Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Ladbrokes - Withholding deposited funds

  • 30-07-2012 3:31pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ DEVOTION


    I signed up for an online Ladbrokes account recently. The registration went fine and they then asked did I want to deposit some funds, which I did.

    When I went to use this money I was shut out of my account and told to contact Ladbrokes support. Got an email reply from them in which they told me they wanted the following:

    1. A clear copy of your Passport/ I.D. card (both sides).
    2. A clear copy of the credit card (both sides).
    3. A clear copy of a recent bank statement showing your address. Please note that we will be unable to accept screenshots of online bank statements.


    This after having absolutely no qualms in taking the money from the card in the first place. I refused to send the items above and asked for the money to be refunded, to which they replied that I would need to send the above items for them to process the refund. What a joke. Surely if my security credentials were okay to take the money from my card then they should be okay to refund it. If their is an issue then why would a company take the money first and ask for proof of ID after.

    Anyway, has anyone come across this with them before and how was it resolved?


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭ ft9


    DEVOTION wrote: »
    I signed up for an online Ladbrokes account recently. The registration went fine and they then asked did I want to deposit some funds, which I did.

    When I went to use this money I was shut out of my account and told to contact Ladbrokes support. Got an email reply from them in which they told me they wanted the following:

    1. A clear copy of your Passport/ I.D. card (both sides).
    2. A clear copy of the credit card (both sides).
    3. A clear copy of a recent bank statement showing your address. Please note that we will be unable to accept screenshots of online bank statements.


    This after having absolutely no qualms in taking the money from the card in the first place. I refused to send the items above and asked for the money to be refunded, to which they replied that I would need to send the above items for them to process the refund. What a joke. Surely if my security credentials were okay to take the money from my card then they should be okay to refund it. If their is an issue then why would a company take the money first and ask for proof of ID after.

    Anyway, has anyone come across this with them before and how was it resolved?

    Just send the items easiest way to sort it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ mrshopkeeper


    ft9 wrote: »
    Just send the items easiest way to sort it.


    Threaten them with Joe Duffy - much easier than all that paperwork/phonecalls/scanning/posting.....


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 UrbanSea


    You could go into one of the shops and withdraw with the odds on card


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭ okidoki987


    All bookies do it.
    It's a money laundering thing, they have to make sure you are who you say you are.


  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ DEVOTION


    Thanks for the replies. I got on to my credit card provider and it looks like they're going to rescind the payment.

    My issue is with them taking the payment and then asking me to jump through hoops.

    P.S. Paddy P didn't do it. :)


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭ okidoki987


    Thanks for the replies. I got on to my credit card provider and it looks like they're going to rescind the payment.

    Would be interested in hearing what you told them so they are going to do that for you?
    My issue is with them taking the payment and then asking me to jump through hoops.

    Think of it this way, they don't know you and they need photo ID & Utility bill nowadays to establish that you are who you say you are.
    You could an identity thief and are trying to open an account with the details you have stolen.
    Any winnings you get paid to a Paypal, Western union and so on.
    At least this way, you won't be scammed by identity theif.
    Try opening a Bank Account and see how bad that is!
    P.S. Paddy P didn't do it

    Did you win anything off them?

    When I went to use this money I was shut out of my account

    Normally they let you use the funds.
    It's only when you go to withdraw, you need to send in ID.
    MIght also have been due to your location.
    There are security tags for certain regions which need to be satisfied before they allow you to continue.
    Try ordering something living in Nigeria on Ebay/Paypal.


  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ DEVOTION


    okidoki987 wrote: »
    Would be interested in hearing what you told them so they are going to do that for you?

    I told them the truth. They seem to agree. I paid for something that I am being prevented from accessing.

    okidoki987 wrote: »
    Think of it this way, they don't know you and they need photo ID & Utility bill nowadays to establish that you are who you say you are.
    You could an identity thief and are trying to open an account with the details you have stolen.

    Then they should inform me of this before I lodge funds. If there is a security doubt then they shouldn't take the money from me. It's a bit strange to take my money and then prevent me from using it.

    okidoki987 wrote: »
    Did you win anything off them?

    Yes.


  • Registered Users Posts: 559 DB74


    How did you win money off them if you weren't able to use the funds?


  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ DEVOTION


    DB74 wrote: »
    How did you win money off them if you weren't able to use the funds?

    Really? Read through the posts again.

    Anyway, all sorted. Thanks.


  • Registered Users Posts: 559 DB74


    DEVOTION wrote: »
    Really? Read through the posts again.

    Anyway, all sorted. Thanks.

    I've read it again and you have stated that you lodged money and were prevented from using it. You also stated that you won money off them. So again, how did you win money off them if you were prevented from using your funds.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ DEVOTION


    DB74 wrote: »
    DEVOTION wrote: »
    Really? Read through the posts again.

    Anyway, all sorted. Thanks.

    I've read it again and you have stated that you lodged money and were prevented from using it. You also stated that you won money off them. So again, how did you win money off them if you were prevented from using your funds.

