Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General TV/Movie/VideoGame Thread-Use Spoiler Tags for Spoilers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

cena wrote: »
    In liverpool one in the odeon

If you can, book it soon and get the premium seats. They are literally the best seats in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Saw it. Liked it. Though couple parts I was questioning. Miranda Tate was with Gordon and co when they were caught and when Batman meets Gordon on the ice, he asks where she is. But between the capture and the walking on ice, Bruce met her when getting Lucius so he knew where she was. Bad editing? Same as when the bomb truck was being chased. One second she's driving, the next she's a passenger then back driving again.

And the reason Bane was willing to help her was because, he was her protector in the prison and she got him out, so they had a bond.

Biggest shock of the movie: Jamie Reagan left New York!:D (I'm sure someone gets the reference)

As for a Justice League, if they want Superman and Batman onscreen together, they should just do World's Finest, otherwise it'll take too long. Maybe bring in Wonder Woman for the Trinity. Bet they're kicking themselves now for preventing Whedon from doing the Wonder Woman movie.
    But I think Warners should give up on the idea of a Justice League movie and concentrate on what they do best with superheroes and that's the animated series. Get one big universe and get back to the days of Batman/Superman/JLU

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Saw it. Liked it. Though couple parts I was questioning. Miranda Tate was with Gordon and co when they were caught and when Batman meets Gordon on the ice, he asks where she is. But between the capture and the walking on ice, Bruce met her when getting Lucius so he knew where she was. Bad editing? Same as when the bomb truck was being chased. One second she's driving, the next she's a passenger then back driving again.

And the reason Bane was willing to help her was because, he was her protector in the prison and she got him out, so they had a bond.

Biggest shock of the movie: Jamie Reagan left New York!:D (I'm sure someone gets the reference)

As for a Justice League, if they want Superman and Batman onscreen together, they should just do World's Finest, otherwise it'll take too long. Maybe bring in Wonder Woman for the Trinity. Bet they're kicking themselves now for preventing Whedon from doing the Wonder Woman movie.
    But I think Warners should give up on the idea of a Justice League movie and concentrate on what they do best with superheroes and that's the animated series. Get one big universe and get back to the days of Batman/Superman/JLU

Copped the exact same things. So little motivation for the characters. I would've cut out catwoman and Levitt altogether. And the whole bomb element annoyed me. From the exact timing of the meltdown and the whole bomb exploding oversea. I would've assumed thered be fallout. Still a great watch but in the vain of the avengers movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Yeah, same here in relation to the bomb. I just thought that whole disposal of it and sudden rush at the end was very reminiscent of The Avengers. I guess there's only so many ways they can magic away something like that though! But Catwoman was a bit too much of a babyface, so to speak for my liking also. I mean, I prefer her as a bad oul bitch!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

Got to see it last night. I read through this thread and found a lot of things asked here are actually answered in the film, I advise going back and watching it again...

Apart from Anne Hathaway, I thought it was awesome. Plenty of stand out moments. I always thought Bane was a secondary character but my god, it was very well done and he was genuinely awesome.

Didnt like the Bat-thing. Thought that could have looked much better.

But overall, very entertaining, and really enjoyed it. Hoping to see it again soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭cocalolaman

Brillaint film, but I'm not sure if it was better than the dark night. It was lacking something. Ledger as Joker was such a convincing villain. Tom Hardy was brilliant as Bane but I never really thought he was mentally as mad as The Joker. For example this scene (at 3:50) where Joker's getting the shít kicked out of him and he's just laughing. That's when I was thinking "This guy is truly mental." I didn't really feel like that for Bane throughout the film. Also his voice was a bit hard to understand at times. But when I did understand him he sounded like some mad scientist which was cool. Also Bane's death was a bit anticlimactic. I think Batman begins was the weakest of all of them though.

Still well worth the money for the ticket.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Seriously didn't go into it wanting to pick holes or be a dry ****e.

Thought it was decent enough but didn't live up to the hype. Can't complain about the acting but there were too many characters I didn't care about, weird editing and too much not explained/acknowledged. Not to mention people cheering a NUCLEAR BOMB exploding in front of them WTF? Wasn't done it a big and dumb way either just the film was just a wee bit ****. Seemed very phoned in by Nolan with very little detail work done.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

went to see it tonight, you could fly a 747 through the plotholes, not a patch on the last film

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

rovert wrote: »
    Seriously didn't go into it wanting to pick holes or be a dry ****e.

