Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backstroke in Triathlon

Options
  • 30-07-2012 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am currently training for the Dub Marathon, but after that i would like to move to Triathlons. I am a weak swimmer, so need a lot of work on that stage.

I am wondering is the backstroke allowed for part of the swimming leg. I can see some triathlons are front crawl only, where some don't state.

Really interest in Athlone, Athy and Dublin City Tris in particular.

Thanks in Advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

I was watching Tri K******y yesterday (girlfriend was doing it) and a good few used backstroke, at least at times.
    Around 10% of people in certain waves were doing the doggy-paddle, a few others made progress using a just-thrash-about approach.

Some folks just lay on their backs, kicked a little and let the current do its work.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Do whatever gets you around, if you are a beginner. The stroke is not specified though front crawl is generally what people do because its fastest and easiest. I did backstroke for part of the swim in my first tri, which had gone badly wrong and bs was all I could do bar being rescued. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Saw someone doing backstroke and FAST in Athy, not as easy to do in open water as you can't sight or latch on to anyone. Don't think there are specifications to what stroke you do are there? Do the butterfly. :)
    a few others made progress using a just-thrash-about approach.

LOL :D

What was the deal with the olympic swim in the race your girlfriend did Basster? checked the results on Sat, was it only 750m?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I'm planning on doing Fly for Lost Sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

What was the deal with the olympic swim in the race your girlfriend did Basster? checked the results on Sat, was it only 750m?

Would you believe I don't actually don't know, and was wondering myself when I saw the results.
    She was in the first wave of the sprint, and the olympic distance final wave was long gone. (Her folks place is nearby so we weren't hanging around after racking the bike). I can only assume it was cut short going by the times. Shame, seems much the same conditions as last year when I did the olympic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Basster wrote: »
    Would you believe I don't actually don't know, and was wondering myself when I saw the results.
    She was in the first wave of the sprint, and the olympic distance final wave was long gone. (Her folks place is nearby so we weren't hanging around after racking the bike). I can only assume it was cut short going by the times. Shame, seems much the same conditions as last year when I did the olympic.

Yep the upstream section was cut out on the Olympic so was only a downstream 750m. The current was pretty strong, not so strong that you couldn't swim upstream but for some of the weaker swimmers it could have taken an eternity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I did some backstroke in my first tri years ago. I used it to take a breather. Still to this day i can remember that swim! I tried every stroke i could think of and used plenty of the "just-thrash-about approach".

Advertisement