    I never stated that I won money from Ladbrokes. I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve here but you won't achieve it. Read again, paying attention to everyone's comments and quotes.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭ okidoki987


    He won money from Paddy Power and not Ladbrokes.


  • Registered Users Posts: 559 DB74


    D'oh!

    Sorry about that

    :o


  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ mrshopkeeper


    okidoki987 wrote: »
    All bookies do it.
    It's a money laundering thing, they have to make sure you are who you say you are.

    I set up (and subsequently withdrew winnings) with Ladbrokes and WHills in the past few months at different times, and neither has required the documentation required of the OP. I think that the OP was sensible in his/her refusal to supply the documentation.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭ okidoki987


    OP was sensible in his/her refusal to supply the documentation.

    If don't supply them, they are within their rights not to pay you.


  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ DEVOTION


    okidoki987 wrote: »
    If don't supply them, they are within their rights not to pay you.

    I'm not sure if this comment was in reference to me but I wasn't looking for them to "pay" me. I was looking for them to give me back the money they took from my card and then blocked me from accessing.

    Wouldn't it be a whole lot better if they alerted a customer, whilst they are trying to lodge the funds, with a message saying that they won't accept the lodgement until passport scans and all that other crap are provided. The customer can then decide if they want to proceed or walk away.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭ okidoki987


    Not aimed at you but an important note that people should be aware of when opening accounts with bookies.


  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭ wicklowdub


    Think this is standard with Uk firms as an anti money laundering policy, think the customs & revenue make them do this. There was a time you could deposit money in shops back and withdraw into your account as "winnings" from a bookie. I dont think there is the same legislation in Ireland with the banks and so you dont have to provide all those details to PP.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 clickerquicklic


    This is standard practice everywhere, most books will ask for some form of Id it varies , I have openned 700 different bookmaker accounts over the last 4 years , I have had some strange requests , one bookie asked for a picture of me holding my id up against my face . I would send the ID they need , Ladbrokes is a very valuable account to have , if "ahem" a mate was to open a ladbrokes account and place bets for me id give him a few hundred for himself , great book.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,191 BKC


    This is standard practice everywhere, most books will ask for some form of Id it varies , I have openned 700 different bookmaker accounts over the last 4 years , I have had some strange requests , one bookie asked for a picture of me holding my id up against my face . I would send the ID they need , Ladbrokes is a very valuable account to have , if "ahem" a mate was to open a ladbrokes account and place bets for me id give him a few hundred for himself , great book.

    Why? :pac:


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ mrshopkeeper


    , . I would send the ID they need , Ladbrokes is a very valuable account to have , if "ahem" a mate was to open a ladbrokes account and place bets for me id give him a few hundred for himself , great book.

    Their odds are sometimes better than the rest, but in my own experience these online betting accounts prove more valuable for the bookmaker than for myself:o


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 clickerquicklic


    BKC wrote: »
    Why? :pac:

    Because its the only way i can get my bets on , most bookies will limit you fairly quickly , you want to also be getting your bets on at the very best price otherwise you won't make money .


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 clickerquicklic


    Their odds are sometimes better than the rest, but in my own experience these online betting accounts prove more valuable for the bookmaker than for myself:o

    Cut out the silly first goalscorer , correct score , doubles , trebles etc , get a staking plan and only take odds that are higher than Betfair and you will slowly see your bank roll grow.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,191 BKC


    Because its the only way i can get my bets on , most bookies will limit you fairly quickly , you want to also be getting your bets on at the very best price otherwise you won't make money .

    Yeah, but 700 like? Do you keep making multiple accounts with the same bookies under different names or do you just use the same name and make one bet before you're limited?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 clickerquicklic


    BKC wrote: »
    Yeah, but 700 like? Do you keep making multiple accounts with the same bookies under different names or do you just use the same name and make one bet before you're limited?

    At this moment I have 709 accounts at different bookies , so 709 different bookmakers , in total including accounts in partners name i have over 1000 . Over half of them would be useless , ie can't get more than a couple of quid on .


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,191 BKC


    At this moment I have 709 accounts at different bookies , so 709 different bookmakers , in total including accounts in partners name i have over 1000 . Over half of them would be useless , ie can't get more than a couple of quid on .

    I would have never imagined there are so many bookies! :pac:

    Out of interest, are you limited by all the main bookies here - PP, WH, Ladbrokes, Boyles, etc.?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 clickerquicklic


    BKC wrote: »
    I would have never imagined there are so many bookies! :pac:

    Out of interest, are you limited by all the main bookies here - PP, WH, Ladbrokes, Boyles, etc.?

    I can still get some bets on at ladbrokes on cricket and tennis , PP , hills boyles etc are all closed on sportsbook side .


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 UrbanSea


    709?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭ paddyg91


    UrbanSea wrote: »
    709?

    The people of Sligo deserve better than a defector bettor.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭ paddyg91


    I have 5 digits in 188, they ask for the same thing, do it and you'll be fine.


Advertisement