Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wheels wind tunnel testing and its limitations

Options
  • 21-07-2012 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭

http://www.acusim.com/papers/AIAA10_2010-1431_MNGodo.pdf

not a bad paper me thinks and it showes in a way how far we are to understand many issues.
    could the conclusion be wind tunnel testing and cycling in real life is about as accurate to compare pool swimming times to predict open water performace?

( in my case 3 weeks ago I did a 100m tt in the pool (50m) flat out in 1,23
    and swam twice pretty much flat 10 min mark for 750 meter in open water races, the numbers dont really stag up ( only when i lose the draft of people do they)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

There are limitations to any form of testing and the real life use and feedback leads to changes and improvements in products.

Science is always tinkering with things to make them better and faster ....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

yes agree but we are still at an stage where we really only know that there is a lot we dodnt know ;-)
    and i think we often take too many conclusions from things we dont really understand yet .

ps you read quite fast ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

peter kern wrote: »
    ps you read quite fast ;-)

Doesn't mean I understand it all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

peter kern wrote: »
    http://www.acusim.com/papers/AIAA10_2010-1431_MNGodo.pdf

not a bad paper me thinks and it showes in a way how far we are to understand many issues.
    could the conclusion be wind tunnel testing and cycling in real life is about as accurate to compare pool swimming times to predict open water performace?

( in my case 3 weeks ago I did a 100m tt in the pool (50m) flat out in 1,23
    and swam twice pretty much flat 10 min mark for 750 meter in open water races, the numbers dont really stag up ( only when i lose the draft of people do they)

Occam's razor. The swim was short.

Advertisement