Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why the S/B/R distance ratio in Triathlons?

Options
  • 22-07-2012 10:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭

I understand that IM distance was dictated by historical Hawaii races, and I presume that Sprint/Oly/etc. distance ratios have been loosely based on that ratio, but is there any other reason for the ratio of distances in events? From my layman's understanding, any Tri will favour a better biker, then a better runner, leaving any fish struggling to maintain their advantage.

Are there any Tri distance events which offer a more balanced ratio between the events? (By which I mean, some sort of equality between the disciplines, so that a better biker doesn't have such an advantage over a better swimmer).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭longshank

Ye tristar races !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

longshank wrote: »
    Ye tristar races !!!!

No point being a champion of they cancel the prize purse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Ye tristar races !!!!

Those tristar are the 111 and 222, right? They're even worse, just suiting the distances to snappy numbers.

Maybe I'm missing something, but for a sport that is so wrapped up in science, and is about competition across three disciplines, I'm surprised if there isn't a more balancing arbiter for ratio effort expended, than just history.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

tri itu long course
    4 120 30 prob the fairest long distance you will find
    or draft legal racing....
    as for oly distance
    1500 is the classic pool swim.
    40 the classic tt distance
    and 10 k the classic distance on the track .....

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭pc11

I've thought about organising a balanced race, something like 3k - 40k - 12k would be a lot closer to that. I agree it's a little odd that it's so biased to biking.

• Advertisement

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Those tristar are the 111 and 222, right? They're even worse, just suiting the distances to snappy numbers.

Maybe I'm missing something, but for a sport that is so wrapped up in science, and is about competition across three disciplines, I'm surprised if there isn't a more balancing arbiter for ratio effort expended, than just history.

As swimming is the event that scares most people away from triathlon and has the biggest safety concerns it probably explains why race organisers keep swim shortish (also it comes first so will always seem easier). Distances are probably more related to classic distances for the individual events and the fact that cycling tends to have longer/harder races means it looks biased when compared directly to other disciplines, that said in an Ironman few would say the marathon is easier than the swim or cycle!!

Kurt Godel wrote: »

As swimming is the event that scares most people away from triathlon and has the biggest safety concerns it probably explains why race organisers keep swim shortish (also it comes first so will always seem easier). Distances are probably more related to classic distances for the individual events and the fact that cycling tends to have longer/harder races means it looks biased when compared directly to other disciplines, that said in an Ironman few would say the marathon is easier than the swim or cycle!!

Just looked up Tristar distances, they are insane!

pc11 wrote: »
    Just looked up Tristar distances, they are insane!

but have you seen a swim tucks or run shoe beauty thread ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭redzerredzer

sorry, new guy here.
    Are tri cycles and runs generally over a flat course?
    40 and 10 flat versus 40 and 10 with crazy climbs is obviously very different.
    Or does it depend on each race?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

sorry, new guy here.
    Are tri cycles and runs generally over a flat course?
    40 and 10 flat versus 40 and 10 with crazy climbs is obviously very different.
    Or does it depend on each race?
    Thanks

Depends on each race. Athy/Athlone vs Beast of the East is no comparison. The first two are reasonably flat, Beast of the East is a hilly piece of work.

• Advertisement

peter kern wrote: »
    but have you seen a swim tucks or run shoe beauty thread ;-)

Sorry Peter, but I don't understand?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056582574

thats what triathlon is about for many people and tri star captures that ...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

He means that you will never see a thread called "images of beauty" that contains photos of runners or swimming togs.

People love the bike and get obsessed over the bike. TriStay appeals to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Speaking of odd distances, Abu Dhabi Long Distance is very popular with the pros - generally the deepest field outside of Kona.

While the $$$ is a big attraction, the 3k swim/200k bike/20km run seems to suit the early season state of readiness.

Also, the "industry" put a lot of effort in promoting the uber-bikers - Chris Lieto seems to have made a career of setting the fastest bike split in Kona, before disappearing on the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

tunney wrote: »
    He means that you will never see a thread called "images of beauty" that contains photos of runners or swimming togs.

Some of the old style Speedo-and-crop-top combos might be worthy of a thread...

Izoard wrote: »
    Speaking of odd distances, Abu Dhabi Long Distance is very popular with the pros - generally the deepest field outside of Kona.

While the $$$ is a big attraction, the 3k swim/200k bike/20km run seems to suit the early season state of readiness.

Also, the "industry" put a lot of effort in promoting the uber-bikers - Chris Lieto seems to have made a career of setting the fastest bike split in Kona, before disappearing on the run.

Philip Graves seems to making a career in Europe doing the same thing as Lieto.
    I'd say my own spending ratio on the disciplines is about 1/500/10 so I can see where the commercial side comes in!!!

Advertisement