Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike advice for noob

Options
  • 29-07-2012 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Hoping to do a first triathlon next year after getting into running this year.

Gonna buy a bike on the bike to work scheme so my budget is up to 1000.

I see that try bikes are all well over that budget.

Will a road bike suffice?

Any recommendations? I have seen a GT series 4 and Giant Defy 2 in that range?

Plus, any good starter training plans or sites out there?

Wish me luck!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

A road bike will be fine, the majority of people race on road bikes. If you have extra €€ you can't get a bike for over €1000, the BTW scheme will just pay for the first 1000 then you've to pay the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

Thanks a mill.

I assume for a beginner there is not much of an advantage to be gained with a try bike anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

There is a light and day difference between them.

80% of the resistance you meet while cycling 30km/h+ is wind resistance from your body. Not the bike frame, wheels etc.

Having a well fitted tri bike will allow you to get into a comfortable postion out of the wind and let you go faster for the same effort.

I moved from a Scott S60 with clipon tri bars to a fitted Tri bike and the difference was astonishing. My training parter who spend the last 2 years giving me ****e for being slower than him, at the same time he bought a road bike. On our first training cycle together he started to complain of his legs burning while trying to stay with me, even while drafting off me.

I cant stick with him while he is on tri bike and I am not, and visa-versa.

If you main focus if triathlon then buy a tri bike. If it is just to cycle then get a road bike, as a lot of cycle clubs only allow people with road bikes to join there group cycles.

Best of luck in your search for a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

buy a road bike to start off with...a tt bike is only a race bike, they arent bikes for training on. I have the gt series 4 and have been riding one for 18 months and find it a very good bike. I rode my first year of triathlon on that bike with clip on bars. you can always invest in a tt bike down the line when you are sure triathlon is for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

What should you be looking for when looking at bikes?
    There are so many varing models

frame? material, weight, size?
    forks?
    gears?
    brakes?

anything else. Cheers

• Advertisement

Ok

So I am gonna settle on a road bike, funds wont allow a tri bike.

So where to go to get a good bike and good fitting?

Ok so I settled on a Giant Defy. The reviews are too good to ignore for the price.

I am getting it on the bike to work scheme and also the shop I am going to I can get the Defy 1 (and pay a tiny bit extra) or get the defy 2 and kit myself out with helmet and few accessories.

Given I am new to triathlon I am thinking just get the Defy 2 with accessories unless everyone here says for for the defy 1. I am thinking that if I do decide to upgrade in a year or 2, I would probably still want to upgrade from a defy 1 anyway to not much advantage to it.

Advertisement