Thought it was decent enough but didn't live up to the hype. Can't complain about the acting but there were too many characters I didn't care about, weird editing and too much not explained/acknowledged. Not to mention people cheering a NUCLEAR BOMB exploding in front of them WTF? Wasn't done it a big and dumb way either just the film was just a wee bit ****. Seemed very phoned in by Nolan with very little detail work done.
    Did you even pay attention to the story?

The film is a modern classic, but not the master piece that TDK was. And it did live up to the hype, and then some.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    went to see it tonight, you could fly a 747 through the plotholes, not a patch on the last film
    What plot holes exactly? Im interested to hear what plot holes there were, as I didnt notice anything major, but in saying that, I didnt over think the film.

• Advertisement

Tinie wrote: »
    Did you even pay attention to the story?

What am I missing beside it being a Neuton Bomb if you want to be technical?

Explain to me how Batman got back on the island while you are at it? :D

The film is a modern classic, but not the master piece that TDK was. And it did live up to the hype, and then some.

Totally disagree obviously. *** film.

I didnt over think the film.

Neither did I but there was so much that wasn't explained that I couldn't immerse myself and go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

After the bomb went off?

Wayne said he fixed the autopilot in the bat. Pretty simple to work out what happened there. :D

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    After the bomb went off?

No when he was in the prison pit.

What am I missing beside it being a Neuton Bomb if you want to be technical?

They said he fixed the autopilot during the closing montage, which means that batman had ejected from the aircraft a long time before the plane went out over the sea. Its not rocket science.

Totally disagree obviously. *** film.
    Are you saying its a 3 star film, or a shít film thats blocked out?

Neither did I but there was so much that wasn't explained that I couldn't immerse myself and go with it.
    Do you need everything to be explained though? Its a pretty straight forward film tbh :confused:

I'm glad Nolan doesn't treat the viewers like idiots and has to explain every twist and act to the audience.

No when he was in the prison pit.
    Hes the mother fúckin batman, thats why. :cool:

Im sure if you go to IMDb, some guy has put up a detailed explanation as to how he got back, but I couldn't care less about it, as its irrelevant to the story.

They said he fixed the autopilot during the closing montage, which means that batman had ejected from the aircraft a long time before the plane went out over the sea. Its not rocket science..

What wasn't what I was talking about hence a new paragraph. See my previous post.
    Are you saying its a 3 star film, or a shít film thats blocked out?.

It was a cliched action film nothing truly special. Doesn't fit well with the franchise the previous two were a lot more realistic and grounded.
    lad Nolan doesn't treat the viewers like idiots and has to explain every twist and act to the audience.

That talking point is applicable to Inception but not this film. Some of the issues with this film can't be resolved by the viewer at all.
    Hes the mother fúckin batman, thats why. :cool:

Techinally he was Bruce Wayne as he was stripped of his gadgets.
    Im sure if you go to IMDb, some guy has put up a detailed explanation as to how he got back, but I couldn't care less about it, as its irrelevant to the story.

Sorry but it is. It is a big enough question that it needed an explanation no interest in an IMDb page or reading a graphic novel to see IF they is an answer. Just lazy storytelling/detail work. WWE level writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

What plot holes exactly? Im interested to hear what plot holes there were, as I didnt notice anything major, but in saying that, I didnt over think the film.

ok let me see, police buried for 3 months and yet when they arrive back on top not one of them has long hair or a stubble

wayne entrusts his entire company to a woman he barely knows, we know nobody has spoken to wayne for 8 years and we were never introduced to her during the first two movies so she can't have been that important to him

wayne walks with a limp at start of movie, we see him putting on what looks like a knee brace to fix limp, after bane beats him up and throws him in prison no limp, so i guess bane was nice enough to let him keep the special knee brace

how did wayne get back into gotham?? the bridges were all down and all other access in or out was guarded so no-one comes in or out and yet bruce no money, no batsuit, no nothing waltzes back into gotham

rossie1977 wrote: »
    wayne entrusts his entire company to a woman he barely knows, we know nobody has spoken to wayne for 8 years and we were never introduced to her during the first two movies so she can't have been that important to him

