Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why oh why

Options
  • 19-07-2012 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭

Why oh why in triathlon does the person who comes first in a race/ag/division HAVE to be referred to as the "XYZ Champion".

Well done you won the race/ag/division, that makes you the race winner.
    Calling someone, or yourself, a the "champion of", or "XYZ Champion" just makes me think of spartacus and gladiators and unless they did the run in leathers carrying a trident and sword then surely "winner" is more appropriate than "champion"?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Hey, everyone. Tunney's back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

tunney wrote: »
    Why oh why in triathlon does the person who comes first in a race/ag/division HAVE to be referred to as the "XYZ Champion".

Calling someone, or yourself, a the "champion of", or "XYZ Champion" just makes me think of spartacus and gladiators and unless they did the run in leathers carrying a trident and sword then surely "winner" is more appropriate than "champion"?

Because everyone's a winner these days. Champion needs to be a step above. Win a league of races; you're a demi-god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Oryx wrote: »

Ya beat me to it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

Oryx wrote: »

Just wait until he realises there were only 3 people in the AG and the "run" (waddle? :D) was 04:48

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

tunney wrote: »

how different is wet suit lycra aero helmet and cycle shoes to the gladiators ? ;-0 ;-0

• Advertisement
Advertisement