Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paid Original Gigs!

Options
  • 01-08-2012 1:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hey folks,

I'm a member of an original band and as I'm sure many of you know it can be quite hard to raise funds in this game! I'm wondering if any of you can recommend any pubs around the country who would pay (a modest fee) for an original band to do a show? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 JPROD

Bodes well for original bands the amount of replies you've gotten to this don't it man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

take it to the street

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭KrakityJones

I don't think it's as simple as finding which pubs pay for gigs and which don't, most, if not all pubs will pay you for playing, but - you need to prove to them that it is worth their while paying you, ultimately it's all business, they need to make money, and they will hire you to help with that. If you can't make them anything, then you are a cost to the bar. Equally if you bring in a pile of people, and make them extra profits you should be compensated for that.

What I've done in the past is make an agreement with the bar that if you bring in x amount of people, or agree a certain threshold (eg the bar takes in €300) then you will get paid, otherwise you'll do the gig for free. You take the risk away from the bar then as they aren't worried they'll take a chance on you and lose out because a) you didn't bring any people in and b) you drove out their normal customers.

Another way about it that I've done is say to the bar that you'll do the first gig free, and agree that subsequent gigs will be paid if they like you. Yes you will find a few places that take advantage of that and don't bring you back again but those are the kind of places you don't want to deal with anyway.

That's unless you already have a great reputation and can command money, but if you did I'm guessing you wouldn't be asking the question here now. If you aren't very well known you aren't really in a position to demand money for playing, at least not right away anyway, neither should you expect to put all the work into your music and not get something for your time, but a fair compromise like above should work for everyone, has done for me anyways.

Them's my thoughts anyway.

Advertisement