Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant punctures- help!!!1

Options
  • 23-07-2012 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

Hi all- looking for some advice/help here- got new continental gp4000s tyres around 9 months ago and have always used michelin tubes- have not got a puncture in back wheel in that 9 months up until 2 weeks ago- I have now had 6 spins and 6 punctures- last 2 times I have just gotten clipped in and the back tube has exploded- I have taken the tyre off twice and gone through it thoroughly and cannot find anything in the tyre or any holes- I have also checked the whole rim of the wheel and have found nothing here either- I am flummoxed as to what is wrong, i am racing the Brian Boru tri in 2 weeks time and need to get training on the bike but cannot even get out on it now-- please- anyone any ideas of what elso could be causing it, i'm pumping the wheel to 120psi- what i always cycle at- any advice or suggestions would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Trig1 wrote: »
    Hi all- looking for some advice/help here- got new continental gp4000s tyres around 9 months ago and have always used michelin tubes- have not got a puncture in back wheel in that 9 months up until 2 weeks ago- I have now had 6 spins and 6 punctures- last 2 times I have just gotten clipped in and the back tube has exploded- I have taken the tyre off twice and gone through it thoroughly and cannot find anything in the tyre or any holes- I have also checked the whole rim of the wheel and have found nothing here either- I am flummoxed as to what is wrong, i am racing the Brian Boru tri in 2 weeks time and need to get training on the bike but cannot even get out on it now-- please- anyone any ideas of what elso could be causing it, i'm pumping the wheel to 120psi- what i always cycle at- any advice or suggestions would be great

Have u rim tape around the inside of the wheel that covers the spoke holes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Assume we are talking Clinchers here?

If so then I'd:

- take off tyre and remove tube. Run fingers and eyes around the whole wheel inside and out and remove any grit or investigate for any issue.
    - check tyre for any holes/defects on sidewalls or anywhere
    - check to ensure nothing is rubbing off the wheel when spinning - such as front derailler cable, brakes etc.
    - Stop inflating to 120 psi. Recommended is 90-110 I think - yes tyre's state max of 120psi but that's the max. Perhaps not needed in your case.
    I go with 110 psi religiously. Heck even my Tubulars are lucky to see past 120psi at best and they can cope with 160psi apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Have u rim tape around the inside of the wheel that covers the spoke holes?

yes i have bontrager rim tape and its a bontrager wheel- rim tape all looks fine and as i said- hasnt punctured in nearly 9months?? but I'm gonna replace rim tape tmrw and see does that make difference

Fazz wrote: »

If so then I'd:

- take off tyre and remove tube. Run fingers and eyes around the whole wheel inside and out and remove any grit or investigate for any issue.done
    - check tyre for any holes/defects on sidewalls or anywhere done
    - check to ensure nothing is rubbing off the wheel when spinning - such as front derailler cable, brakes etc. done
    - Stop inflating to 120 psi. Recommended is 90-110 I think - yes tyre's state max of 120psi but that's the max. Perhaps not needed in your case.
    I go with 110 psi religiously.will do
    Heck even my Tubulars are lucky to see past 120psi at best and they can cope with 160psi apparently.

done most- will go to 110psi instead but that cannot be prob as Have cycled at 120psi for last 9months

• Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭Bambaata

are you identifying where exactly the puncture is happening on the tube and marrying that up to the exact point on the tyre or wheel? I always locate what caused it by just doing that

• Advertisement

Bambaata wrote: »
    are you identifying where exactly the puncture is happening on the tube and marrying that up to the exact point on the tyre or wheel? I always locate what caused it by just doing that
    thats the one thing I didnt do yesterday but will do today, hopefully I find something then, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

How many kms on the tyres?

Someone gave the advice over on Cycling forum once- if you can't identify the problem, 99% of the time a new tyre will sort everything out.

I always change mine once I start getting a run of punctures, unless there's a really obvious cause like glass or something. You've got plenty of time to have a new one broken in for the tri.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Trig1 wrote: »

There was a lad in my old club, total fvcking c0ck but he has some sound advice. One of his pieces of advice was that once a tyre gets two punctures bin it as its past the end of its life. I think he is right.

Change the tyre - if its had alot of use its gone in 9 months I suspect.

Monkey Jizz in your tubes is also great.*

*Monkey Jizz == Stans No More Tubes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Fazz wrote: »

If so then I'd:

- take off tyre and remove tube. Run fingers and eyes around the whole wheel inside and out and remove any grit or investigate for any issue.
    - check tyre for any holes/defects on sidewalls or anywhere
    - check to ensure nothing is rubbing off the wheel when spinning - such as front derailler cable, brakes etc.
    I go with 110 psi religiously. Heck even my Tubulars are lucky to see past 120psi at best and they can cope with 160psi apparently.

Ah I know "someone" who rode their tubs at 220psi on bad Limerick roads in a race. Never made that mistake again.

Advertisement