Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate Covers Band

Options
  • 29-07-2012 2:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭

I dunno if this has been done before and I've had a search but can't find it. I'm trying to figure out everybody's favourite songs to hear from a covers band. When you're in the pub and there's a rockin band playin, what are the best songs that they play and what are the songs that get everybody moving on the dancefloor.

Trying to put a covers band together but need to get moving on it fast so research time is very limited. Any help ye can give is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Rigsby

There is plenty of choice out there for good cover songs. IMO, you would be better off trying to come up with songs that other cover bands do'nt play. I am sure there are lots of great songs that are not generally covered. Two that come to mind are "Hatian Divorce" and "Peg" by Steely Dan. Also, I have never heard an Al Stewart song covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

Yeah, I get that alright. Came up with a setlist of about 55 songs and when I showed it to my friend, he seemed to think that it was a bit TOO obscure. Some 80's, some 90's lots of current (as in the last 8-10 years) stuff. Some charty stuff that I was hoping to translate into guitar music.

Bit confused now, coz I hear that pubs/clubs owners generally won't have you back if you're playing stuff that they don't know .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Urgh.. picking setlist songs.
    Takes forever and you'll never be completely happy with it. Also, you'll want to change it regularly to keep yourself interested.

Personally I try to play songs that people know, but wouldn't hear in every pub they go into. But at the same time, it's handy to have the 'hits' under your belt for requests.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 FrancoThetanko

pajopearl wrote: »
    Yeah, I get that alright. Came up with a setlist of about 55 songs and when I showed it to my friend, he seemed to think that it was a bit TOO obscure. Some 80's, some 90's lots of current (as in the last 8-10 years) stuff. Some charty stuff that I was hoping to translate into guitar music.

Bit confused now, coz I hear that pubs/clubs owners generally won't have you back if you're playing stuff that they don't know .

Maybe if you threw up your setlist here people could tell you what looks like it works and what you need to add?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭dublinrugbyguy

How far along are you in setting up the Band. Were also trying to set a band up from scratch so maybe we could come together. Worth a taught!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

How far along are you in setting up the Band. Were also trying to set a band up from scratch so maybe we could come together. Worth a taught!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very much in the infancy stages. Had a few guitarist interested but when i sent them my "wishlist" of songs, almost 2 weeks ago, haven't heard from them since. So went back to the drawing board and revised it. Showed it to a few people and the reaction to it has been excellent so very happy with it at the moment. Still just me and my kit tho. Where U based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

ive been in a cover band for 5 years, sometimes its great fun, other times its soul destroying. The ideal set, imo, should have a good mix of current songs and classics. Best bit of advice I can give you is select your target audience. Is it going to be be college students (17-25 year olds), or more of an older crowd. Then go and see a few bands that play to your chosen audience, take a note of what they play, and the venues they play.

Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭dublinrugbyguy

Hey there. Im based in Dublin, what do you play yourself

Hey there. Im based in Dublin, what do you play yourself

I'm a drummer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

pajopearl wrote: »
    I dunno if this has been done before and I've had a search but can't find it. I'm trying to figure out everybody's favourite songs to hear from a covers band. When you're in the pub and there's a rockin band playin, what are the best songs that they play and what are the songs that get everybody moving on the dancefloor.

Trying to put a covers band together but need to get moving on it fast so research time is very limited. Any help ye can give is greatly appreciated.

Depends on what sort of band you have, if you have keyboard player, it gives you extra scope for a larger selection of songs. I heard a covers band doing "Mr Bluesky" by ELO a couple of years back, never heard cover band doing that one before, sounded fab cos they had three part harmonies as well...harmonies make a big difference in sound too if practiced and done right. Good luck. B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Always goes down smoothly.

Advertisement