Wasnt she meant to be someone who he had done a lot of business with? Some energy company or something? Knowing her personally might not matter in business. But he made sure he got to know her personally... If ya know what i mean? :p
    wayne walks with a limp at start of movie, we see him putting on what looks like a knee brace to fix limp, after bane beats him up and throws him in prison no limp, so i guess bane was nice enough to let him keep the special knee brace

You just gave me a mental image of Bane undressing bruce and seeing the brace and going "now now... cant be having that"
    (I think i need sleep)
    how did wayne get back into gotham?? the bridges were all down and all other access in or out was guarded so no-one comes in or out and yet bruce no money, no batsuit, no nothing waltzes back into gotham

What about his old spot? Down near the river docks that you get to through the container lift thing. The place with floor and ceiling light tiles. I'm sure that place should have some emergency exit/entrance.

This thread is always good for a laugh when I come on here. I'm sure the fact that he was trained by Liam Neeson and the boys and he's got genius intelligence meant that he was able to figure out some sort of route back into Gotham City without being killed. The fact of the matter for me, personally, is that, with everything combined in this movie, for those few hours, my disbelief almost ceased to exist. Like a really good wrestling match. It was sheer escapism for me, and I can't fault it for that. I don't care about the smaller details much.

This thread is always good for a laugh when I come on here. I'm sure the fact that he was trained by Liam Neeson and the boys and he's got genius intelligence meant that he was able to figure out some sort of route back into Gotham City without being killed. The fact of the matter for me, personally, is that, with everything combined in this movie, for those few hours, my disbelief almost ceased to exist. Like a really good wrestling match. It was sheer escapism for me, and I can't fault it for that. I don't care about the smaller details much.

These aren't smaller details. I didn't go in making notes I was looking for escapism too. The city was under seige and under threat from a Neutron Bomb. How Bruce Wayne as Bruce Wayne does require an answer.

This film had way too many issues.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

A small point, but didn't Bane say his mask holds his face together and delivers painkillers to him? He'd be off his face the entire time then. Also if his mask itself actually held his face together he'd be getting constant serious infections. His skin/fascia etc would need to be cleanly healed together and forming a barrier. Well it's no more stupidly offensive as punching a guy's vertebrae back into place.

Thinking on it, a neutron bomb destroying Gotham is too big a threat for it to be believable that it might happen. Unlike, say, a ship with a few hundred citizens or prisoners; which you could conceive them killing off. So although bigger in scope, it fell much flatter. I suppose poisoning the whole city with a hallucinogen from the water pipes is just as big. Yes? No?

jaykhunter wrote: »
    A small point, but didn't Bane say his mask holds his face together and delivers painkillers to him? He'd be off his face the entire time then. Also if his mask itself actually held his face together he'd be getting constant serious infections. His skin/fascia etc would need to be cleanly healed together and forming a barrier. Well it's no more stupidly offensive as punching a guy's vertebrae back into place.

Not sure about that one, Jay. I think the mask just delivers him small amounts of morphine to help dull the pain of all his injuries. And if it causes him to be off his face that could tie in well with his character in ways. Not like the joker off his face but more one of those lads who you see on nights out that you know is after taking a few hits who is also drunk and got a can of red bull in hand.
    Thinking on it, a neutron bomb destroying Gotham is too big a threat for it to be believable that it might happen. Unlike, say, a ship with a few hundred citizens or prisoners; which you could conceive them killing off. So although bigger in scope, it fell much flatter. I suppose poisoning the whole city with a hallucinogen from the water pipes is just as big. Yes? No?

Yeah I thought that. But I didn't mind.
    I suppose like Stereomaniac said, this movie was like a great wrestling match and I would compare the bomb destroying the city akin to a match such as Undertakers WM matches.
    You know he's going to win, but how exactly is he?
    The constant back and forth of them having a plan to stop it and it and then that going tits up is classic near fall territory.
    But, i'm glad that the bomb going off did destroy something other than what we expected it to in Batman himself.

