Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamburg Strategy

Options
  • 19-07-2012 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

Dont really get why Noble and Morrison are racing in Hamburg this weekend while the olympics are only 2 weeks away. Whats the strategy u think? Quick splash?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Dont really get why Noble and Morrison are racing in Hamburg this weekend while the olympics are only 2 weeks away. Whats the strategy u think? Quick splash?

They will have recovered by Monday from the race. Getting sharp and prepped perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

i dont really get whats your issue
    do you have a better idea to prepare for a race that involes fighting in the water ...
    hamburg is a good london simulation course.
    and its a place aileen has good memories from getting her first World series podium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

peter kern wrote: »
    i dont really get whats your issue
    do you have a better idea to prepare for a race that involes fighting in the water ...
    hamburg is a good london simulation course.
    and its a place aileen has good memories from getting her first World series podium.

Who said i have an issue?

Can understand why they would go along. aileen to get her confidence back in the water after a poor swim by her standards in kitzbuhel.
    Gavin to get some race fitness as he has had injury issues. I did read on gavin s blog before that he needs at least 2 weeks between races to recover and race well.
    Personally i think its a big risk to take on Aileens behalf. Her race fitness is there. thats why i would not be surprised for her not to finish the race and just to use is as a good training day. I could be wrong..

Going off topic now on another observation. Obviously everyone knows how important it is to make that first bike pack. However if that bike pack is 20 strong coming into t2 how important is it to be at the front of the pack? Brownlees seem to come in always at the front of the bike pack, get out first...therefore not getting caught up in the traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Id say Aileens only objective in this race is to swim with the lead pack. She might then hang with the lead bike pack but id guess she wont drill the run and will almost use it as the cool down after the other two. Maybe if swim doesnt go well she'll try bridge and then coast the run

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

It's only a sprint. Gavin surely doesn't need two weeks to recover from a sprint, and Aileen aint going to be taxed too much by it either. I would question the logic of an Olympic distance race two weeks out, but I can completely see the benefits of a sharpening up this close to the big one.

• Advertisement

It's only a sprint. Gavin surely doesn't need two weeks to recover from a sprint, and Aileen aint going to be taxed too much by it either. I would question the logic of an Olympic distance race two weeks out, but I can completely see the benefits of a sharpening up this close to the big one.

Thought it was an olympic. makes more sense if sprint

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Thought it was an olympic. makes more sense if sprint

Second Paragraph, first line.... http://www.triathlonireland.com/index.php?id=107&nid=888

you said you dont get it ....
    the thing is her coach has done a fantstic job over the last four years, selected races very smartly to her ability, they work very well as a team.
    so just trust them ...
    and if you did not even know it was a sprint .......

they will now what they want to get out of this and it could be anythin from hard swim and going for the win.
    ( i hope she dosnt win as this would put to much pressure on her for london)

you said you dont get it ....
    the thing is her coach has done a fantstic job over the last four years, selected races very smartly to her ability, they work very well as a team.
    so just trust them ...
    and if you did not even know it was a sprint .......

they will now what they want to get out of this and it could be anythin from hard swim and going for the win.
    ( i hope she dosnt win as this would put to much pressure on her for london)

Agreed. the coach has done a fantastic job over the last 4 years so will have to trust him on this one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

As BTH say's, it is only a sprint and imo an ideal prep opportunity two weeks out. I can see Aileen going all out to made the lead pack in the swim, coast in the pack then and I'd actually think she will not hold back for the 5k.

Getting close now to the big day(s) #excited :cool:

• Advertisement

As BTH say's, it is only a sprint and imo an ideal prep opportunity two weeks out. I can see Aileen going all out to made the lead pack in the swim, coast in the pack then and I'd actually think she will not hold back for the 5k.

Getting close now to the big day(s) #excited :cool:
    When a gun backfires

if it makes you happy
    nicola spirig won ironman 70.3 antwerp today ........

if it makes you happy
    nicola spirig won ironman 70.3 antwerp today ........

Why wud that make me happy ? :confused:

you are of the opinon a oly distance race is not good and where happier when you learned it was a sprint.
    so i guess you are close to an heart attack if a medal contendor does a half ironman ;-)

anyway sutto has a very strong believe that the half is a great distance for everybody for oly it gives stamina for ironman speed.

and one would guess stto knows quite well that she will have to role up the field in london and the only person likely to help her is nordan.

btw i counted roughly 50 olympians racing this weekend.
    and many will race the french grand prix next week .
    and iam sure i have missed some as i would expect people to race 2 weeks before the olympics.

you are of the opinon a oly distance race is not good and where happier when you learned it was a sprint.
    so i guess you are close to an heart attack if a medal contendor does a half ironman ;-)

anyway sutto has a very strong believe that the half is a great distance for everybody for oly it gives stamina for ironman speed.

and one would guess stto knows quite well that she will have to role up the field in london and the only person likely to help her is nordan.

Am out of loop here...is spirig a sutto disciple ? ..very impressive performance. So is it going to be a sutto v coach daz showdown in London.

you forget jenkins and the australiens riveros.
    i think spirig is with sutton for the last 5 years could be longer this is just how far i can think back.
    its quite impressive if you think that spirig ( a very decent person i have to say) finished a law degree and can practise now while being one of the top ten oly triathletes and the worlds best female half ironman.

you forget jenkins and the australiens riveros.
    i think spirig is with sutton for the last 5 years could be longer this is just how far i can think back.
    its quite impressive if you think that spirig ( a very decent person i have to say) finished a law degree and can practise now while being one of the top ten oly triathletes and the worlds best female half ironman.

Very impressive. Steffen is with Sutton too and she was bloody impressive in Frankfurt. Another machine. Looking forward to seeing how well she does in Kona.
    The womens race in the olympics this time around is going to be awesome. 4 yrs ago snowsill and fenandes stood out from the crowd
    This time around u have.......spirig...densham..jackson...norden..roberts..jenkins....findlay..haug..morrison..moffatt..am sure am missing a few too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Spirig is looking very strong. Hard to know though as Jenkins seems to be taking the opposite approach to her in keeping quiet. I think Spirig is mentally very strong too and that seems something Sutton really hammers into his athletes, she wont be afraid of anyone and will fancy her chances if she's in a leading pack off the bike.

Bambaata wrote: »
    Spirig is looking very strong. Hard to know though as Jenkins seems to be taking the opposite approach to her in keeping quiet. I think Spirig is mentally very strong too and that seems something Sutton really hammers into his athletes, she wont be afraid of anyone and will fancy her chances if she's in a leading pack off the bike.

jenkins is mentaly very strong too and her husband and coach, has quite a sutton character too and would abuse athletes verbaly in racing that did not do their share on the bike ;-0

jenkins unlike ailleen is very a experienced and thats why its good for aileen to race. and jenkins dosnt wont to be in the lime light before home race so it makes total sense for her not to race. and i dont think jenkins has not in the top 4 in a swim ever and she is not really planning to ride in a pack in london ....

• Advertisement
Advertisement