4 tbsp per day. However, I began with half tsp. I was very nauseous & was unable to keep even that tiny amount down. Hoping it was just an initial reaction I continued but began mixing it into porridge, or spreading it on toast to fool my stomach.

No chance. I gave up after 11 days. Has anyone else experienced this? Am I missing something?

Have you tried it in coffee/tea/green tea ?

Maybe try Bulletproof coffee/tea

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/how-to-make-your-coffee-bulletproof-and-your-morning-too/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

timelord13 wrote: »

I doubt it was the problem but have you tried a different brand?? It's pretty inoffensive stuff, there's no strong smell or taste off it! The texture takes a bit of getting use to off the spoon but it melts after a few seconds in your mouth & is just a light oil! Or that's what I've found! I've had expensive Extra virgin Coconut oil & cheap KTC brand coconut oil...hardly any difference between either!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Have you tried it in coffee/tea/green tea ?

Maybe try Bulletproof coffee/tea

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/how-to-make-your-coffee-bulletproof-and-your-morning-too/

I use a teaspoon of it in my green tea all the time, it takes a bit of getting used to as you can taste the greasiness on your lips after each sip.

I buy mine from Nourish health store (Viridian 100% organic virgin raw co) cost me €17 for a 500g jar.

Just to include a link for it's uses....I use it for everything, cooking/baking,skin care,massage,mouth wash,hair mask...the list is endless:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

tan11ie wrote: »
    I use a teaspoon of it in my green tea all the time, it takes a bit of getting used to as you can taste the greasiness on your lips after each sip.

I buy mine from Nourish health store (Viridian 100% organic virgin raw co) cost me €17 for a 500g jar.

Just to include a link for it's uses....I use it for everything, cooking/baking,skin care,massage,mouth wash,hair mask...the list is endless:)

You can get 500g extra virgin coconut oil in Supervalue for €6 & that's still a ripoff! ktc brand is every bit as good, €3 per 500g tub, I'm sure you can get it cheaper! You're been ripped off big time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Burkatron wrote: »
    You can get 500g extra virgin coconut oil in Supervalue for €6 & that's still a ripoff! ktc brand is every bit as good, €3 per 500g tub, I'm sure you can get it cheaper! You're been ripped off big time!

I've never seen it in Supervalu, but I'll certainly check again tomorrow as I'm nearing the end of my jar. I just found the Ktc brand but it doesn't seem to give any info ...do you know for sure that it's organic extra virgin?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

superquinn has 500g extra virgin for 6 euro, dunno if supervalu do

im a little unsure on the ktc stuff myself, it is quite a bit cheaper on that site (although with the 10 euro delivery charge you'd have to buy a lot of it to make any sort of savings from the superquinn stuff)

is it every bit as good for cooking/eating off a spoon as the extra virgin stuff?

decided to finally try this stuff as a moisturizer having read so much about how good it is for the skin

I have rosacea which isn't too bad as far as rosacea goes and I also have pretty bad backne on my shoulders. put a bit of coconut oil on my face and on my shoulders before going to bed last night, waited about an hour topless, shivering and greasy before deciding i'd just put too much on and it wasn't going to soak into my skin fast enough and just went to bed greasy as I was.

woke up this morning with my face a little improved. like it would be on a good day, no major noticeable changes but my shoulders... while there doesn't appear to be less redness there.. it's definitely milder and much improved. and that's just after one night. gona keep this up for a couple of weeks and see what happens but after just one application this is an incredible improvement.

might have to look into mixing the coconut oil with something else to help it stay a little softer at room temp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Try it in your hair next.

i get a grade 1 every couple of weeks at the barber :)

if I ever do decide to grow it out again, I will. god damn I miss my long hair

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

i get a grade 1 every couple of weeks at the barber
    wayyyy off topic, but you should get yourself a clippers and do it yourself, a blade 1 is extremely easy to do yourself (i.e. easier than a 3 or 4 all over). They have ones especially designed for DIY cutting now, though I would advise getting a decent wahl one. I have a wahl professional "balding" trimmer, costs a bit more but is a joy to use, much faster cutting speed so does it in no time, should last decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

decided to finally try this stuff as a moisturizer having read so much about how good it is for the skin

I have rosacea which isn't too bad as far as rosacea goes and I also have pretty bad backne on my shoulders. put a bit of coconut oil on my face and on my shoulders before going to bed last night, waited about an hour topless, shivering and greasy before deciding i'd just put too much on and it wasn't going to soak into my skin fast enough and just went to bed greasy as I was.

