Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Busking Rules

Options
  • 31-07-2012 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Anybody Hear about this?
    50 feet away from other buskers
    No amps
    No busking Near Hot spots eg temple bar ect
    theres people out every night doing drugs But they clamp down on buskers!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭LampyJo

50 feet from another busker I can understand, but no amps?! Some of the best out there use amps. Crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Sharktopus

I dont think it's no amps - there are amp free zones and a limit on amps to 15w.

Some sane things in there - there is a volume war going on in temple bar at the moment to the detriment of other buskers who are finding it hard to get heard and there are some acts that are overly territorial about their spots as well.

So this is to be welcomed. Now if only the could do something about the junkies....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

I haven't read the whole thing, but I like the idea.
    I have to walk down Grafton street everyday, and I wouldn't mind a bit of quality and volume control. I would hate to be working in one of the shops...

But I don't know about the curfew... I have heard some amazing stuff late at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Volume is one thing, repetition is another. There is a guy who sings, accompanied by a karaoke type machine (he is not too loud, and not a bad singer). He sets up at the junction of O'Connell/Henry St.

I was recently in a nearby shoe shop, and jokingly asked the assistant how she liked getting serenaded. She said at first it was OK, but when you are getting the same few songs every day from around 11.00 am till around 4.00 pm (with a short break in between), it begins to grate on the nerves. I can see her point. It may be a novelty for a couple of minutes to the casual passer by, but spare a thought for nearby workers who have to listen to it on a permanent basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

From what I've heard:

Amplifiers limited to 15w.
    No more than staying 1 hour in the same spot.
    No drums, use cajon.
    Must know 20 songs (to avoid repitition).

These were reached after consultation with street performers.
    And I think it's all voluntary.

• Advertisement
Advertisement