Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheelin myth or joke?

Options
  • 21-07-2012 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

Hi im curious to know and perhaps someone here might know a little more ,is Sheelin a wild fishery or a well stocked lake with the pick of the bigger fish .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

Basically it is a wild brown trout fishery though it has been stocked with large numbers of neutered (there is a more technical name) trout.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭madred006

then really its not a wild fishery :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

jkchambers wrote: »
    Basically it is a wild brown trout fishery though it has been stocked with large numbers of neutered (there is a more technical name) trout.

Neutered Trout? That a new one. Any relation to Triploids? The best of feeding for Pike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Might sound wrong to post this but, The Sheelin myth is that it takes a life every 7 years

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

Bizzum wrote: »
    Neutered Trout? That a new one. Any relation to Triploids? The best of feeding for Pike.
    Triploids, thats them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

madred006 wrote: »
    Hi im curious to know and perhaps someone here might know a little more ,is Sheelin a wild fishery or a well stocked lake with the pick of the bigger fish .

it is a wild fishery but also contains some stocked trout.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭deeperblue11

sheelin is a wild trout fishery. its a fishery because there is a hatchery there. a couple of times a year it is stocked with brown trout. they are not neutered, triploid fish. they are fully capable of breathing if they live long enough.
    as the last guy said the sheelin myth is that it takes a life every seven years or two on the eight or three on the ninth...
    apparently there is a ghost of a woman between the water and the foam!!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

sheelin is a wild trout fishery. its a fishery because there is a hatchery there. a couple of times a year it is stocked with brown trout. they are not neutered, triploid fish. they are fully capable of breathing if they live long enough.
    as the last guy said the sheelin myth is that it takes a life every seven years or two on the eight or three on the ninth...
    apparently there is a ghost of a woman between the water and the foam!!

Heard something about that myth a good few years back, wonder is there any truth in it.
    Anyway I believe the last time the ghost was seen was in or around the late 1960s.

!!!!!!!! i didnt hear anything about the ghost been seen?!!!! was she supposed to have been seen on the lake?? my granny used to tell me the story. its long. but in brief there were 3 women ghosts extradited or banished out of an old house not far from where i live. one resides in an old oak tree in the bog, one in a well behind the house and the other on lough sheelin!!! apparently the ghost in the well wont bother any one if the well is not covered over, my self and a friend of mine were out shooting one day a few years back and went into the yard where the well is for a look and sure enough it wasnt covered. there is no wall around it so if it was dark one could easily walk over it and have a nasty fall but more surprising was the fact that the yard was full of cattle!! someone has the land rented and must have heard the story and left the well uncovered!! strange!!!

Might sound wrong to post this but, The Sheelin myth is that it takes a life every 7 years

thats it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

I can think of two men that have died on the lake in the last 20 years, I also have a memory of another man that committed suicide on the lake but not sure when that happened

Advertisement