Something else i was thinking about last night that actually ties in nicely to that idea of the bomb 'killing' batman;
    In the last movie he was nearly obsessed in stepping down and handing over the reigns for the hero of gotham to Dent so he could spend some quality time with his squeeze. But then what happened, happened.
    I think Batman was simply more than happy for him to ride off into the sunset and have everybody believe he had died because he knew that Blake/Robin could be Gotham's new hero.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Typing this up before reading back over the previous few pages. These are my thoughts untainted by others opinions or reviews :P

I enjoyed it, but compared to The Avengers, I didn't love it. There were a lot of minor little problems for me; I knew enough about Raj (sp?) to know Bane wasn't his kid and thus was able to quickly piece together Talia. Even still, I had a feeling the woman was bad since she came out of nowhere and yet was given total trust by Bruce. I also felt Bane kind of fizzled out; he was a tank and a monster for ages and then he just becomes a lacky and gets blown up by Catwoman. Just felt that was really anticlimatic. The pacing was weird too, jumping eight years, then 5 months, then slowing ten minutes down to a half hour. There wasn't much time to slow down and digest what was happening. And don't get me started on Blake's line of logic to discovering Batman's identity. "I saw you smiling once but I knew it was a fake smile, ergo you're Batman. Nyah!". I also felt Catwoman was woefully miscast. I love Anne Hathaway, but she's too....gentle...to be Catwoman. There was a lot of predictable moments ("Hey, here's this huge doomsday weapon I built, but don't tell anyone! Hey, the autopilot is broken! oh hohoho!" "Just for safety, I hoarded all the most dangerous weapons we have into one place! That won't backfire at all!" ). There's foreshadowing, and then there's neon signs pointing out something is going to be relevant later in the film. And there were a few dialogue plotholes which were annoying ("I didn't see light till I was a man!"; cut to prison which has a giant hole in the ceiling...) but they aren't film ruining.

Thats the bad. Now for the good. The first two acts were brilliant, even if the film did fizzle out later on. Blake was a very good character who was well portrayed. Bane was a really good foil for Batman and even if he was inevitably beaten too easily, I enjoyed how he pretty much dominated Batman both physically and mentally. Bale and Cane are great in their roles, I loved Cillian Murphy's cameo, OWEN FROM TORCHWOOD! and some amazing action set pieces.

So basically, well directed, well acted (despite a miscast) let down by a story which went a cliched route and just faded away.

Gonna read back over the topic now and see what others are saying :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Way too soon to be talking about a reboot imo but whomever takes on the job of the Batman reboot/sequels (continuation after TDKR), they have tough boots to fill, Nolan's Batman trilogy is a masterpiece

I would love to see Nolan in about 8 or 10 years time maybe came back with a second trilogy

There is talk/rumours of Catwoman spin off with Hathaway

They should do Nightwing with the Blake/Robin character. Perfect setup for it.

Although it's left totally open for Batman's return ad he gifted Commissioner Gordan a new Batlight

• Registered Users Posts: 84,835 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I also felt Catwoman was woefully miscast. I love Anne Hathaway, but she's too....gentle...to be Catwoman.

I was very sceptical about Hathaway's casting as Catwoman beforehand but as Nolan's Catwoman I think she did very well and out of the trilogy as a whole she was best as Batman/Bruce's love interest at least her and Bale had chemistry imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Foggy.nelson

OU812 wrote: »
    JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Way too soon to be talking about a reboot imo but whomever takes on the job of the Batman reboot/sequels (continuation after TDKR), they have tough boots to fill, Nolan's Batman trilogy is a masterpiece

I would love to see Nolan in about 8 or 10 years time maybe came back with a second trilogy

There is talk/rumours of Catwoman spin off with Hathaway

They should do Nightwing with the Blake/Robin character. Perfect setup for it.

Although it's left totally open for Batman's return ad he gifted Commissioner Gordan a new Batlight

But John Blake isn't robin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

But John Blake isn't robin

His "real" name is Robin

These aren't smaller details. I didn't go in making notes I was looking for escapism too. The city was under seige and under threat from a Neutron Bomb. How Bruce Wayne as Bruce Wayne does require an answer.

This film had way too many issues.
    It's just a movie, man. If you didn't like it, don't dwell on it, it's not worth it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

It's just a movie, man. If you didn't like it, don't dwell on it, it's not worth it.

With such big films, I find if you can talk out your problems with the movie, it makes you feel better about the film and ultimately enjoy it more. I was sadly disappointed by the movie also but the discussion has me raring to see it a 2nd time.

• Advertisement

OU812 wrote: »
    His "real" name is Robin

No, his real name is Joseph Gordon Levitt.

:P

Advertisement