Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing Threads

Options
  • 25-07-2012 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

I've noticed two race threads have been closed in the last month or two (Skerries and Kilkenny) . Fair enough if there is a reason, but not all of us are in the loop when it comes to this, so could you at least put some sort of explanation as to why a race thread is being closed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

There is a ban on discussion of races run by a certain 'race director'.

The idea behind the ban is... if you are not allowed say anything negative about a race without being threatened with 'legal letters' or defamed on his website then you should not be able to say anything positive either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

like i said, if there is a reason fine, but surely the above should be posted as the last message on the closed threads

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

miller82 wrote: »
    like i said, if there is a reason fine, but surely the above should be posted as the last message on the closed threads

Feck all use posting it as the last message on a thread if the next step is to delete the thread :)

Whenever a thread is deleted 9 times out of 10 the mods PM everyone who posted on the thread explaining why the thread was deleted. I think that that is the approach to take as I for one do not want the board littered with all the closed threads - there are alot of races on the no fly list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

tunney wrote: »
    Feck all use posting it as the last message on a thread if the next step is to delete the thread :)

Whenever a thread is deleted 9 times out of 10 the mods PM everyone who posted on the thread explaining why the thread was deleted. I think that that is the approach to take as I for one do not want the board littered with all the closed threads - there are alot of races on the no fly list.

So, how does one find out what is on the "no fly" list?

One for the charter, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Johnny86

Yeah, I created the kilkenny one but had done a search to see if there was a previous thread set up but i got no results. If there was a thread with a list of the 'no fly' ones i wouldnt have created it.

• Advertisement

Izoard wrote: »
    So, how does one find out what is on the "no fly" list?

One for the charter, no?

An enumerated list of races that cannot be discussed and the reason why?

I suspect thats one that would have to go even above the heads of the admins.

Johnny86 wrote: »
    Yeah, I created the kilkenny one but had done a search to see if there was a previous thread set up but i got no results. If there was a thread with a list of the 'no fly' ones i wouldnt have created it.

and hopefully not entered :)

An enumerated list of races that cannot be discussed and the reason why?

I suspect thats one that would have to go even above the heads of the admins.

Well, it seems the list, and the reasons why, is known to an inner circle - would seem reasonable to flag these races up front as not-for-discussion, a la medical advice etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Izoard wrote: »
    Well, it seems the list, and the reasons why, is known to an inner circle - would seem reasonable to flag these races up front as not-for-discussion, a la medical advice etc...

The list, and the reasons why, are known to those who've had some involvement in the issue - and believe me, you don't want to be one of those people.

We're not going to put up a list or explanation (though shotgun can change that if he wants when hell freezes over the new forum goes live).
    I'll send some PMs now...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Tis all very fight clubby..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

My cats breath smells like cat food.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I have the provisional charter for this "forum" done and will post it when hell freezes over as Raycun put it. I toyed with the idea of linking to a list of races within the charter. However that list would change too frequently to manage and it only opens boats to unwelcome speculation. As such a general statement will apply in the charter. I understand its ambiguous to most but due to the nature of the reason to close the threads it must be done. Trust me if one of the mods didn't do it a boards staff member will pop along and do so. Also remember that Mods are volunteers and have also got a charter to follow. If a thread is closed or deleted and you want to know why PM a mod and we will be happy to explain.

A simple way to figure out if the race can be discussed or not - if its on the IT calendar and not on the TI calendar prob best to avoid (discussion and IMHO the race)

A simple way to figure out if the race can be discussed or not - if its on the IT calendar and not on the TI calendar prob best to avoid (discussion and IMHO the race)

Ouch!

There are a stack of very well run events that don't feature on TI for a variety of reasons...a rogue RD or two, can't be extrapolated onto the entire non-TI universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭DaveR1

But Kilkenny is on the TI calander??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Johnny86

DaveR1 wrote: »
    But Kilkenny is on the TI calander??? :confused:

Yep it's on the calender but there isn't a thread about it here...thus it must be "no fly" list and not to be discussed!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Are the WAR series of races excluded?

Oryx wrote: »
    Are the WAR series of races excluded?

They are on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Can somebody PM me the list, or some algorithm I can use to identify such races?

Maybe a brief explanation of what the problems are, are we talking poor organisation, bad draft marshalling, dangerous course, cheap goodie bag?

mloc123 wrote: »
    They are on the list.

Thought so. There is at least one thread here about WAR glenmalure.

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    Thought so. There is at least one thread here about WAR glenmalure.

Report it and see it disappear ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭griffin100

hardCopy wrote: »
    Can somebody PM me the list, or some algorithm I can use to identify such races?

Maybe a brief explanation of what the problems are, are we talking poor organisation, bad draft marshalling, dangerous course, cheap goodie bag?

That's the point, we can't talk about those issues as they'll result in an interesting call from the race director.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

griffin100 wrote: »

That's the point, we can't talk about those issues as they'll result in an interesting call from the race director.

I think I've figured out enough to identify at least some of the races involved, and think I may have done one a couple of weeks ago. But I can't figure out if the problems stem from poor races or an overly litigious RD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

I think I've figured out enough to identify at least some of the races involved, and think I may have done one a couple of weeks ago. But I can't figure out if the problems stem from poor races or an overly litigious RD.

If you were to organize races yourself, and found people discussing your races on an online forum, in a way that you didn't agree with, would you:

A) Respond constructively to the points you disagreed with online, or:

B) Find out where some of those posters worked, and phone up their boss to let them know an employee was posting during 9 to 5 hours, then threaten seven shades of legal sh*t on anyone else posting in the thread; and that's just the beginning.

Hypothetical question. But I know I'd enter your races if you did A), and avoid them like the plague if you did B).

Hypothetically, I know I would avoid such races too if that was the attitude. Even if I'd done them before and thought they were good races.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

is there an actual statisc of accidnets comparasion between TI and non TI santioned races ?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭pc11

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    If you were to organize races yourself, and found people discussing your races on an online forum, in a way that you didn't agree with, would you:

A) Respond constructively to the points you disagreed with online, or:

B) Find out where some of those posters worked, and phone up their boss to let them know an employee was posting during 9 to 5 hours, then threaten seven shades of legal sh*t on anyone else posting in the thread; and that's just the beginning.

Hypothetical question. But I know I'd enter your races if you did A), and avoid them like the plague if you did B).

Sorry, are you saying this B has actually happened or are you using hyperbole to make a point? This whole thread is confusing me with its indirect references and hints.

pc11 wrote: »
    Sorry, are you saying this B has actually happened or are you using hyperbole to make a point? This whole thread is confusing me with its indirect references and hints.

It happened and then some. People nearly lost their jobs.

pc11 wrote: »
    I wish there werent the need for hints and references. But that in itself is the problem. All the answers to whats wrong and why there is a no fly list, is in this thread. But it cannot be put any more directly than this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Folks there are very valid reasons for the no fly zone. Explicit detailing of it puts Boards in a potentially tricky spot. One post on this thread already came close to being snipped. The poster knows exactly why too. I let it go this time. On behalf of the Mods all I can do is apologise for the ambiguity. It just has to be that way for now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement