Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dublin City

Options
  • 20-07-2012 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭

Hi there guys and gals. I am pretty new to the triathlon experience. SO new I have only completed one sprint. I would say I am quite fit and completed it in 1:30. My aim was to just get by it without crying at the end.

I set myself the goal of the dublin city olympic in the park and I do plan to stick by it. My query is simple. I have been told by a friend that I am mad thinking I can do this race. He recons I will be the only one completing this around the 3 hour mark. I just want to find out do you think I am out of my league and regarding the number of people doing the olympic am I in a minority when I say I will be happy around the 3 hour mark.

My goal was to just do it comfortably which I feel confident about but doubt is creeping in after he went off on one on me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated aswel the answers to the above :D

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Diesel

Tri-Athlone (also a river swim), over 500 people done the Olympic/standard distance.
    Of that, 120 people finished over 2.30hrs.
    Of that, a dozen or so were close to or over 3hrs.

If you can do the distances, go for it. Think only about completing, next year competing.

Diesel
    (PS - I don't 'do' triathlons myself - but have a very healthy respect for them.)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Last year over a hundred people finished in 3 hours or over. Does your friend do triathlons? Sounds like he's just trying to discourage you. Go do it in 2:45. That'll show him.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You won't be last. Hardly anyone ever is. ;)

Your time will be fine, and tbh, you'll probably go better than you expect. See you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

I'll be there to keep you company at the 3.00hr finish. First timer too & I'm hoping for a 2.45 - I'd settle for 3.00.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I was over 3 hours last year after doing my first sprint in just under 1:30. I wasn't last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭battser

Aww that's great cheers guys I feel much better now. :D

How'd ye get on then ??

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭battser

Really enjoyed it. My prep wasn't as good as I had hoped leading up to it but I got through it anyway in 3:15 so I was fairly delighted. How did you get on?

Well done. What more can be said - You enjoyed it and finished it - As for your friend saying you're Mad.....'fraid he's right - but thats triathletes in general !! Now to get him into it ...?

As for how I got on ? err...I never entered. (or any tri for that matter)

Advertisement