woke up this morning with my face a little improved. like it would be on a good day, no major noticeable changes but my shoulders... while there doesn't appear to be less redness there.. it's definitely milder and much improved. and that's just after one night. gona keep this up for a couple of weeks and see what happens but after just one application this is an incredible improvement.

might have to look into mixing the coconut oil with something else to help it stay a little softer at room temp

As great as coco oil is, word of warning for your skin ... It's very very comedogenic as an oil so it you are prone to face acne, this may not help, **** load of other oils for the skin that are not comedogenic. Google 'oil cleansing method', might help with rosacea. Also a UVB lamp will do great things for rosacea.

rubadub wrote: »
    wayyyy off topic, but you should get yourself a clippers and do it yourself, a blade 1 is extremely easy to do yourself (i.e. easier than a 3 or 4 all over). They have ones especially designed for DIY cutting now, though I would advise getting a decent wahl one. I have a wahl professional "balding" trimmer, costs a bit more but is a joy to use, much faster cutting speed so does it in no time, should last decades.

yeah I will be. meant to get one a month or two ago but funds were required elsewhere. hopefully be able to get a decent one in december.

As great as coco oil is, word of warning for your skin ... It's very very comedogenic as an oil so it you are prone to face acne, this may not help, **** load of other oils for the skin that are not comedogenic. Google 'oil cleansing method', might help with rosacea. Also a UVB lamp will do great things for rosacea.

yeah ive seen people saying that online all right. I dont get face acne though, a few spots here and there which is par for the course with rosacea but nothing major. it's mainly just the redness and rosacea skin issues I have so hopefully the coconut oil will be able to help a bit there. I'm going to be buying it anyway so I'd rather it did the job and not have to shell out on the uber expensive 'la roche posay' stuff i've been using recently which is just about all i've found that actually helps it longish term.

i've read about the lamps too, have it filed away for a future google/purchase :)

--edit

actually something else I forgot. I always get very bad shaving rash on the sides of my neck. nothing i've tried either with shaving, shaving cream/foam or after shave care has done much/anything for it.

slathered on some coconut oil last night. not a red bump in sight. skin is completely fine where normally, even 3-4 days after shaving it'd be red and sore looking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Locust

Has anyone tried or heard of MCT oil?
    http://www.mrsupplement.com.au/mct-oil

Its meant to be like coconut oil only concentrated?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

Stumbled on this thread last nyt & found this in superquinn for 5.99 so got 2 tubs,what should i do now, melt it down & put it in a squeezable tub of some kind??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

It depends what your doing with it, It will melt in your hands, you dont need to melt it down. Just use it in place of other cooking oils, scoop it out with a spoon.

I throw a scoop into my porridge in the morning too, Or you can grab some a melt it in your hands and use it as a moisturiser.

Zombienosh wrote: »
    It depends what your doing with it, It will melt in your hands, you dont need to melt it down. Just use it in place of other cooking oils, scoop it out with a spoon.

I throw a scoop into my porridge in the morning too, Or you can grab some a melt it in your hands and use it as a moisturiser.

Yea i just had a spoon full as is & it was grand, just put some in my coffee after watching a clip on youtube :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

lester76 wrote: »
    Yea i just had a spoon full as is & it was grand, just put some in my coffee after watching a clip on youtube :D

haha, you can literally put it in anything. I went mad with it when I first started using it as a moisturiser and it caused a break out of spots, other than that I can't think of any side effects.
    People do say it speeds up your metabolism, but thats a good thing :pac:

Zombienosh wrote: »
    haha, you can literally put it in anything. I went mad with it when I first started using it as a moisturiser and it caused a break out of spots, other than that I can't think of any side effects.
    People do say it speeds up your metabolism, but thats a good thing :pac:

Yea thats another reason to try it out,im off the fags 5wks & bck in the gym carrying a lil to much timber for my liking so il try anything to speed up my metabolism:D .. It has alot of uses cant believe i never heard of its benefits b4 so thank you boards haha

that cocowel stuff is what I use. one in the kitchen for food stuff, one in the bathroom for moisturiser or if im alone in the house and feeling frisky

they changed the packaging recently and i think they also changed somethging about the product itself.. the texture is different. cant see any difference in the ingredients but it definitely feels different going down

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭miss tickle

mct oil is good for concentration but coconut oil also has an anti fungal and antibacterial action which makes it more superior imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭miss tickle

sorry was replying to prev thread about mct and forgot quotes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 webmaster7

Coconut oil is one of the best oil for cooking considering the human diet. It is good to see the benefits that you had from coconut oil. The main advantage of coconut oil is it is free of cholesterol.
    ______
    pure coconut oil

Advertisement