Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macca, what are your thoughts on him

Options
  • 31-07-2012 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭

What are people's views on Macca. I always thought he was a bit of a dick but after reading his book and how he approached and took on Kona in 2010 I have a new found respect from him and how he approaches races and training.
    At the pointy end the mental and tactical game is as much as important as having just natural ability although you need that as well.

BTW now I have read it it's for sale for anyone interested:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

Big fan, love his imtalk interviews before and after he won kona, if motivation is low a long run listening to that gets me going again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

great athlete, absolutely massive respect for anyone that can work that hard and still be willing to give their real dream a lash even if its a longshot (his recent divergence back for the olympics). that said, i dont like his personality and that view only intensified after reading his book.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

What are people's views on Macca. I always thought he was a bit of a dick but after reading his book and how he approached and took on Kona in 2010 I have a new found respect from him and how he approaches races and training.
    At the pointy end the mental and tactical game is as much as important as having just natural ability although you need that as well.

BTW now I have read it it's for sale for anyone interested:)

Total d1ck, know some Aussies who told some interesting stories. Not suitable for here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Every pro can learn from this guy how to deal with sponsors and what it actually means to be a pro and make a living of it.

Like yourself Dave he understands makeing provoking statements which are often BS always work to get attention.
    He is as much actor than prefesional athlete.

peter kern wrote: »
    Every pro can learn from this guy how to deal with sponsors and what it actually means to be a pro and make a living of it.

Like yourself Dave he understands makeing provoking statements which are often BS always work to get attention.
    He is as much actor than prefesional athlete.

What I based my comments on is not in the public domain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Unless stuff is out there about these athletes all you can generally judge them on is their interviews and their performances. I like his arrogant nature and his ability to learn and adapt. Kona proved that. He does go a bit OTT at times but as Peter says people could leran a lot from him.

After all that, I'm a fan but I don't have the insight that Dave has so maybe that would change my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I like him.

Seems to be a focused selfish type of person who gives his all to maximise his chances of success. Felt a bit sorry for him coming back to ITU and realising he couldn't compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭griffin100

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Classy guy

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭keelang

[BTW now I have read it it's for sale for anyone interested] how much for the book inc.postage ? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭longshank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

tunney wrote: »
    Total d1ck, know some Aussies who told some interesting stories. Not suitable for here.

Yeah i know he is not liked by many alright in particular some fellow Aussies. After reading his book and how things started out with the Aussie federation i am surprised he swallowed his pride and attempted to get back to short course racing and try qualifying for OLY selection.
    E-mail me the not suitable piece it may change my mind on him:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

keelang wrote: »
    [BTW now I have read it it's for sale for anyone interested] how much for the book inc.postage ? :)

It cost me 13stg, say 10euro and i will cover postage. I left it in Turkey so will not have it for another 2 weeks until missus brings it home.

It cost me 13stg, say 10euro and i will cover postage. I left it in Turkey so will not have it for another 2 weeks until missus brings it home.

I can get it off her this weekend. Ba-Boom

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

Macca is a great athlete but as a person he is classless.

Andreas Raelert is more to my tastes.

Briando wrote: »
    Macca is a great athlete but as a person he is classless.

Andreas Raelert is more to my tastes.

Wow - wish I had thought of this description. Sums it up nicely.

Advertisement